Painting a body kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

I know a true ricer always leaves his kit in primer, but im going to do one better. Im about to be getting my kit today or tomarow, and im painting my whole car tomarow. Im just curious if i paint the kit on or off the car?

but put the kit on and leave on there for 3-7 days to let it settle....if you paint it right away it might fuck up the paint down the road...

Originally posted by formby@Jul 6 2005, 12:19 PM
but put the kit on and leave on there for 3-7 days to let it settle....if you paint it right away it might fuck up the paint down the road...
[post=521513]Quoted post[/post]​

good idea, since this is a poly kit, it didnt realize how flexable it is.

are you doing it? or a shop?
if your doing it off the car ( unless you know how to feather and blend)
a shop would prob leave it on

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jul 7 2005, 01:20 AM
are you doing it? or a shop?
if your doing it off the car ( unless you know how to feather and blend)
a shop would prob leave it on
[post=521978]Quoted post[/post]​

Im doing it in my "driveway shop" and I am doing a complete paint job as well.

I would fit the kit on the car, make sure everything lines up well, then take it back off and prep/paint it. this way you will be able to cover all your edges and areas you wont be able to while the kit is on the car. Proffessionally this is the right way to do it.

if you are painting outside beware of neighbors houses and cars...

my friend fucked up when he sprayed his car outside and now he's got neighbors seeking legal action over the overspray on their cars...

fit the kit, then take it back off...
if its WW urethane then it should not need to settle much, should be near perfect fit right out of the box, but def keep that in mind if the parts are twisted in the box...

you always wanna drill holes and fit before painting...
drilling into fresh paint is nerve racking to say the least...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 7 2005, 08:38 AM

my friend fucked up when he sprayed his car outside and now he's got neighbors seeking legal action over the overspray on their cars...

if its WW urethane then it should not need to settle much, should be near perfect fit right out of the box, but def keep that in mind if the parts are twisted in the box...

[post=522057]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks guys.
Unfortuantly one of the side skirts was twisted 180 when i got it, so ive had it laying out in the sun for the past 2 days. its almost back to normal.

I dont realy want to drill this stuff, especialy the door caps, but i dont want them falling off on the road too. I have some 3m doublesided tape, but im not sure how that will work. oh well. we'll see.

Originally posted by 5speed4life+Jul 7 2005, 09:12 AM-->
reckedracing
@Jul 7 2005, 08:38 AM

Thanks guys.
Unfortuantly one of the side skirts was twisted 180 when i got it, so ive had it laying out in the sun for the past 2 days. its almost back to normal.

I dont realy want to drill this stuff, especialy the door caps, but i dont want them falling off on the road too. I have some 3m doublesided tape, but im not sure how that will work. oh well. we'll see.
[post=522068]Quoted post[/post]​

oh god >.< if you try to permanently attach a body kit with double stick tape, I will murder you. Just drill a hole and screw it in. don't be lazy.

Originally posted by Lantis+Jul 7 2005, 10:35 AM-->
Originally posted by 5speed4life@Jul 7 2005, 09:12 AM
reckedracing
@Jul 7 2005, 08:38 AM

Thanks guys.

[post=522068]Quoted post[/post]​

oh god >.< if you try to permanently attach a body kit with double stick tape, I will murder you. Just drill a hole and screw it in. don't be lazy.
[post=522100]Quoted post[/post]​

Im not being lazy, i used the search function and every post i see on how to attach door caps, its been to use double sided tape.

Fuck the tape. Use 3M windo-weld, you know that urethane glue they use to install windshields in cars. Makes a great body adhesive, and far more durable than double sided tape. :p

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 8 2005, 12:04 AM
Fuck the tape. Use 3M windo-weld, you know that urethane glue they use to install windshields in cars. Makes a great body adhesive, and far more durable than double sided tape. :p
[post=522465]Quoted post[/post]​

Lol, i was thinking about it, but at the same time i dont want to have a mess. Plus id have to hold the panel untill it dried. I dont want to drill it.

we used window-weld to attach my side skirts (click link in sig) without drilling and it held up like woah. I drug those bastards a couple times. And no you don't wanna hold it, it takes 24 hours to cure. Just tape the door cap on once you glue it. Even better, mix some windo-weld with JB-weld. JB cures quickly so it will hold up while the windo-weld cures, then tape it to be safe.

rather than using window weld go to a body shop supply store and buy some panel adhesive works the same faster setting and a higher inital grab

My uncle is a professional painter and owns his own shop, and he always paints with body on the car, that way you dont have to worry about it getting all scratched up or anything trying to put it back on the car.

As for the side skirts I would also recommend unrethane, it holds better than anything else you'll find

Originally posted by crxdxb16a@Jul 9 2005, 09:13 PM
My uncle is a professional painter and owns his own shop, and he always paints with body on the car, that way you dont have to worry about it getting all scratched up or anything trying to put it back on the car.

As for the side skirts I would also recommend unrethane, it holds better than anything else you'll find
[post=523322]Quoted post[/post]​

I have urethane sideskirts, and urethane paint. I also have the high flex primer.

I figured out what im going to do. Im gona outline the whole body, do the door jams, inner fenders, the outside of the body kit, etc... Then im going to install the body kit, and paint it all as a whole.

This way, i already coverd all the edges i couldnt normaly get, but at the same time, all the paint will be even.

Back