New to tuning. Swaping B18C1 into 3rd gen Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Swinny

Noobie here,

I'm wondering if it is recommended that I tune my ecu (p72 OBD2) after the swap is done. The engine, wiring harness and ecu are all coming from the same integra gsr. I am also doing minor upgrades (throttle body, headers, ignition system). Will tuning give me any significant power increase, and is it reasonably simple to do? I'm more familiar with computer programming than I am with automotive anything, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

To tune an ECU....it must have modifications (a chip) and tuning happens with base maps that are changed based on demands. Tuning is specific and takes some experience and knowledge to acheive.

Also....OBD2 ECU's aren't usually chipped or maybe never at all. OBD1 ECU's are the ones that can be easily chipped.

Chassis is OBD1 or OBD2? If it is OBD2....you need to use your old engine harness. Integra are two piece and OBD2 EK civic is one piece. If chassis is OBD1....you need an OBD1 ECU.

In general, you won't see too much advantage to chipping and tuning with basic bolt ons (header, intake and exhaust). I would not put an aftermarket throttle body on it either....bang for the buck with current mods....no good.

what model is your Civic? - if it isn't the Si model, you will need to swap in the complete fuel system (tank, lines, pump, etc.) from an Si model 3g Civic - Only the Si was fuel injected with a pressurized fuel system - wiring will be somewhat of a nightmare, especially if the car isn't an Si

also, the intake manifold on the B18C1 will hit the firewall - you will need to modify the firewall - you will need to swap to front knuckles/hubs from 86-89 Integra and get custom axles

Last edited:
Hasport sell mount kit axles if yours is a si I say go for it if not stay away from it

Back