Noob CEL question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

weedmonke

Hi all. I am a complete noob when it comes to tuners, but am trying to help my son out with his 93 del sol S he just bought. A little research has told me that the stock d15b7 bottom end is still there, with a p08-2 vtec head from a d16z6 swapped onto it, and using a p28 ecu. I'm not sure what the engine harness is from, but the plug on the 02 sensor doesn't match up to anything on the harness, and it's throwing a code 1 and a code 4. I know it's the right 02 sensor for the car, the d15b7, and the d16z6 use the same sensor, but even the wire colors in the engine harness plug are not right. I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on how to clear the CEL codes.
Thanks in advance.

O2 is thrown because it isn't hooked up.
You verified that the O2 sensors are the same part numbers between the D15B7 and D16Z6?
The plug may be off a different harness? Not sure.....but maybe a vx?
The code 4 is the crank position sensor. Check the wiring and if it looks good.....replace the sensor.

Had a look in the Rockauto catalog...the same o2 part # is spec'd for the del sol s (d15b7), the del sol SI (D16z6) and the vx as well. The only plug I can find on the harness that's near the 02 sensor has 8 pins, but the o2 sensor only has 4 pins. Is there a way I can find out what the engine harness is from?

For me......its really hard to tell what the harness might be from :shurg:
Has plugs been spliced all over the place?
I had the D16Z6 and O2 was at the end of the downpipe. But on hondapartscheap.com....it shows it near the top of the exhaust manifold :shrug2: but I did verify that they are different part numbers.....although I do believe they are both 4-wire.

95 Civic EX
South Bay Honda - Honda Automotive Parts Store

95 Civic DX
South Bay Honda - Honda Automotive Parts Store

Did a little more digging... sounds like you were right, the 7 wire o2 sensor engine harness does come from a VX. I found this page Hybrid Automotive - 92-95 Civic Oxygen Sensor Wiring Conversions that details using a standard 4 wire Honda o2 sensor with a 7 wire harness. Wire colors match up. I tried the mod though and still get a 1 code. The 4 is gone now though :p There is a 7-wire sensor available on Rockauto as well, but they want $300. Any suggestions?

Hit up a few recyclers or jumkyards. Get a 92-95 Civic EX or Si harness (I got one for $75 years ago) everything will be much easier that way. Or get a OBD1 DX harness (essentially the Del Sol S) and use the VTEC lines off that VX....which may be your only choice (based on selection in your area) but its a little more work b/c you need to pull the wire and pins for VTEC and insert them into the DX harness (it will have empty spots for it though)

Or technically you could find a 94-95 Integra GSR (B18C1) and it will work (although it would have IAB plug that you wouldn't use. Or a 94-95 Integra non-VTEC (B18B1) with the VX VTEC plugs.

I guess that'll be the answer. The o2 sensor should plug right into the EX or SI harness then? And I can just plug the harness into the ECU plugs at the firewall as well? I read somewhere that all the del sol models were wired for vtec through to the firewall. Thanks for your assistance.

O! no.....wait ...................

The vx Primary on has 7wires because its a wideband o2 same as hx but hx has 5 wires primary. Get the 4 wires for your setup. It's expensive for the vx because its a wideband o2.

I guess that'll be the answer. The o2 sensor should plug right into the EX or SI harness then? And I can just plug the harness into the ECU plugs at the firewall as well? I read somewhere that all the del sol models were wired for vtec through to the firewall. Thanks for your assistance.

I am not sure about all Del Sols being wired for VTEC.....I know all 92 Civics are but cannot confirm your year and chassis. I thought it was only Del Sol Si (D16Z6) and Del Sol VTEC (B16A3) model.

If it is wired for VTEC from engine bay to ECU
......it will all be plug 'n play with a D16Z6 engine harness. There are other ways but this is simpler.

Well.....depending on where your O2 bung is...you may need to extend your O2 wires a foot or so but nothing else.

Back