poll shows americans hate the draft...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
WASHINGTON - Americans overwhelmingly oppose reinstatement of the military draft and most say they wouldn't encourage their children to enlist in the service either, an AP-Ipsos poll found.

That resistance underscores the dilemma facing the Bush administration as it struggles to recruit a volunteer military in war time.

The Army is falling behind its recruiting goals at a time the country is fighting extended wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Army has repeatedly missed its monthly recruiting goals this year, falling short by 42 percent in April.

And all four branches of military service are having trouble attracting recruits to their reserve forces.

Despite the recruiting problems, seven in 10 Americans say they oppose reinstatement of the draft, and almost half of those polled strongly oppose that step, the AP-Ipsos poll found. About a quarter of the people in this country say they favor reinstating the draft.

i wonder if bush still thinks 2 wars at once was a good idea..
fucking moron...

new book for youngster... where's osama?

if the draft gets reinstated i think we need new leadership and we need to get rid of those 1/4 people who think its a good idea...

I seriously doubt the draft will ever be re instated. No matter what political party you belong to I think every one agrees the draft is a bad idea. Youd have guy shooting the selves in the leg to get sent back.

i highly doubt the draft will be re-instated. doesnt that have to pass congress?

That would be political suicide for the people who vote in favor of it.

this isn't 1965 anymore.

straight up. if theres a draft, some crazy fuck is going to shoot up the entire recruiters office.
it would cause more anarchy.

if bush wasn't such a fucking moron and leading the country to shit, perhaps you could get some people to actually WANT to join the service and fight for a cause that they beleived in.

fact is, the war is unpopular- and so is bush. last poll i saw, both were in the mid 30% approval rating.

so that means, even the red states are starting to not agree...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 24 2005, 01:15 PM
if bush wasn't such a fucking moron and leading the country to shit, perhaps you could get some people to actually WANT to join the service and fight for a cause that they beleived in.

Wrong. I think most of us here are in the under 30 category. We were all born in the technological age. We were born into a thriving country. Basically all born with silverspoons in our mouths compared to our anchestors. We have so many more modern conviences and other things that we rely on than our forefathers.

Being born into that mindstate, very very few people what to leave the beauty that we call America to go to a foreign country to get shot at.

Its not Bush that is causing people to be hesistate to join the military, its the mindstate that this generation was born with.

Before the war even started, enlistment numbers were low. Thus the national campaign and the change of the Army national campaign from "Be All You Can Be" to "An Army of One" which attempted to target this generation. The primary reason for enlistment for the past 50 years has been for finnacial gain. Free schooling, free housing, free training, a free future. It hasn't been "what can you do for your country," but "what can your country do for you."

Bush hasn't helped enlistment numbers, but they were low to begin with and will continue to be low as long as people can sit on their couches, watch TV, complain about everything else going on in the country and the world around them, and not be forced to do anything about it.

fact is, the war is unpopular- and so is bush. last poll i saw, both were in the mid 30% approval rating.

Thats right around where a usual approval rating is.

and that's sad. if he won 50% or more of the popular vote, he should be 50% or more approval.

he's a fuck up.

i can't wait for 2008.

recruitment after 9/11 = high

recruitment after iraq fiasco = down

recruitment after the public saw they were lied to about WMD and iraq's threat capacity = VERY DOWN...

bush fucked up... the system worked fine until he decided to have his revenge against saddam and hand all his big corp buddies millions in no bid contracts...

way to go bush...

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jun 24 2005, 10:25 AM

fact is, the war is unpopular- and so is bush.  last poll i saw, both were in the mid 30% approval rating.

Thats right around where a usual approval rating is.
[post=516103]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow. Mid 30% after an election is horrendous.

I'm for the draft...

It will get the damn kids off their asses, and away from TV...and they will have a chance for a real education...IE GI bill...and they might shed a few pounds and get into shape. They get shot..so what..they become famouse and their parents get $80,000...they protect the US...they get mentioned on the news and will have cheaper car insurance...

I Loved the service...I would have been a lifer, but I had a racist Black first sargent that hated young white kids that has some rank and integrity...he busted me for bouncing two $15 checks...ohh yeah...$30 bucks and I was blackballed for financial irresponcibility...

I tried to go into another service...they wouldn't let me...if they did...I'm too old to go anyways...

So I build the machines that the GI's use..and I'm happy doing it...I'll make them safe so they can get shot at and have a chance to survive and get back home. Go Blackhawks...

the new mindset of todays youth is video games, Jerry Springer, and Oreo's...

Lame if you ask me...I'm proud to see kids do what I did back in 1990...go and join up for them selves...if they don't...then DRAFT the fuckers...one huge sweep with enough soldeirs and they can clear a town in day...but with the amount we have over there now...good luck clearing a few blocks a day...the sooner this shit is over..the better...do a massive sweep, kill all the rag heads that has a gun, or shifty eyes, and fuck thinking about putting them in a damn POW camp..just shoot them on sight...and clear the fucking town...and then finish that country...lets get it over with....

prolly not posted yet...but Ji is on his way...very soon...he joined the AF...and he has a chance to do something good with his life...

Eh, I disagree with a mandatory draft. The military changes people, and not always for the better. Part of living in America is the fact that we are free to be irresponsible; that isnt to say though that we dont have to suffer the consequences of our actions. Indoctrination is a part of training when you get into the military, and i dont feel that the military should be able to exert that much influence on all americans would be drafted.
Beyond that, having a standing army the size that would be entailed by compulsory consctiption is totally unnecessary in the age of modern warfare. If you are looking for a way to encourage a certain behavior among children get involved in the process. Get your degree and credentials and become a teacher; lobby the local school boards for change, or anything. Its silly to expect a government organization to pick up the slack for (your percieved) the failings of society.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 24 2005, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I'm sure that Bush's stupidity and this war are having no effect, what-so-ever, on the numbers. It's always somebody else's fault, ain't it?

"Bush hasn't helped enlistment numbers"

I didn't acknowledge the fact that Bush isn't helping numbers, I brought to the table that this was a problem before Bush was in office. If the problem already existed before Bush was there then how can it be Bush's fault entirely? Left up to you, I'm sure its Bush's fault entirely.

Stop talking.

blame Clinton and his huge military cutbacks....

why keep a huge military when it isnt needed? It seems silly to maintain the cold war levels of the military when in fact the cold war is over.
That aside, as Al Franken points out in his books Liars, Bush went to war with Clinton's "stripped down" military and created a resounding victory over the terrorists in Afganistan. I mean as far as that goes, if we declare war on the entire world and find that our military is unsufficient to meet this goal, can we blame Bush's lack of defense spending?

Originally posted by Airjockie@Jun 24 2005, 07:46 PM
DRAFT the fuckers...one huge sweep with enough soldeirs and they can clear a town in day...but with the amount we have over there now...good luck clearing a few blocks a day...the sooner this shit is over..the better...do a massive sweep, kill all the rag heads that has a gun, or shifty eyes, and fuck thinking about putting them in a damn POW camp..just shoot them on sight...and clear the fucking town...and then finish that country...lets get it over with....
[post=516215]Quoted post[/post]​

they could clear a town in a day with a few tomahawks too without even stepping foot in the town. you cant pick out the insurgents in a crowd. little kids are lobbing grenades at troops. its an unpopular war because its an impossible war. we will never get all of them because their sons are just going to become insurgents to get revenge for their dads.

and bush did mess up enlistment numbers. he lost me. i was going to be a marine hardcore until that dumbass starts bullshit wars against countries that arent worth the trouble. i would have gone to vietnam, korea or normandy even, but i have yet to see a definite point to any bush war. seems fishy as fuck too that the vice pres. is formaly of the company recieved the millions of dollars in contracts to rebuild these blown to shit places.

Here's what I can bring to this ever stimulating Bush Bash.

First of all the draft will not be reinstated. There are a lot of military personal to provide the services that has been instated. The fact that recruitment is low is more mass media trying to make a story out of whatever they can.

For those that agree with the comment of "if the draft gets reinstated i think we need new leadership and we need to get rid of those 1/4 people who think its a good idea." you are entitled to your opinion. However, Joseph Stalin had a similar idea. It was communism and the elimination of any group that did not agree with him. Turns out this idea didn't work all that well.

As for the war approval rating, their has never EVER been a war that the US was a part in that has had higher then the mid thirties approval rating. Polls prove and show nothing.

If Bush is such a fuck up, moron or any other fear produced adjective that you can produce, why was he A.) Elected twice, B.) brought the economy out of the biggest slump in 15 years and C.) managed to do both of these things while under intense ridicule and stonewalling and STILL was able to fight a war after ME, YOU, WE were ATTACKED!?!?! I would like to have seen the contenders done better.

Sending one hundred tomahawks in will not solve the problem. Clinton sent 2 as a response to the attack on the USS Cole (if I remember correctly) but that didn't stop the terrorist from making more attempts. You would be killing those that are innocent, those that want to make a better life for themselves with the insurgents. This would make it worse. Bush originally stated that this was going to be a long and hard war because we’re trying to change the way someone thinks or eliminating their ability to cause harm on to other innocent civilians again.

What's going to happen in 2008? Why do you have to wait? Why don't you do something about it now? If you don't like the way things are going, call your state reps, call your congress people, phone your president. There is a law that says that if you can get enough signatures on a petition that you can have a vote to impeach/remove the president or any other elected official. So get at it if you don't like the way it's being done. No need to wait.

Where does the notion that bush wanted revenge against Saddam come from? I thought that we went to Iraq to steal all their oil!?!?!? At the time, the best information we had was that Saddam was harboring and training terrorist that were plotting to attack the US. Why wouldn't we want to eliminate that threat after 3000 people die from two jumbo jet being flown into the World Trade Center?

I would like for anyone to name me a company or group of companies that could manage, contract, build, have the supplies, capital or man power to rebuild a COUNTRY other then Halliburton?? Fact is that they were the only company at the time that could make the transition the smoothest and have the means in which to do it then any other bidding contractor. Oh and by the way, bids of a new house being built take weeks to months to create. What would it take for a country?

As for your non enlistment into the marines, I have to say that your view that "bush is picking fights with other counties not wroth fighting over" was not the only or biggest reason that you did not sign up. I’m sure that there were other things and situations taking a larger role here. I'm not picking a fight. I'm not calling you out. If you were to go I would have shook your hand and giving you the clothes off my back. If you didn't go I would have still shook your hand for considering. Whatever the reason(s), it’s probably best that you did not go because I, you, we don't need marines with uncertainness when peoples lives are at the end of an M-16.

It's not the idea that it is "someone else’s fault" but whatever does not go perfectly, whether it was the 9/11 attack, the hurricane in Florida, or the girl getting kidnapped and killed it Aruba, it's all associated as being Bush's fault even if he has no control or responsibility it the situation.

It's really easy for all of us to be armchair quarterbacks. Bitch, moan and complain about this, that and everything else under the sun. Hindsight is 20/20. That's part of what makes America great. Freedom of speech and to think how we want, but I can not imagine what the contenders would have done differently to have put us in any better of a situation.

My hours worth of typing and two cents.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Jun 24 2005, 06:46 PM
It will get the damn kids off their asses, and away from TV...and they will have a chance for a real education...IE GI bill...and they might shed a few pounds and get into shape. They get shot..so what..they become famouse and their parents get $80,000...they protect the US...they get mentioned on the news and will have cheaper car insurance...

...do a massive sweep, kill all the rag heads that has a gun, or shifty eyes, and fuck thinking about putting them in a damn POW camp..just shoot them on sight...and clear the fucking town...and then finish that country...lets get it over with....

prolly not posted yet...but Ji is on his way...very soon...he joined the AF...and he has a chance to do something good with his life...
[post=516215]Quoted post[/post]​

You have a terrible outlook on things...very immoral and unethical. Im sorry to read what you have to type, but we both know that nothing you or I say to each other will have any effect on what we think. Im gonna leave it at that

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Jun 25 2005, 12:30 AM
and bush did mess up enlistment numbers. he lost me. i was going to be a marine hardcore until that dumbass starts bullshit wars against countries that arent worth the trouble. i would have gone to vietnam, korea or normandy even, but i have yet to see a definite point to any bush war.
[post=516300]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jun 24 2005, 01:25 PM

We were all born in the technological age. We were born into a thriving country. Basically all born with silverspoons in our mouths compared to our anchestors. We have so many more modern conviences and other things that we rely on than our forefathers.

Modern conveniences? Who gives a fuck? Its ALL about relevance. We have cell phones, and all these "convenient" gadgets, so we use them.

But guess what. There was a time when there was a few homosapiens that didnt have or know anything were walking the earth, and look how our species turned out. We dont rely on this shit, we have it. Its not like we wouldnt survive without it. Relevance is the common denominator, and that applies to so many things in life.

Originally posted by SolReaver@Jun 25 2005, 12:50 AM
You have a terrible outlook on things...very immoral and unethical. Im sorry to read what you have to type, but we both know that nothing you or I say to each other will have any effect on what we think. Im gonna leave it at that
[post=516304]Quoted post[/post]​

yup...I do. Been there done that, I have freinds that are there getting shot up for fucken BS, and then I read that a few people just don't waNT A DAMN DRAFT TO HAPPEN...CUZ THEY ARE PUSSIES!!! Some countries require you to serve 2-4 years in the military once you become of age...if your a male.

The world can't be changed with morons behind computers, BS'ing on the intardweb all day... Unless you work at the Pentagon... ;)

besides...people here are free for a reason....some one had to suffer a long time ago to make you free...so what about our kids that haven't even been conceived..??? I want a kid so bad, but I fear what kind of a world he's going to live in... I'm proud that I served, and I'd do it again. For the futures sake.

As for military cutbacks...it left us wide open for anything...sure we have missles and planes that can level a country without even stepping foot on it...

remember...we only made their prisoners get naked for some pics....and they cut off our prisoners heads.... :angry:

while their prisoners get 3 full meals a day, showers, and legal aid...our gets hacked up and left to rott on the side of the road....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back