PMTR Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

Poor Mans Type R + Boost (B16 head, gsr shortblock w/LS crank)
**Bold & Italic items are my concerns**

Block: B18C1 Block, LS Crank, Wiseco Pistons, Eagle H-beam Rods, ITR oil/water pump, all OEM honda gaskets/bearings/belts, ARP head studs, ARP rod bolts...
Head: B16A head (gen1), GSR Cams, Skunk2 IM, Hondata IM gasket...

-Since I plan on running a Full-Race Kit, I will be using their manifold. What trim (B16Head, B18C1block) for the turbo. I want 9psi daily.

-Should I use aftermarket or OE pistons. If I went with OE, should I just use the GSR Pistons/Rods? If I use aftermarket, what CR should I have? Lower than 9:1 or 9.5:1.

-Im thinking of using an LS crank (for a tad more torque and it will be balanced/blue printed) in the C1 block, I would then need what size rods? Since hte LS has longer stroke than the GSR.

I know, I know this is a VTEC build, but help me out.

No, you cannot use B16 headstuds.

Get the manifold/downpipe for a GSR.

If you're planning on boosting and keeping OEM pistons, I'd go with the GSR's. As far as rods, if you keep stock pistons you have to keep stock rods. GSR rods with ARP bolts should be fine. Really, in my opinion, you don't even need ARP bolts, because you aren't going to be revving any higher than the GSR redline, and aren't going to be boosting anything incredible, and GSR rod bolts should be just fine.

I woulnd't go any lower than that. Shit, if I were doing it myself, I'd go 10:1. Boost = more power. Higher compression = more power. Boost + higher compression = more power. Period. Sure, people will say 'but it's going to detonate if you have higher compression with boost' or some shit like that. My response to them: TUNE THAT SHIT!

:D

Originally posted by civicious@Aug 24 2005, 12:40 PM

If you're planning on boosting and keeping OEM pistons, I'd go with the GSR's. As far as rods, if you keep stock pistons you have to keep stock rods. GSR rods with ARP bolts should be fine. Really, in my opinion, you don't even need ARP bolts, because you aren't going to be revving any higher than the GSR redline, and aren't going to be boosting anything incredible, and GSR rod bolts should be just fine.

I woulnd't go any lower than that. Shit, if I were doing it myself, I'd go 10:1. Boost = more power. Higher compression = more power. Boost + higher compression = more power. Period. Sure, people will say 'but it's going to detonate if you have higher compression with boost' or some shit like that. My response to them: TUNE THAT SHIT!

[post=544545]Quoted post[/post]​

and will likes blowing shit up! - lower comp is always easier to tune-and more safe
higher comp = more power - less room for error -
of course we all know this were all honda swapers ! :ph34r:

Originally posted by civicious@Aug 24 2005, 11:40 AM

[post=544545]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, so GSR headstuds.

What about headgasket? GSR or B16? As far as gaskets, I know I need the GSR bottom end kit and the B16 top end kit. The headgasket is my only worry.

I do plan on using GSR pistons/rods. I know if I kept OEM pistons the only option for rods, is OEM as well. This I knew. I will more then likely use ARP bolts, just for added insurance. Im going to stay away from Higer CR + boost. Especially 9psi. And yes, I know its all in the tune, which MikeBergy and I will use TurboEdit.

i would go with a sc61 turbo. a local kid was making 320 on 10 psi stock gsr. but you may want a better powerband. post what kinda power you want to make.

Originally posted by formby+Aug 24 2005, 04:29 PM-->
i think if you use an ls crank in a gsr block youll need special pistons
[post=544742]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, aftermarket. But the length of the rods.

erebunicrx
@Aug 24 2005, 04:33 PM
i would go with a sc61 turbo. a local kid was making 320 on 10 psi stock gsr. but you may want a better powerband. post what kinda power you want to make.
[post=544744]Quoted post[/post]​

I want maybe 300 daily driveable, dependable.

ok, if you only want 300 first thing i would not do is buy a full race kit. there too expensive to only make 300hp. reliableity mostly has to do with tunning. so save the money from the kit, peiece a kit together and spend the rest on a good tunner local to you.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Aug 24 2005, 08:31 PM
300 @ 9psi i want to be able to do 400.
[post=544856]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe I'm dumb, but I dont really understand this post... so far I've been really interested in learning what he has to learn, so please explain this.

Originally posted by wanderinman+Aug 24 2005, 10:54 PM-->
brian11to1
@Aug 24 2005, 08:31 PM
300 @ 9psi i want to be able to do 400.
[post=544856]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe I'm dumb, but I dont really understand this post... so far I've been really interested in learning what he has to learn, so please explain this.
[post=544916]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you quote the wrong person?

So back on topic.

If I used an LS crank, what size would the rods need to be?

I want to go with 9:1 CR, I am using Wiseco Pistons from IB Spec.

What headgasket do I use. The B16 or the GSR, would it matter?

if you use an ls crank, you will need ls sized rods (stock ls, or aftermarket ls). ls spec. pistons will also work fine, no need for a custom piston.

i'm nearly positive that the gsr and b16 headgaskets are the same. although, if you were planning on goin' oem honda from the dealer, then i would buy one for a b16 seeing that honda parts are generally less expensive than their acura counterparts.

if you're shooting for 400 and no more, the full-race stage 1 kit with the t3/t04e turbo will support that fine. that turbo will also put your right abound your power goal of 300whp @ ~9psi. call todd up at full-race to discuss what trim and a/r will suit your application the best.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Aug 25 2005, 08:34 AM
if you use an ls crank, you will need ls sized rods (stock ls, or aftermarket ls). ls spec. pistons will also work fine, no need for a custom piston.

i'm nearly positive that the gsr and b16 headgaskets are the same. although, if you were planning on goin' oem honda from the dealer, then i would buy one for a b16 seeing that honda parts are generally less expensive than their acura counterparts.

if you're shooting for 400 and no more, the full-race stage 1 kit with the t3/t04e turbo will support that fine. that turbo will also put your right abound your power goal of 300whp @ ~9psi. call todd up at full-race to discuss what trim and a/r will suit your application the best.
[post=545010]Quoted post[/post]​

ahhh, wow. finally the answers i was needing.

so, i can use LS rods (oe or aftermarket), and basically a piston designed for an LS (oe or aftermarket)? Very nice, very nice. Ill get the B16 gasket kit, it should save a little scratch, eh?

If you are getting your pistons from Import Builders, just tell Jeff what your needs are and he will hook you right up with the right rod and piston combo.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Aug 25 2005, 12:51 PM
If you are getting your pistons from Import Builders, just tell Jeff what your needs are and he will hook you right up with the right rod and piston combo.
[post=545157]Quoted post[/post]​

When he replies to my email, I am going to more then likely go through with getting IB spec 9:1 wiseco super dupers and IB spec eagle h beam rods. So now, the thread is basically for progress notation.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Aug 25 2005, 12:16 PM
so, i can use LS rods (oe or aftermarket), and basically a piston designed for an LS (oe or aftermarket)? Very nice, very nice. Ill get the B16 gasket kit, it should save a little scratch, eh?
[post=545130]Quoted post[/post]​

yes on the rods and pistons. there are a couple people on h-t and/or ebay that sell a complete aftermarket gasket kit for like $140, bottom and top end. if you wanna go oem honda, then heeltoeauto.com sell's complete gasket kits and discounted prices. might wanna check them against local honda dealer or wherever you source honda parts to see where you can get a better deal.

Back