Possibly Taking on a Project Teggy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xanatos

Village Idiot
VIP
Hello! I'd like to introduce myself first. My name is Logan, I'm from the west coast of FL. I'm 18, and a 5th generation bodyman on my dads side and 3rd gen on my moms. My family basically eats sleeps and breaths cars, and as an 18 year old kid graduated a year early from high school, I decided it was time to take on my first project car. I was looking at 5th gen Celicas but my friend made a convincing point in more has been done with Honda products and therefore there is more information. The Teggy is like a Celica but better, imho, with more swap potential.

I have a project lined up for 2k cash (low starting point for my budget). 96 LS Teggy with a 2000 conversion, Type R yellow paintjob, and a B18B in pieces (est 90k miles) with oodles of parts. The previous owner done goofed and wrecked his daily, on top of having a baby on the way. The shell is GORGEOUS and I love the wheels.

My Main Concerns:
B18B is non turbo LS motor... From my research I've found its a lot easier to mod (yay) but it doesn't have VTEC (low calorie rice). The previous owner bought a whole bunch of stuff to get the motor ready for a turbo. I'll catalog if/when I buy it. Is this the motor worth building for my "endgame"? (250-300whp) it has the standard 5 speed tranny that was married to the B18B

IF the B18B is not a desirable motor to do my building on, I love the interracial look of the J swapped Teggy, but I'm not sure if that one would get incredibly expensive very fast.

Let me know what you guys think. Any input helps. Build threads also appreciated.

You would need something like turbo to make that motor hit your goal. It's 140hp stock. But you could use the stock block and get to 250whp on 9lbs of boost or so.

Or nitrous for a jolt every once In a while.

Or put a K24A2 in it and rip it up with 230whp stock all motor $$$$

Thanks for the input CAFROG. 300 is a hot number for the appeal but 250 is what I consider "reasonable" so I'll probably just build up the current motor. If I went with a totally different driveline it would have to be the J swap which I've read lends itself to 300whp all motor

What do you mean by build up the current motor?

J-series is not my preference. Mostly because it doesn't have very much aftermarket support. Plus a big hole in the hood to make it fit.

You don't really need VTEC if you're going to boost it and if he's already got a lot of parts for the turbo conversion then just go that way and save yourself some money. If you're really looking to go VTEC you can always just buy a VTEC head and do an LS/VTEC. I'd keep that engine and just go turbo if I were you since you said your budget was $2k.

You don't really need VTEC if you're going to boost it and if he's already got a lot of parts for the turbo conversion then just go that way and save yourself some money. If you're really looking to go VTEC you can always just buy a VTEC head and do an LS/VTEC. I'd keep that engine and just go turbo if I were you since you said your budget was $2k.
Budget is closer to 5k, paying 2k for the shell so 3k approx to play with so you have an idea of my budget.

I'd still say boost it. Get some sleeves in the block of it doesn't already, put some forged pistons and rods in it, then throw some cams in the head with better springs.

Yeah I think boost is the route I'm going to go. Some of the misc parts include Type R pistons.... would those work for the aforementioned forged pistons?

Type R pistons would be a choice for a LS-VTEC conversion. But wouldnt be necessary (or my prefer choice) for turbo.

You could turbo for around the $3k mark. But you couldn't sleeve and build the motor too.....unless there are more parts that come with the car.

I should be picking it up today So I'll make a build thread so you guys can see what I'm starting out with.
Thanks all of you for the help so far.

Type R pistons would be a choice for a LS-VTEC conversion. But wouldnt be necessary (or my prefer choice) for turbo.

You could turbo for around the $3k mark. But you couldn't sleeve and build the motor too.....unless there are more parts that come with the car.

I should've been a little clearer. I meant build the engine ie. Sleeves, forged internals and some head work then sell the extra parts the car came with that are not needed like the pistons, rods, cams ect. for some cash towards the turbo and tuning. You can easily get the C/R close to stock with forged internals so you can run the stock ecu without tuning for break in before you get the turbo setup. A 9.1:1 still leaves plenty of room for boost without losing low end power.

I'd sell the CTR pistons and build the bottom end with forged pistons, rods, ARP rod bolts. Get some ARP head studs and a decent turbo setup. I made 320whp on a quick tune (I did have turbo cams but you should easily be able to get in to the 250-300whp range on stock cams).

I would start with a turbo kit first. You'll quickly realize that a 300 hp Integra isn't that great. You won't be any faster on a track with 300hp than you would with 250hp. 300hp hondas aren't the most streetable cars in the world. The number looks good on paper, but 200-250hp is the sweet spot for fun and driveability.

If I was in your situation I would do the following:

1) put the engine together with all stock, OEM parts
2) sell EVERYTHING that you didn't need to make it run well
3) upgrade wheels, brakes, tires, suspension
4) put on a turbo kit and get a GREAT tune. The tune alone will cost around $500
5) get full coverage insurance, don't drive like an asshat, enjoy the car. :D

I would start with a turbo kit first. You'll quickly realize that a 300 hp Integra isn't that great. You won't be any faster on a track with 300hp than you would with 250hp. 300hp hondas aren't the most streetable cars in the world. The number looks good on paper, but 200-250hp is the sweet spot for fun and driveability.

I agree to an extent. My car at 320whp was an absolute blast. It really only spun the tires in 1st, 2nd gear if you really tried to spin them. I did put an MFactory LSD in the car though. Open diff is a different story.

Nick makes a good point about the tune. Spend the money and have it done right.

I agree to an extent. My car at 320whp was an absolute blast. It really only spun the tires in 1st, 2nd gear if you really tried to spin them. I did put an MFactory LSD in the car though. Open diff is a different story.

Nick makes a good point about the tune. Spend the money and have it done right.
A new tranny might get a little pricey for my budget, so would you recommend sticking to that 250 threshold so as to not have any traction related issues?

Back