Oil Pressure Problem (Turbo B16A CRX)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It will be like 68psi when it starts ,then after 5 mins it lowers to 20psi then after a few races it will drops to 5psi or even lower at idle.Why is this .
The motor is a B16a turbo.............

How can I improved my oil pressure?? very concern !!!

where do you have the pressure sensor hooked up?

and you race it with only 5 lb of oil pressure???

i'm suprised your turbo hasn't fried by now, lucky bastard...

5 psi is low for idle... it should be around 20-ish...
but after that, throttle controls oil pressure (the harder you are on it, the more pressure is made)

now, it might not mean you have a problem. it very well may be the gauge that is fucked up, or its just getting a bad reading, or is clogged with a piece of piston :)

check the line and gauge first...

seriosuly though...

the oil pumps and the drive gears are known to go.

http://www.prodriveusa.com/faq.html makes a good aftermarket drive gear

oil_pump_gear_432.jpg

but i don't see one listed for a b16... just a gsr. im not sure if theres a difference or not

when I am on full throttle it goes back to 65psi,Is this normal??
I would love it to idle at 20psi,I am thinking about the prodrivr oil pump gears.

Thanks guys!!!

Facts about oil pressure... it is NOT throttle position depenent. It is RPM depenent. You could be WOT at 2000 RPM, and it will still be below 50 PSI, but you could have your foot off the gas and coasting at 5000 RPM, and it'll be up at around 50.

In my Z6, I was pulling less than 10 PSI at idle at operating temperature, around 35-42 at 2500 RPM, and 55 PSI above 3000 RPM. The reason it's high at idle when it's cold is the oil is thick and will create a higher pressure. As it warms up, it thins out, lowering the pressure. When it started on a cold morning, the pressure would be up around 80 PSI. In my AllTrac, it hits almost 100 PSI on a cold morning.

I don't know what the B16 is supposed to have for operating temp pressures, but you most definetly don't want too much pressure because that will cost you HP. Not a lot, but every little bit counts.

good points. i kidna meant revs... not necessarily throttle position. thanks for clearing that up.

as for the thinning thing- you live int a tropical climate. what oil weight are you using?
some folks in Arizona (hot!) run 10w 50 oil in their turbo cars.
me, in the northeast, im going to run standard 5w30.

maybe a 10w40 would be a good weight to go for for you?

My b16a turbo runs 60+ psi at idle on cold startup. When I drive it, it will increase to about 80psi, until the stock overpressure valve opens and dumps the excess. You can actually see the oil pressure drop some when the valve opens. It's kinda weird.

When it's warmed up, it idles at anywhere from 5-10 psi. That's on 10w30. It ramps up quick to 60psi or more at 5000 rpm, then at about 6500 it hits 80psi, and the dump valve opens til redline.

Because in cold temps the car makes so much oil pressure, I've installed a small pressure reducer inline on my oil line. It has a very small hole in it, almost like nitrous jet size. Just enough to lube the turbo, not enough to flood the turbo, and ruin the seals. Perfect. ;)

Hey SiR-kid. I have added u on my aol;) need some info

Back