New Speakers, how high an Amp?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KyleKidd

Honda Noob
I just bought x2 of these on ebay: eBay Motors: SET OF VISONIK 6.5" 200 WATT 4-WAY FULL RANGE SPEAKERS (item 250349636820 end time Jan-05-09 18:13:17 PST)

Now i know pretty much nothing about car audio setup. It says 200 watt (not sure if that's per speaker or per set of 2). I'll just assume its 200 watts per speaker, so i need an amp that is 800watts correct? Also it says the speakers are 4 way, I'm assuming they mean 4 channel so i need a 4 channel amplifier? Its all very confusing to me so if someone could clear it up.

I dident buy a sub yet, im just wireing these into my doors and roof support. Also my head says 200watts right on it. Not sure what it all means but what kind of amp am i going to need?

Thanks, Kyle

200 is the peak power.. The rms is what you need to worry about and thats probally in the range of like 50-60 which a decent head unit will push just fine.
A 4 channel amp just means that it will power 4 diffrent speakers ie: 2 subs and 2 speakers.
If your going to get some subs too I would recommend you get a 2 channel amp and only use it to drive your subs. Your not going to need to wire up your speakers unless you want really clear high's to balance out the really low low's from the subs.

so when you find the subs you want, then worry about an amp

Some rockford fosgate p1's should be a nice compliment to your del sol. And you wouldnt need to large of an amp to power them usually p1's are in the range of 150 rms... so you would need a amp that is rated for 150rmsX2 or a 2 channel amp with a rms rating of 150. You really should not get cought up in the hype of peak power, seeing as it will only last for a brief second once or twice in a song.

Last edited:
Back