Need Exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Niemoh

I'm looking for a new exhaust system, but I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I look on ebay a lot but i'm very worried about exhausts that is not name brand, such as Apexi, Tanabe or GReddy. If anyone has any ideas of where i could get a good exhaust for a decent price, or if any one knows of a non-name brand exhaust that is good, please tell me, it would be greatly appreciated.

A member (rixxxceboy) runs a custom bent exhaust with a dynomax muffler. If you are going for a close to stock look and sound, I would suggest this for a low cost. It looks very similar to stock and sounds real good, couldn't tell you about it performance-wise though.

performance on them is really good from what I hear.And they are a lot cheaper than a name brand so to speak.Avoid pacesetter,they are cheap,but they are the most annoying weedwhacker exhaust on the planet.

:withstupid:
ask around at local muffler/performance shops to find a place that will mandrel bend piping for you... pick a good muffler (add a resonator if you want a quieter exhaust) with this setup you get the look and sound that you want... quality of this setup is dependant on the quality of the work of the shop you choose... so do your homework when picking a place to do it

from the looks of it all they have is OBX.... OBX is DOG SHIT!!
as far as sound goes on the custom bent exhaust ... you can make it sound however you want ... want a quiet deep tone get a high quality muffler and put on a good inline resonator.... want a loud ass pingy weed whacker on crack sounding POS... get a cheap muffler with no inline resonator.... the choice is yours when you have it made yourself

I pretty did the same thing as ricexxxboy but i used a thermal r&d (good brand) muffler and then had a shop bend me the piping (minimal bends as possible) and i have been happy with it. The only thing is i went without a resanator. Noise is fine when in ohio (strick cops and 65 mph speed limits) but in michigan where i live, it kinda gets annoying at around 75-80 mph and even worse when going up inclines. If you want to keep it a little bit quieter, get a good resanator. For the muffler and tip i paid 180 and for the instal with pipe bending it cost me 120 = 300 total

I`m running a Magnaflow dynomax with custom 2.5 piping on mine and it sounded nice before I put the header and high flow cat on (with a whole bunch of new parts...there all below) After the header and cat...damn it sounds mean. Now if i just had my new clutch in .... and the whole system cost me about $250 for the custom bent piping, muffler, and installed. I would recomend it. Can`t wait to hear it with the Zex kit to. Damn clutch.

Mandrel bent? Could this result into a very low clearance of the piping to the ground?! How about the hangers? I know the mandrel bent piping will not be using the OEM exhaust hangers. I kinda like the idea of mandrel bent piping and putting the 5Zigen axle-back muffler. I need help... :(

Originally posted by Niemoh@Dec 22 2002, 03:09 AM
I'm looking for a new exhaust system, but I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I look on ebay a lot but i'm very worried about exhausts that is not name brand, such as Apexi, Tanabe or GReddy. If anyone has any ideas of where i could get a good exhaust for a decent price, or if any one knows of a non-name brand exhaust that is good, please tell me, it would be greatly appreciated.

if you are close to a str performance go there and have them bend you some pipe(2 1/4) and get a universal apexi muffler 15-25 hp gain garenteed

Originally posted by nine6@Dec 23 2002, 12:31 PM
Mandrel bent? Could this result into a very low clearance of the piping to the ground?! How about the hangers? I know the mandrel bent piping will not be using the OEM exhaust hangers.

What are you talking about?There are many aftermarket exhaust with mandrel bent pipe that use the oem mounts.I've only seen a couple that had clearance problems,and those are usually modified from the wrong application.

thermal is good that is what i have and everyone is surprised that it doesnt have the ricie sound i like it

mendrel is a TYPE of bend. basically, its a smooth bend, not a choppy compressed spring looking bend... ntohign to restrict the air flow on the inside

well i know you said low cost... but i got my apex n1 for $389. thats cheap for what you get.

Originally posted by DazedCivic99@Dec 23 2002, 02:49 PM
thermal is good that is what i have and everyone is surprised that it doesnt have the ricie sound i like it

as long as you get the cat back system (dont make it for sols) or a custom job WITH a resanatior (sp?). I went without one and mine is raspy when it is still cold and is a little lound on the highway (but not really that buzzy sound of shitty brands)

okay, thanks for all the help, but there is one last question. Does the resonator that everyone is talking about go on the piping or the muffler?

piping, it restricts flow a little bit but it cuts out alot of the noise. If you want to go without the resonator for a little bit, when you have the exhaust installed, ask them to leave a little room so if in the future (sp?) you want one, you get a ticket, your ears are ringing like crazy ect. they can weld one on for you.

Back