need engine building help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

okay. so i have a b18a1 block and these are my questions. i would also like to know why u recommend the things u do because i want the knowledge. im in high school by the way so nothing extremely expensive but i understand that this will get a little pricy

1. what vtech head should i get?
2. should i get a performance crankshaft?
3. racing pistons?
4. a friend said i should get a b16 transmission cause it has longer gears. what do you think?
5. would it be possible/effective if i have both turbo and get nitrous?
6. also my uncle said to build a ls/vtech. should i lean towards that?

plz give me all your reasons behind your answers. i wanna know why things should be done.

i work at an automotive machine shop so i have the means of getting and installing all this.

no bullshit plz and thank you

1.I would go with the b16 head that the most popular one to use go here this will help you https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/build-reliable-ls-vtec-85477/
2.for the b16 tranny it has short gears not long perfect for LsVtec
3.now for the crank take your stock one to the machine shop and have it zero balanced that what i did for my build
4.now for pistons that up to you on what compression you want to run i recommend JG/SRP Pistons.
Go Here for pistons > http://www.jepistons.com/Catalogs/SRP/Honda-Acura/b18a1-b1.aspx
5. If i was you i would go with Eagle H beam rods.

Last edited:
1. what vtech head should i get? B16 because it is common
2. should i get a performance crankshaft? No; stock is just fine
3. racing pistons? Get some Nippon B16 pistons; cheap and work with giving a bump in compression ratio
4. a friend said i should get a b16 transmission cause it has longer gears. what do you think? B16 has shorter gears; which is good. Get the B16 tranny
5. would it be possible/effective if i have both turbo and get nitrous?
6. also my uncle said to build a ls/vtech. should i lean towards that? If you stick a vtec head on an ls block you have an ls/vtec.

thank you both for the information. i have pr4 pistons would those be good or should i get better ones

I would not use PR4 pistons; you're giving up a lot of Compression Ratio. Get some P30 pistons.

Last edited:
Back