Not Sure What Size Rim To Get

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffg989

i really want to get the Tenzo RS5's but they only come in 17's and 18's and i want to see some hatches with 17's on them to see if they would look to big or not, but i definatly want at least 16's so post some of them too so i can compare thx for the help

Originally posted by BallinPrelude@Apr 6 2003, 03:26 PM
Personally i wouldnt go uner 17's

thats cause your a baller I guess. hahaha

16-17 daily 13-15 race day

Originally posted by jeffg989@Apr 6 2003, 01:56 PM
i really want to get the Tenzo RS5's but they only come in 17's and 18's and i want to see some hatches with 17's on them to see if they would look to big or not, but i definatly want at least 16's so post some of them too so i can compare thx for the help

ok 1st tenzo anything sucks balls
17's on a hatch????? bling bling y0! :bash:
16's have fun there arent many companies that make decent tires in this size (so whats the point)

15's look better, 15's are lighter, 15's will cost less, 15's have better tires available

but judging by the fact that you are looking at tenzo shit id say you probly dont give a fuck about going fast ... so put whatever the fuck you want on there...

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 6 2003, 04:32 PM

16's have fun there arent many companies that make decent tires in this size (so whats the point)

they make paradas in 16 in. those arent good?

Ehh... Grippy but not great treadwear and really really bad in ice/snow. If you do go for cruising wheels, 16"s are the biggest that look good on a Civic. The Rotas weigh 13.5lb.
B likes the Falken Azenis. I have the Falken Ziex ZE512's and like them for being all season. Decent grip, good price, and good treadwear. 30k wear warranty :thumpsup:

This is off topic, but what if traction was a problem on a turbocharged car? Wouldn't 17s or 18s help with the traction problem.

traction = tire size
not wheel size.

going with a 17 because you have traction issues most likely means you can't drive, have shitty tires, or simply just don't know how to put down the power correctly and tune your lag in with an avcr

i was talking about the rotational mass of the wheel. If the wheel is bigger it makes it harder to turn thus reducing traction problems.

how bout getting a better tire????

"hmmmm i have traction issues..... should i get big heavy rims to decrerase my performance to a point where i get traction, or should i get a better tire that will hold the power i am putting down?????" :bash:

Originally posted by keehnel1414@Apr 7 2003, 12:59 AM
i was talking about the rotational mass of the wheel. If the wheel is bigger it makes it harder to turn thus reducing traction problems.

If it is harder to turn the wheels then how the hell are you supposed to go fast? ;)

Hey I have a Tenzo exhaust yo...its super high quality. ;)
Ill be damned though if my roomates HKS rusted out and mine hasnt yet. Go figure.
But anyway...if you want to show and are not going for the JDM look then get some Tenzo's, if you want you can always get some Racing Hart 17's that weigh a pound an inch. Or something like that. Its weight that matters more than size...look at the Touring Cars, they race with huge "ginormous" rims, but I bet they are superlight. Plus you cant beat turn in on a 40 series tire , what sidewall roll??? Beware the potholes though. That is where 15's and large tires come in handy.

a 17lb 17 will still take more force to move than a 17lb 15
so your still screwing your performance
i suggest reading the two articles on rim weight and its effect on performance and handling

and as for the Touring Car reference
you really cant make comparisons with your street car and a purpose built race car

hondarace.jpg

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 7 2003, 01:13 AM
a 17lb 17 will still take more force to move than a 17lb 15

Think about that. That isn't logical at all. Use your broomstick idea. A longer broom stick will be easier to spin if it's longer and the same weight as a shorter broomstick.
And if you have a larger wheel that's the same size as a smaller wheel, the tire that you need fitted on will be less, lowering overall weight.

Originally posted by Prowler@Apr 7 2003, 07:56 AM
...the tire that you need fitted on will be less, lowering overall weight.

not necessarily, a tire with a shorter sidewall is designed to be stiffer, therefore using more rubber... it could go either way.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 7 2003, 12:01 AM
17s are good for one thing. looking slow and going even slower

thats a matter of personal preference. And there are many sports cars that come with 17s, and sizes above. It is a derivative of honda that you need to squeeze every possible bit of speed you can get. I prefer to find the speed under the hood and leave my wheels alone on the street. track is a different story. The track is where I want every possible bit of performance, the street is where I want my car to look good, and have nice curb appeal. For me, that means 17s. As long as my powerplant is good enough to support them, and beat the guy next to me who think his 15s give him 100whp, I'm happy.

Back