next buy for the condo--- a new bed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
my twin bed has to go... its old, the matress sucks... and its a twin.

i'm looking into a queen size (king is just too big, and my room isn't that big)

the matress set i'll look into later.... for now, i need to find a frame or something.

what do you think of this?

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1088788

it looks pretty good, plus free shipping...

but its a platform, and only takes a matress (no box spring)

anyone have a bed like this? I've never had anything other than a typical boxspring/matress set.
and wtf is the difference between a foundation and a box spring?

With 14 solid wood mattress support slats, it eliminates the need for box springs.
i could be wrong but i think they call a box spring a "foundation" now
just a change in terminology, i think...

and old bed frames had very little in the middle of them, so they required a box spring to support the mattress

my bed frame, self made, just hold the mattress, very similar to this bed frame except mine cost me about 50 bucks

hrm... make my own bed frame.....

that's really not a bad idea.

but 3 months, and 100's of dollars in scrap wood that i fucked up would probably offset the cost. lol

i'm really not that handy....
i mean, im sure i could pull something together, but in the end, i'd probably just kick my own ass for not just buying something in the first place cuz what i made sucks.

So, as long as i have a full supprt frame on the bed, i don't need a foundation? Cuz that will save me a shit load of money...

Just go grab a steal bed frame for 30 bucks at many many stores.

But remember when you buy a new bed, you also have to buy linens. Linens are much more expensive in many cases than the bed. You need multiple sets, good thread counts, feather bed, bed skirt, duvet cover, down comforter, multiple pillows now, and of course, a clapper.

So, as long as i have a full supprt frame on the bed, i don't need a foundation? Cuz that will save me a shit load of money...

i believe this is an acurate statement

the only time i ever had a box spring in my life was when i had no bed frame so i used the box spring to elevate the mattress to a comfortable level off the floor...
i actually prefer the box spring and mattress on the floor but i think you're going for the non bachelor pad look with your condo
lol

so yea, i've never had a box spring, always just had a complete frame with mattress on top, never had any problems...
and go crazy with the mattress, you spend 1/3 of your life on it, and it's gonna be around for a long long time...
and the ladies will spend more time in your bed if its comfy...

hrm... make my own bed frame.....

that's really not a bad idea.

but 3 months, and 100's of dollars in scrap wood that i fucked up would probably offset the cost. lol
i'm really not that handy....
i mean, im sure i could pull something together, but in the end, i'd probably just kick my own ass for not just buying something in the first place cuz what i made sucks.
its REALLY REALLY easy to make a bed dude
you could make it as nice or as plain as you desire...
plus you already have the tool set, so why not use it...
the first one i made all i used was a sawzall and a hammer and nails, it was cake...
and if you want it to look nice, all you need to do is pick a nice color stain and always use the boards with the "nice" side out... then stain it and you're set...
or you could get a router and really go crazy...

all you need is 2x6 legs, or 4x4 for a nicer look
2x6's making the outside of the frame
some 2x4's on edge to connect the frame
then a piece of plywood to make your "foundation"

you save 350+ on the frame, and you can say, yea... i made it myself...
chicks dig handy guys...

oh a couple more things
a lot of bed places will give you a free frame with the purchase of a set

and putting a pre-made frame together will take half as long as making the bed frame yourself, so just do it
lol
google up some plans for a bed frame and see how easy it can be to do it yourself...
i can even draw you a simple sketch for a rustic style bed in 5 minutes if you want...

steel frames for 30 bucks don't exist. i've looked. cheapest POS frame in queen size i've found was about 100 bucks. and that had no head board or anything... just a frame on the bottom.

unless, prove me wrong with a link, cuz i'd love to spend 30 bucks..

But remember when you buy a new bed, you also have to buy linens. Linens are much more expensive in many cases than the bed. You need multiple sets, good thread counts, feather bed, bed skirt, duvet cover, down comforter, multiple pillows now, and of course, a clapper.

wow, you're a bitch. lol

why do i need more than one set? when its time to change 'em, throw 'em in the washer... put them back on an hour later...
over time, sure, 2 sets would be nice... but its not necessary.
and wtf are:
feather beds, bed skirts, and duvet covers

google up some plans for a bed frame and see how easy it can be to do it yourself...
i can even draw you a simple sketch for a rustic style bed in 5 minutes if you want...

lol this is getting almost fun.

googling.....

I've been meaning to make myself a bed frame for quite awhile now. It really is quite easy. Just a few boards and some screws. Don't need to get fancy or anything.

But yeah, who the hell needs all that bedding? Sheets, a blanket, a comforter and a couple pillows is all you REALLY need.

And what the blue hell is a 'clapper'?

Quoted post[/post]]

steel frames for 30 bucks don't exist. i've looked. cheapest POS frame in queen size i've found was about 100 bucks. and that had no head board or anything... just a frame on the bottom.

unless, prove me wrong with a link, cuz i'd love to spend 30 bucks..

wow, you're a bitch. lol

why do i need more than one set? when its time to change 'em, throw 'em in the washer... put them back on an hour later...
over time, sure, 2 sets would be nice... but its not necessary.
and wtf are:
feather beds, bed skirts, and duvet covers

I'm not 100% online...but when I broke my mom's when my brother and I were wrestling(we were 10) it was only 30 bucks. It was just a metal frame deal, that goes under the bed. Well yeah with inflation now days. Here you go.

Trust me, once you sleep with all that shit you will not go back. Its heaven. Bed's are meant to be sleeping and cuddling in, if one can enhance the experience they should. If you're thinking bed's are meant for sex....come on we all know Sex is meant for the kitchen table.

A Duvet cover is the cover that goes on a comforter. A bed skirt is a skirt for the bed that makes it so you can't see under it and adds depth to the bed and makes it look not shitty if you go cheap and just do a cheap bed frame like suggested. And come on a feather bed is a bed made of feathers. Shit. It goes on a bed, and it is made of feathers. Just think, an amazing mattress topper.

wow, you're a bitch. lol
bahahahha
ooh man that got a chuckle out of me...
i was gonna say wtf? thread count, sheets are like 7.50 at walmart for the bottom fitted joints, i hate the top sheet...
but then i thought maybe people on hondaswap were bedding connoisseurs or something...

lol this is getting almost fun.

googling.....
so have you come up with anything so far?
if you need help finding a simple one so you don't get discouraged don't hesitate to ask...

if you make a wood bed you'll also want wood adhesive, they apply this where one piece of wood meets the other to keep it from squeeking...
i didn't use it on mine and i think my neighbors hate me now....

Here you go.
that frame is weak sauce...
50 frame, and then he needs to buy a box spring to go under his mattress
box spring = 100-300 bucks? maybe more?

Trust me, once you sleep with all that shit you will not go back.
he'll go back the first time he has to figure out how to make the bed and where the hell does all that fancy shit go
lol

A bed skirt is a skirt for the bed that makes it so you can't see under it and adds depth to the bed and makes it look not shitty if you go cheap and just do a cheap bed frame like suggested.
i'll give you the bed skirt...
i like to store shit under my bed, and unless your bed is 5 inches off the ground, which isn't good for storing stuff anyway, you're gonna want a lil something to hide your crap...

I have a Mattress ($600 pillowtop, Serta) boxspring (Mismatch that happens to match.. Free) and a sleigh bed, wood frame Missionary / Quaker with a nice stain that matches the rest of the wood (For teh win) for another $350.

Took me about 4 months to find this stuff at the right price, but now that I have I am happy. Duvetts and pillows and fruffs and borders and trims shit that stuff will cost you $500.

Quoted post[/post]]
wow, you're a bitch. lol
bahahahha
ooh man that got a chuckle out of me...
i was gonna say wtf? thread count, sheets are like 7.50 at walmart for the bottom fitted joints, i hate the top sheet...
but then i thought maybe people on hondaswap were bedding connoisseurs or something...
really i have the bottom stretchy thing, a comforter and two pillows with cases. i hate alot of shit on the bed. and i only have 2 pillows because i hate sharing with a girl. im sharing my bed, take this pillow and get over there. i want to sleep, give me some space. haha

if you want me to draw up some plans let me know, should only take me about 15 minutes

and do you know these standard size of a queen mattress?

Back