New too imports, forced induction, and this site

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Spaz337

So, I'm a v8 / mintrucker and I traded for this car and now I'm hooked. Problem is Im not sure exactly what I have. I'm new to driving with turbo and fwd. And I don't know anything about tuning these. I do have a good mechanic and machine shop and someone I've heard is a good tuner but I wouldn't know if any of em were lying to me lol. Ok, so, here's what I know. It's a 93 civic hatch si with a 98 integra b18 with a Garret t 60 @ 16 lbs. Tein adjustables f/b. Stock motor with arp head and rod bolts. Dyno but not street tune. but that just what I've been told but a lot of tuner guys around here are impressed so I decided to do some research and this is where I ended up. So... How can I tell which b18 it is? Which motor and head is it? What can I do and how should it be setup and tuned? What's right and wrong? What's it worth? Any driving tips, pix, info, opinions, anything would be helpful... Thanx guys. I was told it was 312 crank and 292wheel hp and 222 torque, 134 on 205/50/15 falkens and 12.7 on drag radials

"how can i tell which b18 it is?" on the front of the motor right near where the trans bolts up you will see an engine code. if it says b18aX or b18bX (X being a number) then you have a motor out of an Integra LS (nonVtec) they have low compression and are very popularly boosted.
if it says B18C1 it is a GSR vtec motor, if it says B18C5 then it is an Integra type R Vtec motor. and if it says B18C then it is the Japanese gsr or type R motor.
Another way you can tell is to look at the valve cover. if it says Vtec then its a Vtec motor.
"What can i do and and how should it be setup and tuned?" It sounds like the motor was Dyno tuned exactly the way it is. so its supposed to be setup and tuned exactly the way it is. if you want it to last. keep it the way it is. the fastest way to blow a motor is to turn up the boost without a proper tune.
"Whats it worth?" depends what motor it is Vtec motors are worth more than LS motors
It sounds like a good mild turbo setup. sounds like it was built the right way on a budget.
my advice.. enjoy it, beat on it and have fun and keep up with your maintenance

Awesome! Thanx man! Thats reassuring to say the least. As soon as the suns up I'm gonna see which one it is. What oil and filter do y'all normally run? I was told certain after market filters will completely bypass the filter under high rpm/pressure. Have you ever heard this? I was gonna run mobile one or royal purple. What's your opinion on that?

Mobile 1 is decent, Royal purple is way over priced for what they give you. Personally I run Amsoil in all my vehicles and it blows mobile 1 out of the water.

Sounds like you have a nice car on your hands. be sure to check the engine code and try to get pics up for us to see your new toy.

photo-52.jpg

I got a p75-6 head... Any info on how that affects my setup?

And I can only read b18 on my block and it has a y with a line under it and under the b18 I can see a 5somethin an below that is h somethin but it's all ground out for the waste gate. Anyway I could figure it out? And the serial number on the head don't have a way to break it down?

I got rid of the mudflaps and painted the wheels flat black... I know I could make more money with fuscia wheels but I would have to run a chick over to be able to pick her up in this car with those wheels lol. Anybody got any tips on shifting and shift points with turbo. I shift fast and it bogs and I just slowed down and stared easing into it and slowly spooling into the gear but it's so slow. Where am I messing up? I'm used to low end torque. I was told to hold it in the red but I'm scared lol. Also, lookin for tires/wheels, comments please. I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot but I understand I'm not gonna get an answer for each but if you know something about the subject let me know. Any opinions are appreciated, good or bad

Judging by the valve cover, you have a B18B1 (comes out of a 94-01 Integra LS). As far as shift points, I shifted my LS at around 7k, I wouldn't imagine youd need to go any higher than that.

So far I've got a pretty good list of high end vehicles I've been upsetting... Took your advice and I love this car! Anybody got any ideas on upgrades. Where should I start?
*new camaro ss
*srt ram
*lt1 vette
*Lt1 camaro with heads/intake ect...
*mb sl500
*sleeper 300 hemi
... Just got back from Houston and I ran the 300 on 59. He kept waving me to follow thru traffic til we got away from the pack and then we left from about 80mph. Dumbass move on his part. That 300 was bad, I can't lie. But when he caught back up he gave me a smile and a thumbs up. It's awesome to get that kind of respect. I think I'm gonna get a 1.8 vinyl that takes up the whole back glass lol

And my speedo is messing up now. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. If I bang on the dash it makes it try to catch though so it's not the sensor. Whats the best place to get a new one? And any idea what ballpark this car will run? Felt like Mach 3 lol. I did learn that 1500=40mph, 2000=50mph, 2500=60mph, and 3000=70mph in OD

With your setup, I am going to guess around 260-280whp.
As far as upgrades, the best bang for the buck is going to be an LS-VTEC conversion. The stock B18b1 cylinder head doesn't breathe too well, and even fully worked it is (at best) only comparable to any of the DOHC VTEC heads.
As far as your speedometer issue, you can hunt on the local craigslist for a new cluster entirely, ebay 92-95 civic gauge cluster, or you can get a new replacement tachometer unit from this place (I've placed several orders with this site, they're excellent): Honda Automotive Parts

It says its been discontinued. Its also 300$ from there. I'd check eBay and craigslist.
Something like this, perhaps: 92-95 Honda Civic EG RPM gauge Instrument cluster OEM | eBay

Nice-Quick Car :thumbsup:

The valve cover is off a non-VTEC OBD2

P75 is stamped on the B18B head and B20.. Not sure about the "P75-6. But it could be a B20 longblock with a B18B intake manifold. In any event....they don't flow up on top end like B18C's and B16's

I say it's a nice set up right now :thumbsup:

What's the rev limiter at right now?

Thanx man but it has a b20 or at least a p75-6 head and it was dyno'd at 292 wheel and 312 crank.
I had a turbo'd LS. I know. VTEC heads are really the only way to go if you're looking to make good power. I made 450 on my LS, but that was basically maxed out. VTEC heads will do that stock, and then some.

Damn! So what all would have to be done to the bottom end to accept the vtech? What's the deal with vtech? Somebody said it was like a two stroke powerband... You know how those racing myths are though lol can somebody lay down the differences in all these motors and where do you all learn these things? I can't find crap about these accept on here. Thanx guys! I really appreciate your input. One more thing, if you notice in my pic the vent line on the valve cover is not hooked up. I assumed it went to the intake nipple directly across from it but they have that ran somewhere else and theres a sensor or module or something mounted on the top of it with no vacuum or wire plugged in. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Once again, thanx guys

Back