noob swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rustysleeper

hey all,
ive got a 1994 civic cx, and the already crappy enough d15b8 it it has an oil leak and stuff.
I am thinking about a swap and Im planning a b16a2 from hmotorsonline because of its good price and stuff. this is the link: http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search...page&item=30005

I was wondering if this would work (I think it will unless the ecu is not ODB1) and if there is anything else I need, or need to know before doing this swap.

thanks alot

Originally posted by rustysleeper@Aug 23 2005, 09:25 PM
hey all,
ive got a 1994 civic cx, and the already crappy enough d15b8 it it has an oil leak and stuff.
I am thinking about a swap and Im planning a b16a2 from hmotorsonline because of its good price and stuff. this is the link: http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search...page&item=30005

I was wondering if this would work (I think it will unless the ecu is not ODB1) and if there is anything else I need, or need to know before doing this swap.

thanks alot
[post=544255]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you going to do the swap yourself in your own garage, or are you going to pay a mechanic or shop to do it? If you're doing it yourself, you should probably do lots of research before you get ready to do it. I myself didn't do enough research prior to starting my project and it has been very frustrating getting all the information together under time pressure. Also, find out exactly what parts you are going to need beforehand and have them ready when you begin the project. This is another thing I wish I had done myself.

Find out all the ins and outs before you even order the engine/tranny. That way you can make sure you have all your bases covered financially, and also plan a time table as far as getting the whole project done. Also, if you have no experience doing this kind of thing, it would help if you had someone to work on it with you who is very knowledgeable about cars, i.e. a mechanic or someone who's really experienced working on cars. I have a very good mechanic who is helping me do the swap, and it's made it a lot easier.

If you are planning on paying someone else to do the swap for you, i.e. a repair shop, you should be very sure that they know exactly what the job entails, and if you can find a shop near you that has done the swap or specializes in it, that is your best bet. The specialty swap shops in my area (Chicago) charge $1000 for the swap for labor not including parts, and if you are doing an auto-to-manual conversion, it's an extra $400 labor. Prices may vary depending on where you live. Look on this site for FAQs and guides as far as how to do it yourself, and also on Honda-tech.com. Good luck man. :)

Back