Please help me decide

Which one?

• Koni Sport / Ground Control Coilover (Default Spring rate) Co

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey guys,

So I have it down to two choices....I can get them for the same price. They will be used mainly for aggressive street, and a few lapping days per summer.

About warranty stuff.......I know the Koni/GC setup has a lifetime warranty, but what of the Tein? What of corrosion as well? I live in Canada eh? Lots of salt.

Now, I already know who's going to say that Tein sucks..... :ph34r: But I've also heard great things of their coilover setups.

I also know that when it comes time for warranty stuff, or broken parts, most cases the Koni's are going to be easier to service, but once again, I'm in Toronto....both require shipping them out to diffrent countries.

Personally.....I'm at a stalemate. I like the 16-way dampening of the Tein, but the Koni sports are just killer shocks. I dunno. Any testimonials?

Thanks dudes.

I have koni yellows and GC custom spring rates for my EJ and they own j00! The car rotates when you want an not until you want it to.

I like my Teins, but they're the FLEX system and not the SS. I'd almost say it's a tossup between the SS and the GC/Koni, but I personally would still go with the SS and get stiffer rear springs.

Theaded body > sleeved coilover 99.9% of the time. And like Mike said, get a tighter spring, their rates are the suck.

I'm happy with my Ground Control/Tokico setup. I would stick with the GC/Koni setup over the Tein setup unless you are going all out and getting the expensive yet adjustable Tein setup.

The rates aren't that bad- but you Tein allows for 2kg/mm variation either softer or stiffer on the stock chock valving, so you might as well take advantage of it. I went 2kg/mm stiffer in the rear on my FLEX system, and I love it. I also liked the way a totally stock SS system without pillowballs felt on a 96-98 EX sedan.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 25 2005, 01:37 AM
The rates aren't that bad- but you Tein allows for 2kg/mm variation either softer or stiffer on the stock chock valving, so you might as well take advantage of it. I went 2kg/mm stiffer in the rear on my FLEX system, and I love it. I also liked the way a totally stock SS system without pillowballs felt on a 96-98 EX sedan.
[post=503286]Quoted post[/post]​

Only Mike Yu knows what his spring rates are in kg/mm...

you think too much, Mike.

Allow me to put this into terms for those of us without 34 years of college: Teins definitely kick ass. Buy stiffer springs for them, though.

Originally posted by civicious+May 25 2005, 02:36 AM-->
@May 25 2005, 01:37 AM

Allow me to put this into terms for those of us without 34 years of college: Teins definitely kick ass. Buy stiffer springs for them, though.
[post=503305]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey Will, How are your SS's holding up to corrosion and normal wear/tear?

Also, anyone know of the warranty information I asked about?

Thanks very much for replies so far guys.

Typically coilovers are developed to work with the dampening rates of the strut, and the rates of the spring. The Teins would be the best choice. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by adnoh+May 25 2005, 06:49 AM-->
Originally posted by civicious@May 25 2005, 02:36 AM
Calesta

[post=503324]Quoted post[/post]​

Other than a little bit of dirt/grime/etc., they're holding up great. No problems whatsoever. And I'm pretty sure the Tein's come with SOME sort of warranty...

Originally posted by civicious+May 25 2005, 11:57 AM-->
Originally posted by adnoh@May 25 2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by civicious@May 25 2005, 02:36 AM
Calesta
The rates aren't that bad- but you Tein allows for 2kg/mm variation either softer or stiffer on the stock chock valving, so you might as well take advantage of it.  I went 2kg/mm stiffer in the rear on my FLEX system, and I love it.  I also liked the way a totally stock SS system without pillowballs felt on a 96-98 EX sedan.

Other than a little bit of dirt/grime/etc., they're holding up great. No problems whatsoever. And I'm pretty sure the Tein's come with SOME sort of warranty...
[post=503396]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks dude,

I've e-mailed Tein about the warranty.....just for reference, I'll post up the reply when I get it.

even i would choose the ss over a gc set up.
GC's do nothing for me. i've never liked them. i hate their allen bolt locking crap... can't get at it 80% of the duration... and its ALWAYS in the back when its level :bash:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 25 2005, 03:09 PM
GC's do nothing for me. i've never liked them. i hate their allen bolt locking crap... can't get at it 80% of the duration... and its ALWAYS in the back when its level :bash:
[post=503458]Quoted post[/post]​

:blink: Christ...the one person who I thought would bash the Teins...didn't bash them..... So I guess on a whole, the SS's are they way to go. I hope they send me some good warranty info.

Originally posted by civicious+May 25 2005, 01:36 AM-->

:p

It's on the spec sheet.... and kg/mm is actually easier to compare with than lb/in, especially since Tein, Omnipower, Buddy Club, and all the non-American manufacturers measure in metric instead of imperial. Isn't it a bunch easier to say '9 up front, 6 out back" instead of "504 up front, 336 out back?" It's definitely easier for me. Metric >>>> Imperial.

Originally posted by adnoh@May 25 2005, 05:49 AM

I've had my FLEX set on for two years now, and it's still kicking strong. We don't get corrosion down here in Texas. :) Threaded bodies are always going to be better than sleeve coilovers when it comes to corrosion resistance, simply because there's no space between the shock body and sleeve to get crap trapped in.

Originally posted by EGProject@May 25 2005, 10:10 AM
Typically coilovers are developed to work with the dampening rates of the strut, and the rates of the spring. The Teins would be the best choice. :thumbsup:
[post=503381]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Originally posted by adnoh@May 25 2005, 11:25 AM
I've e-mailed Tein about the warranty.....just for reference, I'll post up the reply when I get it.
[post=503410]Quoted post[/post]​

I think they typically offer a 1 year warranty against defects and workmanship- after that you're on your own. It's a pretty good warranty for suspension parts- especially since they're wear items. Koni may advertise a lifetime warranty, but they're still not going to rebuild your shocks for free when you blow them- they'll charge you $100 a shock for rebuild, then more for a revalve.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 25 2005, 02:09 PM
[post=503458]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

adnoh
@May 25 2005, 03:22 PM
:blink: Christ...the one person who I thought would bash the Teins...didn't bash them..... So I guess on a whole, the SS's are they way to go. I hope they send me some good warranty info.
[post=503504]Quoted post[/post]​

B was given a choice between two companies- now "Do Teins suck?". If he was asked that, I'm sure he would have based on them. :) Teins are a good value, but they're not the best value- plus you have other brands out there like Silkroad :p, Buddy Club, HKS, Spooooooooooooooon etc...

If you want a serious piece of suspension, KW Variant 3's. Very nice, resist corrosion like a sumbitch, and the variant 2's are a decent price, and a great combo. Just throwing something else out there for ya.

Tein's response to my questions:

All our products come with a limited 1 year warranty, against manufacturer's defects. If you will be driving your car during the winter, it is suggested that you rinse off the dampers on a regular basis and treat the threads with some type of lubricant. I have several Canadian dealers, if you have access to the internet; please visit our website at www.tein.com. Once there, just click on the Dealer list. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
Sales

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171

Getting them tomorrow night. I'll post pics on Monday, away for the weekend. Thanks for all the help :)

I think I am going to email Tein today about there recomendation on winter driving. I have had my teins for 2 years now (I bought them used) and I live in michigan where they put down an inch of salt for every inch of snow. Before I put mine on, I read alot about them seizing up. I then put antiseize all over the threaded body. I still have zero problems with them (haven't touch them this year though. We will see in a week or so) Last year before my first track event, I completely took apart my suspension, cleaned them up completely, then reinstalled. Everything was perfect. Antiseize is the best way to avoid rust.

Good tip dude, I'll definately keep that in mind while installing. Definately tell that to Tein...I don't think using white lithium grease or something of that nature is going to hold up to the amounts of salt the trucks in Toronto put down in the winter :p

Back