Need a good defragmenter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I decided to defrag all my HDs and Diskeeper says my D drive is heavily defragmented. well i defraged it about 5 times and it still has lots of fragments(58% Volume, 82% Data). are there any good defragmenters you guys can recommend me to? also my D drive seems sluggish also, and Diskeeper says theres a possible 92% improvement in performance.

System Mechanic has a good one, takes forever and a day though. The Windows one always works enough for me.

Thanks man ill try that out. I was sitting on the toilet and reading a PC mag and saw the Diskeeper ad so i thought id try it. Its pretty quick and works on the other HD but isnt doing shit for my D drive.(btw, it wont let me use the Windows defragmenter; Diskeeper took over so i have to unistall that.)

I think Diskkeeper is basically the Windows defragmentor on steroids.

Diskeeper ROCKS.

What kind of files are you storing on the drive? Some files are just flat-out fragment prone. I had a folder I pulled off a DVD that always showed up as having massive fragments no matter how many times/what I used. Got rid of the file, frags gone. Take a look at the files - you might not be able to defrag em.

Umm why not just format your disks into NTFS and not deal with fragmentation at all. Probably the best development Microsoft has come up with.

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 16 2005, 07:47 AM
Umm why not just format your disks into NTFS and not deal with fragmentation at all. Probably the best development Microsoft has come up with.
[post=499907]Quoted post[/post]​

Because maybe NTFS still gets fragmented???

Maybe he runs windows 98??? Ever try to run windows 98 on an NTFS partition?

I have Windows XP SP2; all my HDs are NTFS format. the D drive that is fragmented has nothing but music and movies(some DVD rips); using ~77gigs of 120gigs. Also the disc is compressed, will this cause more fragmented files?

I tried to defrag it with the Windows defragmenter by unistalling Diskeeper. Im about to try Norton speed disk and see if itll fix it. Thanks for the suggestions.

*btw, where can i get Norton Speed Disk? If it doesnt work, i guess ill transfer the data or delete them...

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 16 2005, 09:59 AM
I have Windows XP SP2; all my HDs are NTFS format. the D drive that is fragmented has nothing but music and movies(some DVD rips); using ~77gigs of 120gigs. Also the disc is compressed, will this cause more fragmented files?

I tried to defrag it with the Windows defragmenter by unistalling Diskeeper. Im about to try Norton speed disk and see if itll fix it. Thanks for the suggestions.

*btw, where can i get Norton Speed Disk? If it doesnt work, i guess ill transfer the data or delete them...
[post=499994]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, in general compression will cause more fragments. Movies and music are also high on the list for fragmentation. As I said, I had a folder I pulled off a DVD (movie files) and it wouldn't defragment no matter what.

I've used both Diskeeper and Speed Disk, and if Diskeeper won't defrag it then it can't be defragged.

Well i found a program called PerfectDisk and im running that right now; if it doesnt bring the fragments down im going to turn compression off. and try diskeeper and/or perfectdisk again.

Why is it so imperative that all your fragments are gone?

files get fragmented when they arent stored consecutively, IE when one file is split into chunks all over the hard disk.

by de-fragmenting, or making a file consecutive among the sectors and clusters, the head doesnt have to move between the platters to read the file, making file and disk access faster.

I know that. For system files and shit it's great.

But why is it so important for music and movies?

If you're accessing movies that's probably the only thing on the drive you'll be accessing at that time...

i have some program files on there(some games).

Back