need build tips for b20b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Novishok

hey guys i'm new to the Honda scene i actually came from rotaries but i want to try something different. so i bought a 1990 Acura integra ls sedan and swapped in a b20b with 440 transmission and type r differencial. my question is do you guys have any tips on what to do to the engine? i'm going NA budget is 4k for now

A popular and solid build would be:

Aftermarket 12.5:1 pistons and rods (or higher compression).
VTEC Bseries head with port work/valves/springs/retainers
VTEC conversion kit for the non-VTEC bottom end
Aftermarket intake manifold to compliment head work
Decent sized throttle body matched to intake manifold
Header to compliment head work
Camshafts to compliment head work and pistons (valve to piston clearance, rpm desired range for powerband, other things I don't understand yet, etc).
Big injectors (1000cc+)
Fuel pump
Some sort of fuel line modification that can vary
Fuel pressure regulator
ECU prepped for tuning.
Ethanol fuel for moderate hp gains (over pump 93)
Something more nasty like VP M5 for bigger gains but it's kinda volitile

Other stuff I'm forgetting

Get a tune from your best option in your relative local area

Companies? Brands? I have my preferences.

this is my first Honda ever, but i was planning to get skunk 2 intake manifold, skunk 2 exhaust, hondata s300, aftermarket headers etc. i"='m just testing the waves to see if i like it or not i got the car dirt cheap for what it was.

4k to drop ? spend 1500 on a basic quality parts turbo kit on like 8-10 psi and make 350whp and call it a day and be reliable and spend the rest on jdm tyte dood mods and wheels and coilovers and buy a front lip and ITR spoiler and a dope cf hood and still have cash to spend

If you are not doing motor work....don't get a aftermarket intake mainfold. Its a waste.

Intake piping and filter? Yes.

Header is a good choice.

Exhaust is a good choice.

That's only about $800-1500 roughly.

Staying non-VTEC?

I do not think turbo of any kind is maintenance free nor found in the realm of "reliable"

Just my opinion.

I had a B20z2 with a true cold air intake, 4-2-1 headers and 2.25" exhaust in a '98 RS half gutted and it was a lot of fun for being a super budget build.

Last edited:
I do not think turbo of any kind is maintenance free nor found in the realm of "reliable"

Just my opinion.

IMO a turbo setup done properly with quality parts is super reliable and pretty fairly maintenance free esp on anything under 10 psi

i'm doing some cosmetics rn like the back lights, the wheel and the some interior. also i will repaint the valve cover because its disgusting add a filter etc

Attachments

• teggy engine.jpg
    teggy engine.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 408
  • teggy 2.jpg
    teggy 2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 417
  • teggy.jpg
    teggy.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 400
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 377
  • teggy 3.jpg
    teggy 3.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 399
Put a header, intake piping with filter, and 2.5" full exhaust. Decent coil overs and camber kits. It'll be a fun car to drive.

what about some nitrous? you guys ever had a fancy with it?

IMO a turbo setup done properly with quality parts is super reliable and pretty fairly maintenance free esp on anything under 10 psi
Oh yeah, because power is measured in pressure!
what about some nitrous? you guys ever had a fancy with it?
I would take the money you'd put into a nitrous setup and go forced induction. You'll empty bottles faster than you think.

If your swap is healthy just stay non vtec, you have a large assortment of good cams for non vtec

think ill get a walbro 255 also and rc550 injectors

id do stock bottom end on low boost and a small turbo (more torque faster and peaks at low rpm) for all out budget, aftermarket pistons and rods etc are nice but then you get into block notching etc , you can literally throw a small turbo on it on stock long block assembly with injectors and a tune and a fuel pump and make 300+ reliable

Back