My Small Block 350 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Well, it's not mine, but I did build it :)

My last class at UTI was Power And Performance. We had to tear apart a small block 350 that was ran by the previous class, make sure all the bearing clearances were still ok, rings were ok, rods were ok, cylinders were ok, ect... Then reassemble it, throw it in a T-Bucket, dyno it, then start modifying the engine and dyno it after every mod or two to see exactly how much power each mods were adding.

The class was really based on a person's ability and knowledge to make power by a certain RPM. You really have to understand Flow VS Velocity. As we all know, it doesn't take much to just throw huge parts at an engine, wind it out, and make power. We were limited to a 5600 RPM redline, so if you tried just throwing huge cams, manifolds, ect at your motor, you probably wouldn't even start making power until 6000 + RPM.

Not to toot my own horn but I was designated as the Lead Builder :cool: My group knew I understood the concept of what we were supposed to do, better than they did. The guy you'll see in the T-Bucket was designated as the main dyno person... The 2 other guys in my group helped me assemble the engine.

So the engine I got was technically a 355. It was a 350 bored over .030" Stroke was stock, 3.48"

Our baseline dyno's were only until 4600 RPM...

Stock Engine, Stock Heads, Stock Cam, Dual Plane Summit Racing Intake Manifold, 600 CFM Edlebrock Carb with manual secondaries, Small Tube Headers. I know this isn't 'completely' stock but this is the closest to stock parts that we were given to dyno with. Baseline - 218HP, 289TQ.
iPhonePictures005.jpg

iPhonePictures030.jpg

When we finally got to start adding mods, we got to take the engine to 5600 RPM. First was to change the cam. Our first cam choice needed to be a hydraulic cam and the lift of the cam couldn't allow a valve lift of more than .500" For those that don't know, Valve Lift = Lobe Lift x Rocker Arm size. We used 1.5 Rocker Arms.

I decided on the PAW 10339A Cam. Specs are .320" Lift and 230 actual duration. Advertised duration is 292.

So with just the cam swap (cam was installed @ 5 degrees advanced) we made 264HP, 309TQ. I then added a 650 CFM Pro Form carb and made 274HP, 313TQ.

Next, I swapped out the stock heads with a set of AFR 411 Heads and changed the Dual Plane Intake Manifold to a Single Plane, Low Rise Edelbrock Victor JR Intake Manifold. The Pro Form carb was a single pumper so I decided to swap it out for a 650 CFM Demon Dual Pumper carb w/ a 1" spacer. This set up made 360HP, 384TQ. Last, I changed the Small Tube Headers and went with a set of Hooker Large Tube Headers. I ended up with 369HP, 388TQ. ( pic doesn't show the Large Tube Headers :( )
iPhonePictures023.jpg

Next, we were allowed to step up to a full Solid Roller cam and the valve lift could exceed .500"

I decided to go with a Comp 609AZ2 Cam. Cam specs are Intake Lift - .356" Exhaust Lift - .370" Actual Intake Duration - 250, Actual Exhaust Duration - 262. Advertised Duration - 285.

Swapping over to this cam (cam was installed @ 1 degree retarded) netted me a final N/A power output of 390HP, 427TQ.

We also got a chance to run nitrous. You were allowed nitrous if you were able to make 350HP or more. 2 of the 6 groups didn't make enough power to qualify for nitrous.

With our full mods set up, we were given a NOS Cheater Plate to throw under our carb. The plate was set up for a 125 wet shot.

On the bottle, I made 478HP, 428TQ.
iPhonePictures045.jpg

iPhonePictures046.jpg

So there you have it, a quick recap of the class I enjoyed the most lol.

Sorry I don't have more pics :( My son likes to play with the camera on my phone and he deleted most of the pics :mad: and my daughter likes to draw so she got to most of my dyno sheets :mad: Luckily, I do have my baseline, full mods, and nitrous dyno sheets. I'll post them when I find the software online for my scanner lol.

thats awesome man, glad to see you're enjoying school!
Thanks :) I enjoyed this class, not school in general lol. I learned a lot but being surrounded by immature, wannabe, know-it-all's for 6 hours a day isn't exactly fun lol.

I forgot to mention that we could not touch the bottom end parts. the pistons, rods, and crank needed to be stock. Also, the record is 399HP N/A. On the nitrous, IIRC, it's 485HP. When I did my runs, outside temp was 82 degrees. Dyno room temp was 78 degrees. I feel that, if we were in the winter months, I would have broken the record easily. I don't know what temp the record was made at but I like to tell myself they set it during the winter :p

Thanks :) I enjoyed this class, not school in general lol. I learned a lot but being surrounded by immature, wannabe, know-it-all's for 6 hours a day isn't exactly fun lol.

I forgot to mention that we could not touch the bottom end parts. the pistons, rods, and crank needed to be stock. Also, the record is 399HP N/A. On the nitrous, IIRC, it's 485HP. When I did my runs, outside temp was 82 degrees. Dyno room temp was 78 degrees. I feel that, if we were in the winter months, I would have broken the record easily. I don't know what temp the record was made at but I like to tell myself they set it during the winter :p

haha, sounds like high school! or community college :p

that mustve been done in colder temperatures.. damn them! :ph34r:

Back