my god damn girlfriend is at it again

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

well she goes to get her car inspected today- Now granted, i've been telling her since the first of the month that she needed to get her car inspected, but needless to say, in her mind, the last day of march was the best time to do it- She def. need brakes, i knew that and i told her that she should have them done before she took it- didn't listen of course- now she comes back from the place today and calls me all upset because her car didn't pass- apparently she needs new brakes (hmmmmm), two new lower tie rods?, and her altezza taillights are completely illegal even though they are DOT approived and the number is stamped right on the housing- then the guy at the place went on to say that he front lights all appeared to be stock and so there was no problem with them, even though the entire front of her car has clear out lenses- i wasn't aware integras came with stock clear lights, but i guess i haven't been into hondas long enough- SO now i have to search for stock taillights, work on her front end, do her brakes (which entails finding a bleeder valve that i broke) and still fixing the rest of her front end damage and getting her car sprayed- at this rate, i think the civic will be done by about 2008-

:cliffs:
girl didn't pass inspection because of things i TOLD her were wrong
now i have to postpone my project to get her car running because she waited until the last minute

sorry to rant guys, needed to blow off some steam- maybe instead of getting her a birthday present, i'll just give her a bill for all of my labor :thumbsdown:

Take it to a different place.

yeah, i think that i am just going to do the brakes and take it to the guy that passed the prelude last year for me- but this dude just charged her 50 bones to tell her that he car sucks

Can't you challenge their ruling on the taillights? Despite what I think about altezzas, they've really got nothing to say about them if there's a DOT number right there on them.

yeah that's what I thought too- I'm going to fight with them about that when i get back, but it's this tie rod business that pisses me off, cause i don't a)know what's wrong with them b)know where i'm going to get teh parts to fix them

Smog is emissions, not inspection.

In PA, they have to get their cars inspected every year. At least I think it's every year. And they have to keep the inspection stickers on their windows.

I dunno... I don't live in PA! I just have family there, that's how I knew about it in the first place. :D

my car failed about 10 differnt areas....went to a place that is certified to grant inspection stickers...bribed him $100 and got it =)

yeah, we have to be inspected for driveability every year- the more thorough shops go over suspension, brakes, all lighting etc- the best shops just look at you and slap the sticker on :p

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Mar 31 2004, 01:48 PM
- at this rate, i think the civic will be done by about 2008-

now i have to postpone my project to get her car running because she waited until the last minute

well i got some good news.. i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance. :D
well it looks like my hatch is gonna be boosted first :p i just got my turboXS rfl bov and dual stage mbc today and my tial 38mm wastegate comes tomorrow :D 550cc injectors are on the way too..nah nah j/k

but it's this tie rod business that pisses me off, cause i don't a)know what's wrong with them b)know where i'm going to get teh parts to fix them

1. check parts stores-shouldnt be to hard
2. loosen the lock nut that sits tight against the outer tie rod
3. remove the cotter pin and castle nut that connects the TR to the steering knuckle
4. smack the steering knuckle below the tie rod with a BFH about 4 or 5 times really hard
5. critical! : count the # of turns it takes to unscrew the outer TR from the inner TR
6. critical! : screw your new outer TR on to the inner TR the same # of turns it took to unscrew it
7. attach the TR to the steering knuckle
8. tighten the lock nut against the outer TR
9. take to a lube place and have em throw some grease in the zerk fitting
its easy. if you dont fix it yourself im gonna flame you :D
if you're too scared look in the chiltons or haynes manual-im sure it has step by step in there to but my directions should be good enough
as for the brakes you're prob just gonna have to put a new caliper on there. thats EZ too ;)

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA+Mar 31 2004, 08:44 PM-->
Slammed90Lude
@Mar 31 2004, 01:48 PM
- at this rate, i think the civic will be done by about 2008-

well i got some good news.. i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance. :D
well it looks like my hatch is gonna be boosted first :p i just got my turboXS rfl bov and dual stage mbc today and my tial 38mm wastegate comes tomorrow :D 550cc injectors are on the way too..nah nah j/k

but it's this tie rod business that pisses me off, cause i don't a)know what's wrong with them b)know where i'm going to get teh parts to fix them

1. check parts stores-shouldnt be to hard
2. loosen the lock nut that sits tight against the outer tie rod
3. remove the cotter pin and castle nut that connects the TR to the steering knuckle
4. smack the steering knuckle below the tie rod with a BFH about 4 or 5 times really hard
5. critical! : count the # of turns it takes to unscrew the outer TR from the inner TR
6. critical! : screw your new outer TR on to the inner TR the same # of turns it took to unscrew it
7. attach the TR to the steering knuckle
8. tighten the lock nut against the outer TR
9. take to a lube place and have em throw some grease in the zerk fitting
its easy. if you dont fix it yourself im gonna flame you :D
if you're too scared look in the chiltons or haynes manual-im sure it has step by step in there to but my directions should be good enough
as for the brakes you're prob just gonna have to put a new caliper on there. thats EZ too ;)

Yeah, tie rod ends are easy to fix. Just make sure you get that thing aligned after you do the work or it's gonna be a set of tires on top of all that. While you're under there, check the rack boots to see if they're torn... the guys will flunk the car if the boots are damaged.

And contrary to number three, DO NOT REMOVE THE CASTLE NUTS. Loosen them almost all the way off but don't remove them completely. Why? Well when you pickle fork or hammer those things out, the hit that breaks em loose will seperate the rod from the arm rather violently, possibly harming you or damaging the inner tie rod. I remember the first time I replaced a control arm balljoint. Took that nut off and went at it with a pickle fork and a sledge. Third whack seperated them and the force of the hit sent the fork (and my hand) flying into the wheel well. The balljoint sliced my right hand something fierce.

Also, consider dropping the 10 bucks for a tie rod pickle fork. They'll save you lots of time banging and missing when you're seperating them.

guys, i ain't skurred to do a friggin tie rod, i just ain't done it before and wanted to make sure it ain't a complex process- thanks for the help those gents- it just pisses me off, because I REALLY wanted to drop in my gsr next weekend and now i'll be stuck wrenching around with this crap

Back