OBD0 to OBD2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Squeek485

I'm looking at buying a wrecked 2000 civic with, i believe, the D16y7 and using that motor in my 1990 hatch. is it possible, instead of swapping all the sensors, the intake manifold, and the exhaust manifold, can i just swap the ecu, engine harness, and motor? will that work, or is there more to it than that?
all the info that i have been able to find is for keeping the ecu OBD0/1 and swapping it that way. i want to know if i can swap the ecu and use the engine harness for that motor/ecu instead of hacking away at my original harness.

Easiest would be converting to obd1 and using a obd0 to obd1 jumper harness , if it was me id just buy a dohc zc d16 or a b18a1 swap for less than you can buy the car for and have more power and no wiring

agreed, unless you're getting that wrecked car for REAL cheap, it's probably not worth it as you will spend a lot of money/time getting harness converters, re-wriring efforts, etc. the d16y7 is not a fast or good motor by any means either, so the end goal is kinda blah too.

Also another determining factor is if your car is a dual point fuel injection or a multi Point fuel injection car

My car is the std hatch. The owner before me did the MPFI swap and also swapped in an Si trans. The car im looking at is a wrecked 2000 civic. Whole car for $400. They claim it still runs and drives but the front end is wrecked pretty good. If they still have it when i get paid, i was gonna take a look at it and see if theres any damage to the engine. My cousin and i were chatting about it and he suggested just taking the harness and ecu out of the wrecked car and swapping it into mine, instead of swapping over the sensors and intake manifold and exhaust manifold. Thats why i was asking. My current civic is a bit of a wiring nightmare (reasoning behind swapping harnesses if i could) and ive been trying to sort it all out as best as i can, but its recently developed a sweet misfire in the #2 cylinder and im thinking its due to having ZERO compression in that cylinder... And only 50psi in cylinder 1. Thanks BTW for the add and quick replies. Id post pics about my car but its really nothing special or camera worthy right now. Lol just a golden nugget.

It's not as easy as swapping harnesses the engine and Chassis harness will not plug into your car and cannot be simply converted as you think also if you're just going to get the d 16 you can run your existing distributor and intake manifold and the computer will not know the difference any rate for $400 you can get a different swap that yields more power you don't need the donor car you're not going to be able to use anything from it, please just trust us when we say it's not worth it and if you're still curious please feel free to do your own research and see others say the same it's been covered many times on forums, if you have zero compression on cylinder 2 yes that will cause a misfire, if you're already multi-point and have a SI transmission all you need is a long block D16 non VTEC ex d16a6 sohc/dohc zc and you can use all your existing electronics and transmission

Fair enough. That's all i needed. Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a D16A6 but couldn't find any for a good price and the yards don't have anything. But I just got ahold of a guy that's got a D15B2 with 5spd trans for $150. Just needs a head gasket. Easy enough. I just need something to get me by for now while I save up some money. Winter time is coming up quick and I don't want my current motor to give out in the cold.

No dont waste your time with a d15 period, im sure there is a local buy sale trade honda page on facebook for you to find and take advantage of , or craigslist , $500 will usually get you a jdm d16zc from a importer with a warranty , a obd0 single cam zc is a a6 with a hotter cam

Seriously dont even go look at the d15 with blown headgasket its a 25yr old motor worn out and tired ready to die

Also whatever you buy make sure you spend the time and money while the engine is out of the car and do the timing belt and water pump and tune up and valve cover/oil pan gaskets etc. , nothing more frustrating than putting a motor in and after all the work has a stupid oil leak or water pump starts pissing or jumps time/timing belt snaps

also, what sights or classifieds are you finding that i can get a ZC for under $500?

For a price like that I'd try and see if there's some regional car forums for your area, keep an eye on craigslist (sketchy but sometimes you find something good). You're not gonna get one like that for that price from a "retailer" but private party it's doable.

Back