Partisan politics: Has it gone too far?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
We disagree on allot: Health care, social issues, civil rights, war, oil policy, etc. And that's good, America has always been about debate and moving forward on common ground.

But something disturbed me this week.

When our Vice President (and yes I know allot of you don't like him but he is the VP) was nearly killed earlier this week it was like the entire country, especially the media, didn't really care.

Remember back to JFK who was a President, RFK who ran for President, the failed attempt on Regan's life. These were all huge "STOP THE PRESSES" stories.

Here's my question:

Have partisan politics gone so far that the majority of the country doesn't care when our elected leaders are attacked, so long as their current public approval rating is in the tank? This is not just an American life we're talking about it's an attack on our current VP of the USA by a terrorist.

It just really bothered me that the Anna Nichole trial got more attention then this did, please reply.

I just felt like I heard the country say

"well we don't like the war so it doesn't really matter if our elected officals are murdered"

Well, these are my feelings on the whole thing, in a nutshell.

When you guys (conservatives) continuously call us (liberals) things like "traitors", "terrorists", "anti-semitic", "unpatriotic" and tell everyone that we hate this country... don't expect us to give a flying fuck what happens to one of your poster boys.

I don't know if it has anything to do with conservatives/liberals is what Silverchild is trying to say.

I barely even caught word of this and at that, pretty lame on the media's point. Me personally. Im an extreme optimist and I believe he should be viewed as a public figure(a leader if you will) even though we disagree with his policies in some current sense.

I don't know if it has anything to do with conservatives/liberals is what Silverchild is trying to say.

I barely even caught word of this and at that, pretty lame on the media's point. Me personally. Im an extreme optimist and I believe he should be viewed as a public figure(a leader if you will) even though we disagree with his policies in some current sense.

I knew about it the day it happened. I'm actually surprised that it took everyone else this long to catch wind of it.

What you've got right now clogging the pipes is several hundred people playing tug-of-war with the rotting corpse of a supermodel (WILL THEY PUT HER IN THE FUCKING GROUND ALREADY?!?!?!?) and a shaved and tattooed has-been singer that's one tabloid article away from the deep end.

it's just what sells. what sells more articles, US weekly or USA today? i bet it's US weekly. people care more about drama and bullshit. plus, you have to remember, 90% of america is fucking retards. they don't vote, have no ambition in life, and don't think about what is going on outside of there tiny little bubble.

this is one of those things that is annoying, yes it's dumb that people don't care. but you can't change it. so you have to accept it. it's shitty, but people really are this dumb to only care about a drugged out pop singer and 39 year old whore.

i think most of the country doesn't care because this country would be better off without that asshole as VP in the first place

its kinda like someone extorting money from you, then they get wacked... do you give a shit?

If I read this thread, I would prolly be infuriated.

So I wont. Just stopping in to say "fuck you" to the Libs.

My point is made.

so let me get you straight

because those on the far right (sorry cel that's you) are paranoid of anyone left of center it doesn't bother you that terrorists are making attempts on the lives of our elected officials?

nice dude, a very educated stance...

so let me get you straight

because those on the far right (sorry cel that's you) are paranoid of anyone left of center it doesn't bother you that terrorists are making attempts on the lives of our elected officials?

nice dude, a very educated stance...

He went to the hottest spot on the planet... did you expect the insurgents to stay home for a Cheney holiday?

If there's any word of a high up guy heading into the hot zone, chances are there will be an attempt on his life. That's just common sense. Cheney should have been (and probably was) aware of this.

Also, paranoid is not the word I would use to describe what I am talking about. Hateful is more like it. You expect me to be compassionate towards someone whose views and the views of his supporters describe me as a traitor to my country because of my political beliefs?

You're just now coming to this conclusion? I've been saying this for years. It's all well and good when partisan politics swing your way, but it's a different story when they swing the other way isn't it?

see this is the misconception

I don't back Bush on his politics. I'm pro choice, pro stem cell research, even pro sep of church and state. But I side with Bush on Iraq because they threatened to attack us one year after 911 and failed to comply with UN resolutions that were written to be complied with on pain of military conflict.

That doesn't mean I think he's ran the war with flying colors, but I realize we can't leave because THEY (radical Islamic terrorists and soldiers) have declared war on us and Iraq is a nice, flat piece of ground to fight them on that doesn't have a US zipcode. And as a side bar I'll reintegrate that if you think leaving Iraq will ease US conflict you are on crack

that being said.

When I speak about the former President I say Former President Clinton, even when I'm pressed for time I say Clinton. You will never hear me call him "Bubba" (his slander name similar to Dubbya that the liberals use). In fact I don't even think Cel's done that and he's farther right then I. But on the other side those on the far left refuse to even Call President Bush their President claiming "I didn't vote for him" and denying the authority of our election process and then refer to him as a Nazi or the Hitler in some cases

I'm not saying you don't have a point, I'm saying the Right isn't participating as much as you would have me believe.

and for the record if Kerry was in office and Edwards almost died at the hands of Al Qaeda I would advocate the won-ton destruction of anyone or anything associated with the attempt, and I CAN'T stand Edwards, belive that.

He went to the hottest spot on the planet... did you expect the insurgents to stay home for a Cheney holiday?

If there's any word of a high up guy heading into the hot zone, chances are there will be an attempt on his life. That's just common sense. Cheney should have been (and probably was) aware of this.

Also, paranoid is not the word I would use to describe what I am talking about. Hateful is more like it. You expect me to be compassionate towards someone whose views and the views of his supporters describe me as a traitor to my country because of my political beliefs?

so agian you are saying it's no big deal someone tried to kill your Vice President... then you refer to others as hateful?

Pot, Kettle, Thank you

so agian you are saying it's no big deal someone tried to kill your Vice President... then you refer to others as hateful?

Pot, Kettle, Thank you

I never said it wasn't a big deal. What I said was that I could have seen that coming from a parsec away and that you are not going to get my overwhelming compassion for him because of his views and the views of his supporters towards people like me.

Now, if I had said "Too bad they missed", that would be hateful.

you knew this was coming... but..

:shrug2: I didn't elect him.

and the majority of people who voted for bush didn't want to vote for him either.

I wish we could vote for each person individually, not as a collective.

you knew this was coming... but..

:shrug2: I didn't elect him.

and the majority of people who voted for bush didn't want to vote for him either.

I wish we could vote for each person individually, not as a collective.

John Milton: Eddie Barzoon! Eddie Barzoon! Ha! I nursed him through two divorces, a cocaine rehab, and a pregnant receptionist. God's creature, right? God's special creature? Ha! And I've warned him, Kevin, I've warned him every step of the way. Watching him bounce around like a fucking game, like a wind-up toy! Like 250 pounds of self-serving greed on wheels! The next thousand years is right around the corner, Kevin, and Eddie Barzoon--take a good look. Because he's the poster child for the next millennium! These people, it's no mystery where they come from. You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it could split atoms with its desire, you build egos the size of cathedrals, fiberopticly connect the world to every-eager-impulse, grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green gold-played fantasies until every human becomes an aspiring emperor! Becomes his own God! Where can you go from there? And as for scrambling from one deal to the next, who's got his eye on the planet? As the air thickens, the water sours, even the bees honey takes on the metallic taste of radioactivity--and it just keeps coming! And it just keeps coming! Faster and faster! There's no chance to think, to prepare, it's `buy futures, sell futures' when there is no future!! We've got a runaway train, boy!! We've got a billion Eddie Barzoons all jogging into the future. Every one of them reading to fist-fuck God's ex-planet, lick their fingers clean as they reach out with their pristine cybernetic keyboards to total up their billable hours!! And then it hits home! It's a little late in the game to buy out now!! Your belly's too full, your dick is sore, your eyes are bloodshot, and you're screaming for someone to help!! But guess what? There's no one there!! You're all alone, Eddie!! [mocking] You're God's special little creature!!
Maybe it's true. Maybe God threw the dice once too often. Maybe He let us all down.
does that description remind you of anyone? it's reminds me of at least half our country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back