My car bogs out sometimes...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I put a JDM B16 SirII into my 97 civic... It bogs out and backfires after I've been driving it for about 10 minutes. Before 10 minutes, it runs perfectly. I was told that it's because I have the OBD1 distributor on there and my OBD2 ECU is looking for a TDC/CYP/CKP sensor, which the OBD1 dizzy doesn't have... Is this what's causing my engine to run like shit? If so, why does it run great before the car warms up? Also, can I use my OBD2 distributor from my D16Y8? I know it has the sensor inside there, but can it be put into the other OBD1 dizzy? Thanks for all your help, and sorry for such a long question. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Yep, replaced all that... Missing a sensor inside OBD2 distributor, I think. Wondering if I could use my D16Y8 distributor on a JDM B16A. Please help!

Anyone? C'mon my car is running like shit.... :angry:

i got 50 bucks on valve lash. my car ran great when cold, then it warmed up and it ran like shit. a lot of the valve clearances were out of spec. that fixed it.

Originally posted by scottp11@Mar 13 2004, 04:37 PM
I was told that it's because I have the OBD1 distributor on there and my OBD2 ECU is looking for a TDC/CYP/CKP sensor, which the OBD1 dizzy doesn't have...

obd-0 to obd-2 all have those sensors in them. my guess is you are using the obd-1 harness because the obd-1 and obd-2 distributor plugs are different from each other. so using your y8 distributor won't work. if you are running all obd-1 one shit, are you also using an obd-1 ecu??? if you are still using your stock ecu, there's your problem right there.

if it runs right when you first start it up, chances are it isn't the distributor.

and no, you can't use your d-series dizzy without doing some serious afro engineering.

Then what is it? When I printed out some wiring diagrams from the OBD1 distributor (DelSol B16) it didn't have the TDC/CKP/CYP sensors. And yeah, I'm running the stock D16Y8 ecu. I have the 99-00 civic Si ECU, but the plugs don't match up. I know they make a wiring conversion from OBD1-OBD2, but what about OBD2 sohc to OBD2 dohc? A local racing shop here told me that my CEL is that sensor in the distributor, and that is what is causing my car to bog out. :thumbsdown:

PLEASE help!!! I need this car to run correctly! Thanx for all your input! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

you cant use a 99 ecu in a 96-98 civic withouht a jumper harness, and buying an obd2a-obd2b jumper harness is POINTLESS. just get obd1.

also, obd2 ecu's will NOT run on hacked obd1 distributors (at least not in my experience). you need to get the same obd dizzy as your ecu or newer.

meaning if you have an obd1 ecu, you can use an obd1 or obd2 dizzy.

if you have an obd2 ecu, you need an obd2 dizzy.

just buy an obd2-obd1 jumper and a p30.

Wouldn't be alot easier (and cheaper) to just get an OBD2 dizzy instead of the OBD1 ecu, and wiring conversion?

I just need to know if this will fix my car. If getting an OBD1 ecu and harness will fix it, then cool... but I already have a 99-00 civic Si ecu. (not installed)

The plugs on the Si ecu do not match up to my wiring harness. Do they make a wiring conversion or would it be easier to just try to find a whole wiring harness to a 99-00 civic Si?

Right now I'm running my car off the stock OBD2 sohc vtec ECU. It runs perfectly before the car warms up. (except for the 7700 rpm fuel cut off...). <_<

Thanx for all your help! :worthy:

check spark plugs/spark plugs wires...sometimes old and dirty sparkplugs/wires causes misfire/bogging......

I have brand new plugs and wires... I think if that was the problem though, it would run like shit all the time, not just after it warmed up...

this is what you need to buy:

1. 96-98 GSR distributor (about $120 from a scrapyard)
2. obd1 P30
3. obd2-obd1 jumper

thats all you need. right there. thats it.

Your saying go with an OBD2 distributor (96-98) and control it with an OBD1 ecu? If I'm gonna have a jumper harness regardless why shouldn't I get the OBD2b to OBD2a to run the 99-00 Si ecu I already have?

Isn't the redline and fuel cut off higher for a B16 than a B18?

How much is a P30 ECU? What's the redline and fuel cut off? (stock)

How much is a jumper harness?

Thanx for all your help! I really appriciate your quick responses.

I found the jumper harness for the OBD2b-OBD2a for $78 shipped at "JDMshit.com" Think its worth it, or should I still go with the OBD1 ecu?:huh:

Thanks again for your time and help! :worthy:

hell yes an obd1 ecu is worth it...

you shold get an obd1 ecu over an obd2b because obd1 is seriously better...you cant run hondata or most any other EMS with obd2, obd2 responds really shittily to mods (i.e. turbos), etc. etc. etc.

i dont know what a b18 has to do with anythign...im running a p72 on my b16, and it redlines at 8200....a p30 is from a 92-95 del sol vtec, which had a b16a3....

You still didn't answer my question... What if I got an OBD2 distributor, and the jumper harness for a OBD2b to OBD2a conversion and spend maybe $250...

Or have to get a P30 ecu and an OBD2 to OBD1 harness, and spend almost $400...

And also, you told me I should get an OBD2 distributor anyway, (96-98 GSR) so that is another $130.

Thanx again for your help.

that would work, but he's saying to go the obd1 route for ease of tuning or modding the motor. if you plan on it staying stock its whole life, then yes that would be the route to go.

i don't know where you're getting $400 from with those pieces.. an ecu and harness should not run that much.

how are you running an obd1 distributor on your motor? wire hack job? obd2 has 1 plug distirbutor while obd1 has 2 plugs...

Sad, but true. A hack job indeed...:bash: :bash: :bash:

Also, I checked on ebay, and the cheapest P30 went for about $250, and the conversion harness is $110 on "jdmshit.com"... so roughly $360 + shipping for the ecu.B)

Back