My RS*R Exmag Review

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
My exhaust finally showed up and I installed it today. For refrence, I have a 92 civic Si (still have sound deading) with a GSR swap. Lowered SLIGHTLY with ITR rear LCA's and a 22mm Rear swaybar.

I was told with a Civic cat and a non GSR-b-series header, that a catback would bolt right up to a catback, and make it so no legthening or shorting would be needed, so this is the road I took. I Picked up a used RS-integra header for $20. I had a civic cat in my attic for the longest time. I the element inside the cat was slightly clogged, so I removed the first two sections of element (I THINK it's slit into 3 sections) one remained.

Bolt everything up. The cat was defently made for a d-series, and had to be rotated a bit, but there were no gaps.

Now for the Exhaust.

I take it out of the box and inspect it. Great quality. All the welds look great, everything is ceramic coated (no rust owns) Bends are perfect mandrel bends. the 2.36inch pipeing looked bigger then what I pictured it being, but whatever. Tip is my ONLY gripe. It is huge for a "stock looking" exhaust. I wish it was either all ceramic coated like the rest of the exhaust, or was more like the tip of the IS300 (as in there is none) When installed, all hangers are in great locations.

once installed, all clearance are GREAT. My swaybar is not an issue as RSR made tons of room for it. Holding the tip and swing the exhaust all around, there were no signs of the exhaust hitting the chassis. There is plently of shift linkage clearnce too.

Now for the real reason I bought this exhaust...The sound, or lack there of.

When my car first started up it was cold, so it ideled at around 2 grand or so. Its a little bit louder then stock with a slight droan when your outside the car, but its a million times better then what it sounded like with my Thermal system. Blipping the throttle came a very smooth sound with zero rasp. Driving to work, I drove with the windows up and radio off. Basicly no droan. When stepping on it and getting to 8 grand, it sounds great. Very smooth, no raspyness anywhere. Best way to descibe it is how an exhaust would sound like from the factory on a sports car like a 350Z or a IS300

Overall :thumbsup: Great exhaust. I bought it for 480 shipped (from driftspeed.com Good prices I guess but extremly slow shipping. Waited 2 weeks for mine) If I had to do it over again, I would still choose RSR exMag. If you can find it for under 500 from your more mainstream distributors (prostreetonline.com, modacar.com, ect) defently go for it.

ttiswop :) thats cool i debated on that same exhaust when shopping for mine... i went with the hks hi power. Good reveiw, but how is the height of the muffler as in reference to the ground with your drop?

Just the review I was looking for. Sounds great Asmall... only thing is I really don't want to go with the company you chose even though the price sounds great.

i put one on my hatch too. i can hear the intake more than i can the exahust at WOT. lol real quiet.

:thumbsup: Cool review! Either of you guys have pics of the exhaust installed? I have been thinking of getting this same exhaust myself for my 92 cx hatch with a b16a swap.

Originally posted by YouKnowWhoIBee@Jul 6 2005, 11:39 PM
ttiswop :) thats cool i debated on that same exhaust when shopping for mine... i went with the hks hi power. Good reveiw, but how is the height of the muffler as in reference to the ground with your drop?
[post=521895]Quoted post[/post]​

I will try and get pictures later this week.

The review sounds exactly like the Apex WS, but cost $80 more.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 7 2005, 11:59 AM
[post=522033]Quoted post[/post]​

but this one won't come apart after a year.

Originally posted by spectacle+Jul 7 2005, 02:02 PM-->
@Jul 7 2005, 11:59 AM
[post=522033]Quoted post[/post]​

but this one won't come apart after a year.
[post=522045]Quoted post[/post]​

Um, my WS is three years old and looks like it did the day I bought it, I don't know where you got that line of BS from. And the chance that they are the exact same materials makes it even more ludicrous.

chet had the WS, so i've heard it in person... and i can honestly say that the rsr is quiter than even the WS

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 7 2005, 10:46 AM
chet had the WS, so i've heard it in person... and i can honestly say that the rsr is quiter than even the WS
[post=522076]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 7 2005, 01:19 PM
Um, my WS is three years old and looks like it did the day I bought it, I don't know where you got that line of BS from. And the chance that they are the exact same materials makes it even more ludicrous.
[post=522051]Quoted post[/post]​

i've seen multiple threads on h-t where the internal baffling has come inside out and basically fallen apart within a year. for some stupid reason I can't find the threads but when I do I'll post them up. don't get me wrong...the ws is a great exhaust, but I just have my doubts about its quality. I'm glad you've had no problems.

acatually, I have heard that the WS has had rusting issues on salty roads. Acording to apex-i's site "The canister is made of the highest grade polished SUS304 stainless steel while the mandrel bent piping consists of high temperature, titanium particle coated mild steel."

Whiel the rsr is "jet-black coating hides the SUS409 stainless steel muffler and piping"

mild steel rusts. For 80 more, I want something that will not rust out.

I had mine custom made at a muffler shop. Not just any muffler shop though, this guy does street stuff as well as racing apps. Pro-sound cat, Pro-Flo (I know, I know) Muffler, 24 inch resonator, 2.5" all the way back, all rust proof piping and components. Guaranteed for life. Its been on my car for 2 years now, and still looks/sounds great. A little loud for my taste, but its all rumble, no rasp at all.

P.S. Mild steel will rust. I dont care if they coated it with kryptonite. sooner or later, the rust monster will eat it.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 8 2005, 04:54 PM
acatually, I have heard that the WS has had rusting issues on salty roads. Acording to apex-i's site "The canister is made of the highest grade polished SUS304 stainless steel while the mandrel bent piping consists of high temperature, titanium particle coated mild steel."

Whiel the rsr is "jet-black coating hides the SUS409 stainless steel muffler and piping"

mild steel rusts. For 80 more, I want something that will not rust out.
[post=522574]Quoted post[/post]​

Three German winters, more salt on the roads than the Dead Sea, and mine haven't even started, as a matter of fact, the DC header I put on at the same time is looking like ass around the joint, but the piping on the exhaust is fine.

F@#$ driftspeed.com and f@#$ hiro at driftspeed those scurvy schiester bastards stole my 480 for my rs*r exhaust. they refused to respond to me kept making up excuses and now 1 1/2 years later no exhaust anywhere. I hope there warehouse catches fire with hiro's first born inside. your lucky you got your shit! :angry: :moon:

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jul 8 2005, 12:18 PM
What is this "rust" of which you speak?

I love CA. :)
[post=522726]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, we texans are good like that too.

Back