No start LS VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
Just converted my hatch to LS VTEC and I am now in the process of trying to start it and tune it myself with Crome free. I am running a stock GSR map modified for my injectors (RC 1000's) and GM 3 bar map sensor. All multipliers, offsets, etc have been left as is. I can provide a copy of the map if needed. The car does have a resistor box wired in.

PROBLEM:
No fuel at the injectors. The spark plugs and cylinders are bone dry.
1) There is fuel at the fuel rail
2) Timing is on
3) I have spark
4) Set engine to TDC and verified that the dist is pointing at the correct point.

I have a solid CEL that will not go away. I have connected all of the grounds as they were prior to converting the engine and ECU to VTEC. I made sure to remove the checksum routine from the map, and the CEL still exists. When I try to jump the service connector to pull the codes, the CEL remains solid.

I'm going to check over the wiring for the resistor box tomorrow to make sure that I did it correctly. I had to solder it in to my new harness. I think I have it right, all the + leads to the injectors have a wire running to them from the box, and the - leads are all soldered in to the black wire from the box. The "dead" plug still has the cap in it.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I may be backwards or off base so forgive me.....but I thought the ECU triggers were the grounds not the powers. Could you have them reversed? I thought all injectors shared the same color power and different colored grounds (triggers)

I had the same symptoms with my kswap. Had spark and fuel flowing but no injector pulse. But my issue was an immobilizer issue.

Are the injectors used and been sitting a while? It's a long shot but you can clip a ground to one injector an momentarily touch the other side with a 12v power. You can hear the injector "pop" as you touch with the power lead. If there's no pop....injector don't open properly. But I doubt every injector is bad.

Could be a bad ECU but I highly doubt it, the ECU worked flawlessly prior to the VTEC conversion. I don't think the fuel pump would prime if the ECU is dead

Its possible that I do have the wires switched. I followed a how-to the first time I did it and I believe the way I have it done is the way it was done in the how-to, but I am going to dig in to the harness just to make sure.

had the ecu been previously socketed? it's possible that one olf the solders isn't making a full connection, or one of the resistors isn't on right. I've seen these solid cel's on a bad socket job, bad map, check sum on, incorrect RPT (ie, it only sent half the map down), and of course a shot ecu.

if you have another ECU, try plugging that in first but don't wash out your cyl's by turning it over with those 1000s in there.

Or, try putting your ecu in a friends car that has big inectors.

Got it started! Turns out I forgot to finish the wiring on the resistor box. Quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever done - the injectors weren't even connected to the harness. DOH!

Back