Oil pressure rises very slowly???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

My oil pressure gauge doesn't start to rise till the engine runs about 8-10 seconds or so. This interesting problem happend over night, last night it was fine now today it does wanna rise like it used to. I checked the oil level and it's fine. I dont know what is causing this. My gauge and isolator have been installed for 3 days and the car has probably only ran for 15 minutes total. Any ideas would be very helpful, thanks.

Do you have a firemall mount kit? If so, that would be the cause of the delay. I have a firewall oil pressure mount kit and it takes it a few seconds(maybe 5) to start showing pressure.

It takes the oil a few seconds to go up through the line and hit the sender.

Your oil pressure should be around 20psi at idle and above 3000rpm it should be 75psi.

Originally posted by NoJokE@Jun 3 2005, 06:06 PM
Do you have a firemall mount kit? If so, that would be the cause of the delay. I have a firewall oil pressure mount kit and it takes it a few seconds(maybe 5) to start showing pressure.

Your oil pressure should be around 20psi at idle and above 3000rpm it should be 75psi.
[post=507496]Quoted post[/post]​

yes i do have a firewall type mount kit. it's just strange cuz it worked fine(responded quickly) when i first installed it and now its not....hmmm strange. as long as my motors fine thats all i care about :D

Originally posted by 92CHB+Jun 4 2005, 09:13 AM-->
@Jun 3 2005, 06:06 PM
Do you have a firemall mount kit?  If so, that would be the cause of the delay.  I have a firewall oil pressure mount kit and it takes it a few seconds(maybe 5) to start showing pressure.

[post=507496]Quoted post[/post]​

yes i do have a firewall type mount kit. it's just strange cuz it worked fine(responded quickly) when i first installed it and now its not....hmmm strange. as long as my motors fine thats all i care about :D
[post=507738]Quoted post[/post]​

20 psi at idle seems very high, but I'm not sure what the idle pressure should be. My other car holds about 10-12 psi warm, at idle. Oil pressure readings may be affected by oil quality, temperature, grade used, reading location, engine condition, to name a few. See what it reads after an oil change, with engine at normal operating temperature. As long as your oil pump is working fine (you'd know if it's not working) and the oil level is above minimun, the engine will be fine. The moment the engine starts to crank, the oil pump builds pressure much faster than the gauge can report. Most gauges have a damping system built in, so as not to make the driver nervious with so many minuscule fluctuations. In other words, don't worry about it.

Back