Ordering Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davidzhou4893

Where should I order a motor/engine for my 1998 Honda Civic Lx? I'm looking forward to buy either a B16(A2,A3,B), B18(B1,C1,C5), D16Y8. Or what motor do you guys recommend?

and for any recommendation we first need to know:
what is your budget?
what are your goals for this swap?
what is the intended use?
what is your skill level?

My budget is below 1500 I just need a new motor for my car to drive. I don't need nothing major. I brought the car couple months ago and the motor got blown.

that is not even close to everything that is needed to get that engine in your car

as said above go with a D16Y8 or just get another D16Y7 from a junkyard

other than that you are going to need more money to swap anything in there correctly

If you're going to have someone do it all for you, expect to pay at least $4k for the entire swap to be done. AT LEAST.

Edit: What is wrong with the current engine? Fixing it might be a less expensive route

The engine I have currently is d16y7 and when I brought it, then had a mechanic to check it out they said it misfires. When i brought the car it ran good for about a week then it started to bog. Then i got it fix and ran good for another week then it happened again. Now the car bogs when it starts up, but recently it haven't start up it only cranks. The things I changed spark plugs, added helicoils for two cylinders, spark plug wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, ignition coil, thermal for fan that cools off the motor, oil change and that's all I could think of. Been spending a lot of money and the car still only cranks with no start. I have no idea where to start off to check for the issues/problems.

Also when I brought it, it had a lot of oil in the motor but its not leaking any oil. After the oil change it did not work after and I got the oil change at pep boys.

I'm willing to bet you don't need a new engine. Educate yourself and don't let morons work on your car.

1. Are the grounds tight and attached?
2. What error codes are there?
3. Is the car getting spark
4. Check for fuel pressure
5. Check for compression

No compression? Get a new engine.

I did all that myself, I been on forums and asked around researched. Except the oil change. Yes the grounds are tight and attached if your talking about the battery. I do not have a obd2 scanner so I'm not sure, and the check engine light on the dash is colored black so u cant see the light. I'm going to check the sparks tomorrow. I do not know how to check for the compression.

Someone I know told me that the engine is losing compression because of the first and second cylinder. The person that sold it to me stripped the first and second cylinder so my friend put helicoils on for me. After that it was running good for about 1 week.

Buy an code scanner. It's like $80 for a cheap one. Keep the receipt if you want to bring it back, but I'll bet you end up keeping it. It's a useful tool. It also makes checking codes a breeze. No turning the power on and off and counting blinking lights. It'll make this diagnosis A LOT easier.

Buy an code scanner. It's like $80 for a cheap one. Keep the receipt if you want to bring it back, but I'll bet you end up keeping it. It's a useful tool. It also makes checking codes a breeze. No turning the power on and off and counting blinking lights. It'll make this diagnosis A LOT easier.

Or just go to Autozone, or O'Reilly's and they will hook up theirs and pull the codes for you for free.

So I brought the OBD2 scanner and scanned it, no codes came up. I also used starting fluid and sprayed where the air sensor is and still only cranks. I checked if there was fuel pressure by untightening the screw on the fuel rail and fuel sprayed out.

Back