New Car -> Not Honda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So, my new car isn't a Honda but its been fun so far. Got a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Was actually looking to get a real nice 99 Integra Type R Clone w/ jdm b18c but I tried for 3 days to meet up with the guy and was unsuccesful in contacting him everytime I was going to go look at it. Needed a car that day basically so this was next on my list.

Some pics:

It looks orangeish from the phone camera/lighting, but its actually red

Anybody know anything bout the 3800 series GM engines? Been doing a lot of research and looks like it will be pretty fun to work on.

Another thing is, I've never had this much torque before, lol. Fun stuff let me tell you. Nice and comfy inside too, a big step up from my CRX, though I loved that car so much.

What do you guys think?

Lol, thanks for the heads up. Well heres the thing. Ive never worked on an engine period, I dont know anyone that really knows anything about engines. I know more than most friends/family from what ive learned here/other sites/online. So essentially i have book knowledge on stuff.

Now, i dont even really want to get in the engine much at all, I want this to be just a fun daily driver. From everything I've read, basically everything i need is bolt ons(yes some more complicated than others, but still nothing i need to pull or open the engine for) to just wake the engine up, make it a little more responsive, add a bit power, nothing huge. In fact, the only thing id actually want that id need to get into the engine any is rockers, and to be honest, if i ever decide to do that, it wont be for a long time yet.

Either way, thanks for letting me know;)

i dont think he was talking about changing internals on the engine (he might have been :shrug2: )
those engines are a pain in the ass to do normal shit to... like change spark plugs and wires
pretty much anything you need to do on those is a pain in the balls

I was wondering that too, just was assuming he was talking about internals. Well, gotta do what you gotta do. Only one way to find out how much of a PITA they are

Going from Honda to GM...
I pity you, but at least you'll find out first hand why GM sucks.

my dad drives a newer one... they're alright.... let us know how you feel about it in a couple of months
should be getting my new project at the end of the week . :D

Going from Honda to GM...
I pity you, but at least you'll find out first hand why GM sucks.

:shrug2: Not the first time. I've been Civic -> Buick Century -> CRX -> Grand Prix. The century was extremely reliable, in fact i fixed more on either of my hondas then i did my buick.

Also my mom had a Grand Prix for a few years as a work vehical and it ran great & lasted well; she put a lot of miles on it. Most pontiacs I've seen have been good.

my dad drives a newer one... they're alright.... let us know how you feel about it in a couple of months
should be getting my new project at the end of the week . :D

Will do. What's going to be your new project? Or is it a suprise ;)

Had one come into the delership I used to work t nd it was pretty nasty. Aftermarket S/C, aftercooler, shift kit, chipped.

everyone i know that drives a gtp thinks hes the shiznit cause its boosted and always talks shit bout my hondas lol....i like the car, just not the assholes that drive them lol.. i used to have a delta 88 with a 3800 and it never broke down on me at all and lasted me 7 yrs

heres a hint.. its old, its easy to flip over but hard to keep flipped over

Hmm... old beetle? Is it you thats been wanting one? havent had much time to be on lately with school now.

everyone i know that drives a gtp thinks hes the shiznit cause its boosted and always talks shit bout my hondas lol....i like the car, just not the assholes that drive them lol.. i used to have a delta 88 with a 3800 and it never broke down on me at all and lasted me 7 yrs

Yeah, i think its the shiznit cause its boosted but i know well what hondas can do, and more efficiently too. Gotta have love for honda, got me into cars in the first place, and i loved my go-kart... err... i mean crx. But yeah, I know people like that, good thing i know better and just love cars for cars, not for the brand.

As Uncle Cel says:
people are WAY to hung up on brand loyalty. Own all you can, experience all you can. Getting stuck with one brand, or feeling that you have to own one brand leads to stagnation.

yeah, i was just playing.

i actually was considering swapping that motor into my 3.1 z24 for a while. hehe the good old days of when i didn't know better :D

Back