Oil Filter Review

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i know that awhile back some one did a review on almost every type of oil filter on the market im looking for it so i can prove to the guys on the jeep board that fram sux and so does K&N

what would be a good filter to use? ive always used fram no problem. but i hear from a lot of people that fram filters suck. what other brands are good and that arent expensive as fuck, and that i could possibly get from advanced auto parts or auto zone or somethin like that. also while we are on the subject what oil is good to use? ive been using castrol syntec 10w-30. for those of you who dont know my engine is a 94 b18c1. thanks.

I like the K&N one but right now im using the Powerlong Oil Filter. its straight from Korea. It doesn't use a cardboard like filter like all the rest, it uses a mesh screen. if anyone wants to get one, let me know. I know the distributor for california. I never heard of them till he stopped by my workplace asking us if we wanted to buy them, and he wanted to give us one to test out and since i needed to change my oil he gave me on for my car and i was the guinea (or however u spell it) pig. It works pretty good, he said its been proven to restore or give you about 1hp. Not much but whatever helps and keeps my motor running better is all good. you can get more info about it here... GL Powerlong Oil Filter and yeah if you wanna buy one, let me know

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jun 15 2003, 07:43 PM
what would be a good filter to use? ive always used fram no problem. but i hear from a lot of people that fram filters suck. what other brands are good and that arent expensive as fuck, and that i could possibly get from advanced auto parts or auto zone or somethin like that. also while we are on the subject what oil is good to use? ive been using castrol syntec 10w-30. for those of you who dont know my engine is a 94 b18c1. thanks.

if you don't wanna go super exspensive redline oil, use mobil 1. thats what i use. i like it.

It was done by the North Texas Prelude Owners Group or something like that. I know it was a Texas Prelude group, not sure of the exact name. You should be able to find it that way.

how can you tell if a oil filter is bad or not ??? like can you really see a difference between hondas and fram?? oh yeah what happens if you dont change your filter for like 5k miles??

Originally posted by highperboi@Jun 15 2003, 08:44 PM
how can you tell if a oil filter is bad or not ??? like can you really see a difference between hondas and fram?? oh yeah what happens if you dont change your filter for like 5k miles??

Cut it open.

Yes, cut them open and look. Read that review and see what you think.

It gets clogged and all the dirty oil flows through the bypass rather than through the filter... and your engine starts to munch on dirty oil. Not good.

Originally posted by highperboi@Jun 15 2003, 08:44 PM
oh yeah what happens if you dont change your filter for like 5k miles??

Your filter can get clogged and stop working. Think of it like this: You leave home to go to work and it's 110 degrees outside. You leave you ac on all day and you come home from work and it's still 90 degrees inside your house. Your thinking wtf, I left the air on all day and it's still this hot in here. Then you look at the filter for your ac and it's so dirty that it's turned grey from lint and trash. Then you change it and the next day you go to work and do the same thing, only this time when you come home it's a comfy 70 degrees inside your house. It's amazing what that filter can do ain't it!

Originally posted by sloazcrx@Jun 15 2003, 09:11 PM
Then you look at the filter for your ac and it's so dirty that it's turned grey from lint and trash. Then you change it and the next day you go to work and do the same thing, only this time when you come home it's a comfy 70 degrees inside your house. It's amazing what that filter can do ain't it!

Yes and no. Your analogy is good- let me just clarify...

Your home AC system doesn't cool the house down any more because the air flow into the cooling system is restricted. You're cooling less air, so you have less to pump into the house.

Your oil filter has a bypass valve that allows oil to bypass the filter element when the pressure exceeds a certain point. Clogs in the filter will cause this pressure to rise, and eventually open the valve. You're still running the same amount of oil through the filter- you're just not cleaning it anymore.

Compared to the house, this would be like your air conditioning system still pulling all the air in and blowing it all around the house- but just not sending it through the chilling system. It's just pulling air in, bypassing the chiller unit, then pumping it back into the house through your air vents.

Damn, that Hamps filter is expensive. After reading the filter review, I would probably have to go with Mobil1 or Bosch.

according to this study, the honda filters suck...fram was alright...and bosch seemed like one of the best ones...so i guess i will stick to my frams from wal mart.

And what study would that be, the rednecks' guide to import oil filters? Bosch sucks ass for everything.

Little piece of trivia for you guys that say Fram sucks so run a Honda filter instead:
If your Honda filter says "Made In Canada", as 99% of them do in the US, it is a rebadged Fram. Fram does suck, it is the reason I won't run a Honda filter that I can get at my dealer.

Originally posted by mattcalica@Jun 16 2003, 08:29 AM
according to this study, the honda filters suck...fram was alright...and bosch seemed like one of the best ones...so i guess i will stick to my frams from wal mart.

yep, the USDM honda filters suck...but of course the JDM honda filters are first rate! :bash:

Back