nvidia or ati

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HONDA_F1

i was wondering what you guys though about this computer video card market

i recently got a 6800gt and im happy with it...and it benchmarks at the same speed as my friends x800pro in 3dmarks 05
i've never been an ati fan..

my friend just order a sli setup with two 6600gt's for about the same price as my 6800gt and its starting this war videocard war between the 3 of us

what do you guy think about this?

if you want to see us arguing look at my forums
im honda, x800 guy is h8trix..and fulleffect is the guy who just ordered the sli setup

http://f3.mine.nu

oh yeah theres also some arguement over lcd vs crt monitors

bro i have an Nvidia GEforCe graphics card and it sucks balls the frame rate is shit and the quality is poor. im deffiantly gonna pick up an ATI cuz i heard they alot better..high graphic games like NFS underground 2 and SIMS 2 require a higher graphics card like the ATI and its 110% times better

Originally posted by TeamUrbanChaos@Jan 21 2005, 03:03 AM
bro i have an Nvidia GEforCe graphics card and it sucks balls the frame rate is shit and the quality is poor. im deffiantly gonna pick up an ATI cuz i heard they alot better..high graphic games like NFS underground 2 and SIMS 2 require a higher graphics card like the ATI and its 110% times better
[post=449040]Quoted post[/post]​

uh.. what card to you have,

my 5900 ultra is money.. i've always used nvidia, never been let down.

I've always used ATi, and I've always been extremely satisfied.

the new 6600gt's have some serious issues.
I'm still trying to figure mine out. Many people out there are not getting the fps on games that are stated on all the magazines. People are saying the drivers suck or that maybe the heatsinks aren well seated on them. Stick with your uber expensive 6800 (damn 500 dollar vid card) that should be fine.
As for who's got the better system? Who gives a hoot. If you can run stable at max settings without slowdown, then you have enough.

Originally posted by mdlax1+Jan 21 2005, 08:57 AM-->
TeamUrbanChaos
@Jan 21 2005, 03:03 AM
[post=449040]Quoted post[/post]​

uh.. what card to you have,
my 5900 ultra is money.. i've always used nvidia, never been let down.
[post=449086]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Saying one brand is better than the other is like saying all Hondas are faster than all Toyotas. You can't compare like that without specifying a model number. :lol:

you know, when i got my nVidia card, it was not only a great deal (thanks to hook ups) but also one of the best cards at the time. now however, it's 3 or so years old, and i'm still cool with it... but, i'm going to be getting an ATi this time around.

i've heard much better about them, so i'm going to give them a chance and see possibly what i been missin. :)

The top cards from both companies are almost always even with each other in terms of performance and price... it's the mid range cards ($150-250) that are always duking it out in the marketplace.

I duno, I think NVidia builds better cards, but ATI's cards work better. Now that may seem like an oxymoron, but let me explain.

I've owned both brands and the NVidia (Geforce 2 and a Quadro4 700 XGL) was reliable as a fucking honda :lol: They're also great for 3d Applications (3d Studio Max, Maya, etc)

My ATI 9800 pro 128 that I've had for like 6 months acts up all the time. Want to know why? Because ATI can't make good drivers. Thast why. However, ATI cards get better FPS in games.

So, if you want all out performace, but are willing to sacrifice reliablitiy go with ATI, if you want something steady as a rock, get the Nvidia.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jan 21 2005, 12:41 PM
I duno, I think NVidia builds better cards, but ATI's cards work better.
[post=449186]Quoted post[/post]​

when you buy a video card well in Nvidia's case (mike you can help me on the ati side) you buy an Nvidia CHIP SET, you dont buy an Nvidida card. they dont make the cards.

You have to research the maker of the card as well.. im pretty sure thats the case with ati.

Originally posted by ktanaka
My ATI 9800 pro 128 that I've had for like 6 months acts up all the time. Want to know why? Because ATI can't make good drivers. Thast why.

NVidia driver support is leaps and bounds better than ATI, and they've got quite decent linux support as well. I choose NVidia for those two reasons alone.

ATI couldn't code a proper driver if you put a gun to their heads. nVidia has a universal driver for just about all their cards, plus they fully support Linux.

Good cards, good support, good for Linux. Gotta be nVidia. My old Geforce2 still serves me well and doesn't slow down at all when I use the Blender.

... I want Maya ...

In my laptop Im running an ATI radeon 9000 at 64 megs (its shared so i can set it up to 128), and in my desktop im running an nvidia fx5200. I know the 5200 is a budget card, but even with half the ram, and being shared, the radeon seriously outperforms my 5200. But as it has been mentioned, I've also had some trouble getting a few games to run well on my laptop, whereas the game will run fine on my desktop.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Jan 21 2005, 02:52 PM
My old Geforce2 still serves me well and doesn't slow down at all when I use the Blender.
[post=449305]Quoted post[/post]​

yea... mine is the old GeForce2 Ti... and i can run all my graphic intensive stuff and it doesn't slow down much... but i do need a new one... hell, i need a whole new setup.

time to go mainboard shopping.........

Originally posted by mdlax1+Jan 21 2005, 03:13 PM-->
@Jan 21 2005, 12:41 PM
I duno, I think NVidia builds better cards, but ATI's cards work better.
[post=449186]Quoted post[/post]​

when you buy a video card well in Nvidia's case (mike you can help me on the ati side) you buy an Nvidia CHIP SET, you dont buy an Nvidida card. they dont make the cards.

You have to research the maker of the card as well.. im pretty sure thats the case with ati.
[post=449291]Quoted post[/post]​

ATi does make their own brand of cards, but recently (last 2 years) they've been selling chipsets to third party board manufacturers. nVidia (with the exception of the short-lived Visiontek) never had an "in house" video card that was available to the public.

i have a geforce fx 5900 XT, and i love it!! i can play any game on the highest settings, and i still get good fps!

i dont like ati, because i have a friend that has burned up two 9800's within a couple months..

Originally posted by 90 accord@Jan 22 2005, 02:28 AM
i have a geforce fx 5900 XT, and i love it!! i can play any game on the highest settings, and i still get good fps!

i dont like ati, because i have a friend that has burned up two 9800's within a couple months..
[post=449523]Quoted post[/post]​

Tell him to stop over clocking them.

On another note Im still using my All In Wonder Pro 128 It's one bad ass PCI car with 16 yes count it! 16!!!! megs of ram =)

sooner or later Im going to buy a worth while video card.

nothing like having a 2.5ghz comp with 512 3200 DDR soon to be 1g of ram and a 16 meg video card =)

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jan 21 2005, 11:16 AM
I've always used ATi, and I've always been extremely satisfied.
[post=449117]Quoted post[/post]​

it was a present and mid 300 ..cheaper than any ati the performes as well

it was a gt too

ati and nvidea run direct 3d about the same
but nvidia run OpenGl a shit load better..

Back