PLEASE HELP!!! 95 hatch GSR won't stay on!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmota18

(95 civic hatch gsr swap. Intake, header, exhaust)
Just got this car last Monday, don't know too much about it. It's been running fine, pulled hard. Saturday it started to snow, temp dropped drastically. Noticed the car started to sputter. After a couple sputters I pulled over and noticed the air filter was a little wet. Pulling into the driveway it died twice. Today it turned on first crank, after maybe 30sec the car started to sputter then died. After doing that for a bit we noticed that when we disconnected the MAPsensor it idled fine. Replaced MAP, didn't change a bit. Then we noticed that in the 30 or so sec the car idles fine, under throttle it'll sputter, off throttle it'll idle fine until eventually it'll start to sputter on its own and eventually die. For a while it would only crank and not start. Eventually it started to do the same; crank, run, sputter, die. I dont know how much water it sucked in, I'm guessing that has something to with this. Could the weather temp have something to do with this? PLEASE HELP, ANYFEED BACK IS MORE THAN WELCOME. I'LL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE. THANKS

TPS and MAP communicate so you could check volts with key on but motor not running. Check it at closed throttle and wide open throttle.

Please check the volts and let us know the results.

Sadly....could be a few different things. You just bought the car :shrug2:

May have water in the intake and cylinders???

IACV, MAP and TPS are all pretty close buds. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can say but check the voltage on each sensor, and replace any that are out of spec. The fact that it starts with the MAP disconnected probably means the motor is fine, but the electrical is fubar.

That being said, if it no longer runs fine with the map sensor disconnected, you probably did suck in some water. Unfortunately the way you treat for that backyard style is to:

1) pull the head (change the head gasket while you're at it)
2) dry out the cylinder walls and the head
3) change the oil
4) pull the intake
5) dry out the intake and either replace or clean the intake filter (depending on what kind of intake you have)
6) hope for the best

This is a lot of work, not gonna lie. If you're not mechanically inclined, I would NOT recommend doing this yourself.

If you don't have a shop manual for your car, get one. In your case, you're gonna want the integra manual.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, ill test these connectors today. For the engine, I wanna say it's ok. Only reason being is because in those whatever few moments its idling fine it sounds like it used to. The "sputtering" almost sounds like its out gas. RPMS drop and raise, pretty much almost to a stop then jump back to a normal idle then eventually die. Ill report back to you as i work on it. THANKS for the help

sup guys. Read the voltage on the MAP and TPS. im getting 4.99V each. I disconnected the IACV, and it seems like it idled longer than it has been but still eventually bogs/sputters and dies. What really throws me off is that when its idling fine, and i give it some gas itll loose power/bog/sputter. And when i let off itll idle a pretty much normal then eventually bog/sputter on its own like its normally doing then die.

another thing that i noticed that day when it first started the sputtering on the drive home was that the temp guage hadnt moved. Like i said, the weather had changed that day drastically(outside temp drop) compared to how it was when i bought the car. So the week that the car was driving fine the guage was moving like it should. The day when it got cold it didnt move, Could this have anything to do with whats going on???

So I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and still nothing has changed. Now the car is throwing 4 codes. *Now keep in mind the part where i said the air filter was wet*. First CEL is code #1 primary o2 sensor. Second CEL is code #3 MAP sensor. Third CEL is code # 10 Intake Air Temp sensor. Last CEL is #14 Idle Air Control Valve. Im guessing that with the little bit of water that got sucked in all these sensors were affected. But do i ABSOLUTLEY have to replace all of these?? How can i tell if they really are bad

Man...it's a little FUBAR for sure. Might need to check for internal damage (water)

Back