New Rig!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I hate you, and will still pwn yer n00b ass on HL2 biotch.

HEADSHOT!!!! BOOOOM

man , I would never in my life spend more than $1000 computer anymore.
it's just not worth it.

but hey it's your loot. I wonder how many Seti work units you could blow thru tho

WOW What horrible choice on components! I have no idea what you are going to do with your computer but here is what I would get..

Ditch the ABIT board. Expensive and performance is terrible. Look into a MSI Neo Platnium 4 board or if you're really into tweaking, a DFI SLI-DR. Even the ASUS SLI Delux is a better choice than the ABIT. The MSI would be the better all around, but the DFI is the best if you are into tweaking a lot because itll take like a week to get it stable with max overclocking on everything, and the most stable. However, stay as far as you can if youre not into serious tweaking. Instead get the MSI.

I have the 716SA and its never failed me. So kudos on the burner. Don't know why you need two. Oh well.

The hard drive is also overkill. Why not get 3 Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0+1 for that price and a huge 500GB Seagate for storage? $2000 seems ridiculous for storage thats barely 300GB.

The video card seems retarded too. It seems more of a CAD card for engineers or something. NOT GAMING. However, if youre doing that high multi-media stuff, you wouldve opted for a dual-core. So instead of that card, you can get a Nvidia 7800GTX which blows anything out of the water right now. Its only $500 so you can get two in SLi mode and that would be friggin crazy. Still 500 cheaper than what you selected and much much faster in gaming. ATi is also coming out with its Crossfire setup which is par with Nvidias SLi.

Again, for the processor, ditch the FX unless you really need the 2.8ghz. Instead opt for a AMD X2 dual core. Get the 4800+ if you want 2.6ghz. These dual cores have been overclockable to 3.0ghz+ with proper cooling. Even if you dont overclock, for the same price you get two processors at 2.6ghz instead of 1 at 2.8ghz.

Well im at it, as for case, I would suggest something big and cool. The Lian Li's are ugly but they perform well. The Antec P180 is a nice, quiet, and cool case too. This would be great with a OCZPowerstream 600Watt powersupply. You'll need all the juice you can get running these crazy things. It has a beefy 12V adjustable rail and its a 5 year warranty. Just make sure you get a true 24-pin atx power supply and something at least 500 watts.

As far as memory goes, there really isnt a best because most of them are the same with different timings. And heres the tricky part, choosing how you want you're ram. 1GB is a must since ram is cheap right now. You can go 2Gb since you're already dumping shit loads of money into everything else, even 4GB. However, heres the catch. If you decide to fill up the 4banks you can only run 2T timing. Lets see, you can get 1 GB and select two 512mb with DDR550 because the new AMD cores support them with a BIOS flash to the motherboards. This will provide the fastest timings. Or you can get 4 and run 2T. Or you can get 1GB. Whatever you go, stick to names like Corsair, Crucial, and OCZ. Seems like the overclockers favor OCZ Titantium and Crucial Ballistixs.

Why the hell would you pay for Quadro FX's if you can just hardmod a $300 6800GT to the same thing?? Also, why the fuck would you need 2 FX4400? Do you regularly work in 3ds Max scenes with millions of polys? Those cards are crap for gaming, and complete overkill for anyone but the absolute best in the 3dfx industry.

If you were doing 3dfx, why do you have only 1 processor? If you wanted 3d performance, you should have gone dual Xeon (for 3dsmax) or dual Opteron (for Maya).

You're setup makes no sense. A gaming CPU + 2 Workstation GPU's + no hd space = overpriced. I can build a computer that performs just as well for $2500-3000.

Sounds to me like he just wants to look a balla.

Dolla sign in he eyes n' all dat sheit.

i think he just went to newegg and looked up the most expensive thing in every category. Hince the graphic card and processor selection that is more than questionable.

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Aug 1 2005, 04:46 PM
i think he just went to newegg and looked up the most expensive thing in every category.  Hince the graphic card and processor selection that is more than questionable.
[post=534147]Quoted post[/post]​

exactly....have fun booting that machine up.

you should build a computer to your needs not to how much it costs.

this is like buying an sgi machine to play games on.

if you just want bragging rights waste your money on an alienware atleast it will work.

yeah that basically what i did, i wanted the best stuff for gaming, and just wasnt up-to-date on what was out there, and what it was best used for. thanks endless for the great info, you were a big help!

and look like a balla? i just want the best computer out there right now, thats all

its cool man atleast your honest....

you want a gaming rig?

my rig is pretty good i would say and it didnt cost me 5k, all i do is game.

74gb wd raptor 10k drive :worthyp:
amd 64 2800+
asus 754 slot k8vse
1gb corsair value select
x800 pro video card

cost me about 1500 at the time.

if you have extra cash go for 2gb of ram i vouch for corsair value select
amd 64 939 slot 3500+ cpu
some type of good 939 slot board

i wouldnt waste the money on an fx cpu thats just me

If you want something that won't break the budget and perform well.

Board: ASUS SLi Deluxe: $170 (I would get DFI, but seem like a noob so ASUS it is).

Processor: AMD 64 X2 3800+ 2.0Ghz: $350 (Very overclockable to 2.4ghz+, but can get 4400+ for $600 with 1MB L2 Cache instead of 512k. 3800 seems like a better choice for the money.)

RAM: OCZ Platnium REV.3 2x512MB 2-3-3-6 1T: $120 (Corsair value is great too, but the extra 30 bucks get you a copper cooler and this memory is a monster so you dont need that big of a divider. I run the Corsair value, but its only good for 210mhz so i run a 4/5 divider to achieve 2.4ghz with a 267mhz HTT with my 3000+ 1.8ghz)

Power Supply: OCZ Powerstream 520 12V@33A: $135 (Enermax's work well too.)

Case: Antec P180: $130 (Very good case with excellent airflow, but its really your choice)

Video Card: Leadtek 7800GTX: $500 (This is really overkill, but at least you'll be insured for another 1-2 year of excellent gaming. X800XT PE or 6800Ultra is good too for around $300-350).

This will crush just about anything Dell, Alienware, or Voodoo can offer for the price. Just get a good cooling system and overclock the cores to 2.6ghz. Pretty easy if you're willing to learn. If not, additional $300 for the 4400+ at 2.4ghz is good enough. This comes out to $1405 minus tax and shipping for the above mentioned. You can pick the Creative Lab Audigy series sound card and Logitech THX 5500e 5.1 surround speakers for additional $400. So for around $2200 you'll have something totally friggin awesome. For monitor, you can get a nice LG, Samsung, or NEC 19" for around $500 with 8ms response times.

Oh forgot the hard drives. Two Raptors in RAID 0 plus a 300GB will run around $400-500. So the grand total is around $3300.

$1000 will still get you a great gamer rig. Ill put pictures of my rig and price later. In the process of moving.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Aug 1 2005, 04:36 PM
exactly....have fun booting that machine up.

you should build a computer to your needs not to how much it costs.

this is like buying an sgi machine to play games on.

if you just want bragging rights waste your money on an alienware atleast it will work.
[post=534162]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Although I usually build systems to those types of specs myself- but then again, I do use them. I would definitely drop the Abit board and those Quadro cards though. CAD cards = bad for gaming, gaming cards = decent for CAD.

Price isn't really an object, I just want whatever is the best.
Right now I've got a Shuttle with like a 3.4EE that I oc'ed to like 3.8, 2gb Crucial, 75gb raptor and whatever mobo shuttle uses. Comp runs great, no complaints, but am prolly gonna use it for a home media pc when I get the new one.

430w Thermaltake PS, and whatever case you like, as long as it has good ventilation.

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
AMD FX 57
2x WinFast PX7800GTX run them in SLi (this will satisfy your need to spend an outrageous sum of money at $1000)
2 G's Corsair Select (you really will not need more than this), or the expensive yet not much better OCZ stuff

Watercool it, overclock it, do whatever you want, I'll still punish you.

Originally posted by Outlandish_Bandit@Aug 2 2005, 07:15 AM
Right now I've got a Shuttle with like a 3.4EE that I oc'ed to like 3.8, 2gb Crucial, 75gb raptor and whatever mobo shuttle uses. Comp runs great, no complaints, but am prolly gonna use it for a home media pc when I get the new one.
[post=534368]Quoted post[/post]​

man that seems like a fine setup just get a nice video card

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Aug 2 2005, 07:54 AM-->
430w Thermaltake PS, and whatever case you like, as long as it has good ventilation.

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
AMD FX 57
2x WinFast PX7800GTX run them in SLi (this will satisfy your need to spend an outrageous sum of money at $1000)
2 G's Corsair Select (you really will not need more than this), or the expensive yet not much better OCZ stuff

Watercool it, overclock it, do whatever you want, I'll still punish you.
[post=534375]Quoted post[/post]​

Ditch the FX57. Same price as the X2 4800+ which is at 2.6ghz instead of 2.8ghz. I rather have dual core instead of 200mhz. Unlike Intel's Pentium D, X2 dual core suffers no lag with heavy single thread apps like games. Hooray for X2!

The PSU is weak. You'll regret it. Look for something in the 500watt area by a good brand and a beefy 12v. Enermax, OCZ, Seasonic, Antec, and Forton's PS are good brands to stand by. And again, make sure it's a native 24pin for the S939. You can get away with a 20pin, but people suffer instabilities with overclocking and heavy use and end up replacing it.

RAM doesn't really matter all that much with AMD 64 systems. Just make sure you're RAM plays nice with the board like DFI boards hate value stuff. They wont boot, but some people like me get lucky.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Aug 2 2005, 02:40 PM
Outlandish_Bandit
@Aug 2 2005, 07:15 AM
[post=534368]Quoted post[/post]​

man that seems like a fine setup just get a nice video card
[post=534647]Quoted post[/post]​

Totally agree. Just pick up a X800XT PE or 7800GTX. Might need to replace the PSU because those cards draw crazy power.

Just a question, if you dont care about money, why not get a decent computer a build/buy a bad ass car or a tight entertainment system.

350Z w/Power Enterprise Turbo>$7000 Computer system that will be outdated in 5 years.

I think 500w is overkill on a basic system like that, but I guess it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I've been running fine on a 400w for a bit now, aside from some shitty memory I had, the hardware has been very cooperative.

Back