Playstation 3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee look at the specs!

CPU

Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

EDIT: AAAAHHHH FUCK!!! Move this to electronics please. :ph34r:

This post belongs in our Computers, Games, Electronics etc Forum. Please look for your post there.

:moved:

Thanks,

The Moderating Team

Lets just wait for the final version. Maybe XBOX released their prototype specs so they can see what other companys are up to, like maybe what is probally happening here(or vice versa).

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 16 2005, 09:02 PM
Lets just wait for the final version. Maybe XBOX released their prototype specs so they can see what other companys are up to, like maybe what is probally happening here(or vice versa).
[post=500239]Quoted post[/post]​

The overall system performance of the 360 is one teraflop. That's with three cores! The PS3 is doulbe that.

Good luck Microsoft getting their hands on cell processors. That single fact alone will utterly destroy the 360. Cell processing will shift the entire electronic market... from game consoles to PCs.

At two teraflops total system performance, utilizing cell processing, 80 PS3's clustered would blow away Blue Gene, the world's fastest supercomputer. Think about that. Blue Gene is 32 racks, with 1024 processors per rack. 80 PS3's at approximately 300 a shot would give you the world's fastest computer for a little over 24 grand.

That is simply amazing.

The processor on that video card is almost the speed of my computer processor (600MHz), thats sad really.

wow thats amazing....

Oh wait, i have no clue what any of that means

While i am a playstation supporter, the guy from nintendo had it right when he said that it is not the graphic capabilities that make the machine, its the games. That is why, unfortunately, the Dreamcast failed.
That aside, it almost seems like the xbox 360 is moving in a different direction from the playstation. check out the may 14th entry on http://www.gamegirladvance.com/ as there is some interesting perspective on the subject.

it looks pimp as fuck too

wOTI3NTEyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTI3NTEzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTI3NTE0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTI3NTE1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTI3NTE2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wOTI3NTE3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Originally posted by Guy@May 16 2005, 10:50 PM
While i am a playstation supporter, the guy from nintendo had it right when he said that it is not the graphic capabilities that make the machine, its the games. That is why, unfortunately, the Dreamcast failed.
That aside, it almost seems like the xbox 360 is moving in a different direction from the playstation. check out the may 14th entry on http://www.gamegirladvance.com/ as there is some interesting perspective on the subject.
[post=500312]Quoted post[/post]​

What the Xbox360 wants to do, the laptop I am typing this on already does. A set top box that does the same you say? No problem, just get a video card with S-Video out.

Microsoft CANNOT compete. Period. End of discussion. That's why they try to change the game to favor them. The trick is that Sony can flip right around and aim the PS3 at that exact same market. And with a much MUCH MUCH more powerful system, they can drop the hammer down on the Redmond giant.

Don't think so? Think about this... Sony is the only company that has EVER stood a chance at dethroning Nintendo from the portable market. Every other portable system has failed. Game Gear, TurboExpress, Neo-Geo Pocket, Lynx, Wonderswan, they all died. The PSP is putting the fear of the gods in Nintendo. That is a feat in itself.

Sony also entered the game market with the Playstation and dominated from the start. If nothing else, Sony knows how to make a game system.

We (the hackers) will always get our hands on the consoles and make them do things they were never intended to do. I helped develop the first Gameboy Printer emulator for the PC so those little four color pictures could be saved as jpegs (yes I know, the printer was a HORRIBLE idea but still it was where I got my hands dirty in console hacking for the first time). Even if Sony doesn't try to directly compete against Microsoft in their chosen game, the PS3 will definitely be thrown into the battle. Given those specs, it will be an easy one to win. I wouldn't be suprised if PS3's start being Linux render consoles (I'd buy one just for that). With all that power, there's almost no end to what you can do with it. Cell processing makes it that much better. Clustering is transparent... even with non-PS3 systems. If it has a Cell in it, it will use it. Distributed processing across the internet will also become a reality. Need more processing power? Grab some off the net! Your desktop, TV, PDA, ANYTHING that has a cell will be able to pitch in processor power. With the PS3 processor's roots in PowerPC, it won't be long before a Linux distro is written (probably happening now). Also it won't take Apple more than a thought before Macs are equipped with Cell processors (they are graphics systems ya know).

My belief still stands... the only good things Microsoft makes are keyboards and mice.

yeah, I was splooging myself over that earlier. check out the streaming vids on gamespot, they will blow you all away :worthy:

Overkill, nice, but overkill. Your average joe that makes up the market probably doesn't even know what half those specs mean. They are going to buy one or the other because they know the name, and it is pretty.

jesus, thats one hella gaming platform....

You guys evern heard of Infinium Labs...The make the Phanton Gaming System....what do you guys think of it

Phantom

Originally posted by corvetteguy@May 17 2005, 01:41 PM
Alienwareor

how about alienware's console
[post=500444]Quoted post[/post]​

Lame, a lesser version of my PC with crappier options, and three times the price :(

This one looks better for the cost ($399)...Apex

Except, this makes no sense...

Advantages: -- Use nearly any PC game cd or dvd
-- Console-to-console connectivity
-- No monthly subscription
-- Functions as a DVD Video Player, Audio Jukebox, and Slide Show Presenter

Disadvantages: -- Must buy your own games from a third party
-- No console-to-console connectivity
-- Limited parental controls

Sony does it again. :)

The reason I like it is simply that it's still a gaming consol. Xbox 360 is a friggin Dell computer, but no windows XP. If I want to play a PC game, I'll play it on a PC, which can do it much better anyways.

But seriously....Microsoft is going to get proper fucked in the gaming business as soon as the PS3 consol debuts.

Back