need help wiht 89 htch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

msok

Hi; I am looking for an advice.

I have 89 civic hatchback and it’s engine is gone. It also has a 4speed transmission. I need not much out of this car, just another 100,000 miles. Everything else is new or in good condition.

I found someone selling d15b8 engine with a 5 speed transmission for $250. History not very clear but they claim it is from a 94 car that ran well at 98,000 miles. So here are some questions.

First and general, what you all think about that combination, can I expect a lot of miles out of it?, would it give a little more power to the car, which I would like, etc.

Second, would it be a direct fit mechanically, I mean the same supports, axles, shifting, etc.

Third, is wiring the same and do I need a new ecu or my old one will work?

I will appreciate quick responses since I have to give an answer beginning next week. Thanks a lot

:worthy:

let me try and help

do you want stock replacement, or do you want performance?

i think with the 4 speed you prob have dual point fuel injection...

the easiest thing for you to do is to take the motor and put on your intake manifold and run it... it will be more or less the same hp as before...

if the motor/trans is from a 94 then the clutch is actuated by hydraulics instead of the clutch cable your car has so it will not work without a $400 adapter, not worth it...
if you use your stock intake manifold then you can keep your stock computer, just use all sensors etc from your motor, and put them on the new motor...

the 2 easiest cheapest upgrades would be as follows:
SI multi port intake manifold, DPFI to MPFI wiring conversion and an SI ecu...
this should net you approx 20-30 horse?? doesn't seem like a lot but the car will be much more fun to drive, the parts are dirt cheap, can usually be found and pulled all from one car in a junk yard, and there are a million and one write ups on it online...

the other best option is to go with a cable actuated 5 speed SI tranny(88-91's)...
that 4 speed tranny is KILLING any fun factor of driving the car...
5 speed bolts right in, no problems, and will be much better to drive...
source it from the same car you get the MPFI swap form...

Sounds good, but you might have to add a wire(im not sure about the specifics) for the MPFI system...use the d15b8 ecu(if your old ecu doesnt support MPFI). you might also need a OBD0->1 conversion harness. i think the b8 also has less horsepower than the b2s. the external mechanical pieces should be the same.

my d15b2 has over 200,000 miles and still runs strong, so i think a b8 would be good also and last the 100,000 miles(with regular mainenance of course).

edit: lol; i have a d15b2 not a d15b7.

Thnask
first, i have no desire to make it into a multi thousand project, so i will get a different transmission, 5 speed cable activated, found several on e-bay for around $100

second, the engine. do i understand correctly, that without a new intak manifold all engines will be more or less the same? i had d15b2 in the car, so what would be a good replacement reliability wise? if a find an SI on a local junk yrad, i will go for a new manifold also. please advise whether my understanding is correct

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 1 2005, 03:29 PM

do you want stock replacement, or do you want performance?

if the motor/trans is from a 94 then the clutch is actuated by hydraulics instead of the clutch cable your car has so it will not work without a $400 adapter, not worth it...
if you use your stock intake manifold then you can keep your stock computer, just use all sensors etc from your motor, and put them on the new motor...

the 2 easiest cheapest upgrades would be as follows:
SI multi port intake manifold, DPFI to MPFI wiring conversion and an SI ecu...
this should net you approx 20-30 horse?? doesn't seem like a lot but the car will be much more fun to drive, the parts are dirt cheap, can usually be found and pulled all from one car in a junk yard, and there are a million and one write ups on it online...

the other best option is to go with a cable actuated 5 speed SI tranny(88-91's)...
that 4 speed tranny is KILLING any fun factor of driving the car...
[post=519274]Quoted post[/post]​

Back