Overheating???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I was driving my car earlier today and noticed my temp guage fluxuating. Going up and down slowly. I thought maybe it had something to do with my Mugen radiator cap so I changed it back to my stock one. Seemed better, but then it started doing it again. Could it be because I'm still running the stock radiator? I plan on replacing it soon, but I don't want to spend all that money now, and the problem be the water pump or thermostat or something... Thanks for all your guys help!!!!

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah?
Yeah, but since you're not sure, change the thermostat first.
Water pumps rule!

I would say since your not sure change the water pump first. If you dont know the last time it was done you should do it anyway. Plus a waterpump will take out your engine long before a thermostat will, and you dont want to blow the waterpump while your waiting to see if the thermostat fixed it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah?
Yeah, but since you're not sure, change the thermostat first.
Water pumps rule!

I would say since your not sure change the water pump first. If you dont know the last time it was done you should do it anyway. Plus a waterpump will take out your engine long before a thermostat will, and you dont want to blow the waterpump while your waiting to see if the thermostat fixed it.

NO NO NO, keep it simple. the thermostat might take 10 minutes to do. always do the quick easy things first. especially if you don't have a backup car or a lot of experience working on cars. but if that doesn't fix it, change the timing belt while it's all out.

romove the thermostat all together. it will take your engine a little longer to warm up but it will temporarily eliminate a possability. top off your coolant in the radiator and half in the res. then drive like a bat out of hell. if the problem is gone, then its your thermo. if your radiator and res. are empty your pump or hoses are leaking. if your radiator is pressurizid with air and your res. is full, this is an early sign of a bad head gasket.

dude i gave my friend my radiator when he had a JDM B16 AII in his hatch.. it helped a lot!!! get the radiator from "Radiator Doctor" from ebay.. its a KOYO for a civic EG
only 100 bucks but its way better than stock its 2 rows and its bomb. stock gets wayyyy hotter. no stock civic radiator with b16 swapperooni. get that koyo!!

If you even suspect that the water pump is going bad(and obviously some of us do ^), DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL. That is unless you want the potentially bad water pump to come apart and have your timing belt come off and probably do some fairly significant engine damage. Doesn't sound like the thermostat anyway. I have seen waterpump gears basically start slipping. That could be what is happening. You may want to verify that the engine actually is getting hotter and that you don't have a gauge/sender/wiring problem.

Yeah, I thought about it maybe being the guage, so I put my old cluster back in but it did it once again. It only happens once in a while. Anyway, I ordered an Integra Type-R water pump for a hundred bucks, so... just to be safe.

Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah, I thought about it maybe being the guage, so I put my old cluster back in but it did it once again. It only happens once in a while. Anyway, I ordered an Integra Type-R water pump for a hundred bucks, so... just to be safe.
Good call.. replace the thermostat too..

GSRCIVICTN, it could very easily be a thermostat sticking closed.
The thermostat sticking closed would be more of a 'sometimes' problem than a water pump 'going out'.

Yeah, I will. The water pump should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll probably pick up a thermostat tomarrow morning.

Are you sure the fan is working? I had a bad relay and it did the same thing. I've added a switch and haven't had an issue since.

if the fan just went out the temp wouldnt just bounce around it would shoot up. please lets us know how this ends up, i have a type r pump on my ls vtec and oil pump and think they are the shit.

Well, I replaced the thermostat yesterday. It hasn't done it yet, so... Hopefully that fixed the problem. I'm gonna put on the new water pump when it gets here anyway just for insurance.

in all my years with hondas my only heat problem was the thermostat sticking closed,i drove with a busted radiator for a month never over heated,i had a waterpump leaking drove it for a couple weeks then fixed that the only problem i had luke i said was a thermostat,and i abuse the piss out off my hondas

Like I said, I replaced the thermostat already. I was driving to work this morning, and the damn thing started doing it again. My water pump didn't come today, so hopefully it'll be here tomarrow. I'm gonna replace the fan switch too, but I don't think it's messed up. I hear the fan kick on when my car is just idling, so.... Just for insurance.

Never seen a thermostat stick open, then stick closed, open, then closed. Every bad thermostat I have EVER seen stick open OR closed, not back and forth. I have seen several pump gears starting to slip(not on a Honda, but other makes) causing what you are describing. That's why I think waterpump. I could be wrong, but that seems to be about the only thing it could be. Even more so now that you say your fan is working fine. Just to make sure, it's not your fan for your a/c condenser is it? You said you "heard" the fan. Make sure it is the right one kicking on.

(typo corrected)

Naw, it's not the fan for the A/C condenser.... My CX came without A/C, power steering, cruise control.... But no, I witnessed the fan coming on today.
Just got off work, so I'm gonna go get started on this water pump, it finally came in today... I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Back