Probably The Funniest, Most Effective Way To Deal With People Who Ignore Science Fact

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

May I take this moment to say: denying climate change, and denying that it has been caused directly by human actions are two totally different things.

Denying climate change, and denying that it has been caused directly by human actions are two totally different things.

Ugh.

How about a new name for Global Climate Change, as proposed by the Celerity Think Tank:

"Fucking Nature".

We like that.

inside info

I work for NASA on a few missions (my prime mission is Terra, but i work very closely with Aqua/Aura/TRMM/Landsat missions too) that are the Earth Observing System (EOS). these satellites main job is to track climate change on a global scale. nearly everything is measured, atmospheric chemistry, land color/temperature, vegetation growth, sea color/temp, ice changes, wild fires, volcanoes, etc. anything you can think of. Every. Second. Of. The. Day. they take data 24/7/365.25. Due to our orbit and varying instrument swath widths, we get a complete picture of the earth about every 2 days.

the Terra mission alone, which has been on orbit for about 14 years and counting has collected an amount of data which is now being counted in the PETABYTES (1 PB = 1000 TB)

the verdict? climate change is definitely happening. the cause is not as cut and dry.

the plan, funny, would never happen due to libel and slander

Last edited:
Wonder what company helped yall rebuild that infrastructure 2-3 years ago *whistles*

huh?

which "yall"?
which company?
which infrastructure?

each of those questions has multiple possible answers. elaborate please because i have no idea what you're even referring to lol.

I was referring to the new NASA Nova/Openstack internal cloud deployment yall did 2-3 years ago, specifically for data collection and processing. The need to add more compute nodes to the internal deployment NASA uses is the reason Cloud tech has been exploding over the last few years, since NASA and Rackspace decided to open source the deployment code.

thats not my dept. lol.

right NOW, i'm monitoring and helping maintain the Thermal and Electrical subsystems of the Terra satellite itself. but i used to be a certified controller for all three Aqua/Aura/Terra. as in i was the one communicating with the satellite and downloading the raw data.

i dont/didnt deal with any of the data processing. i just made sure it's all accounted for, replayed it from the satellite or ground stations when necessary, and sent it on its merry way to EDOS for level zero processing and then onto the DAAC for archiving and distribution. then the scientists do what they will with the data from there. sounds like whatever youre talking about was probably something at the DAAC, which i had no part in.

we constantly have infrastructure updates on our ground systems though. the EOS Modernization Plan. moved a lot of stuff to virtual machines and shared computing with a central server and thin clients, rather than dedicated server/workstations/chubby clients for everything. saves a lot of electricity id imagine.

a few years ago, everything was running Solaris and windows2000.
now its all Linux (server) and Server2003 (virtual, command and analysis software - Raytheon), and win7 for the general use systems like my work laptop.

For The Record I Do Not Necessarily Agree With The Title, The Video Did However Give Me Quite A Chuckle

So does anyone NOT think human's have had an influence on climate change in some regard?

Sure, humans have made an impact.
Just as much as the cows taking a dump and releasing methane does.

There are things we can do to be better, but it's not 100% the answer.

See, 14 years of data on a scale of a couple billion years is a fart over the course of a lifetime. it's not memorable at all. sometimes we're gassey, sometimes we're not.

Missing that past data of things like the ice age 65 million years ago and the mini ice age in 1777, making any solid conclusions is hard. we haven't existed for 1 full 'cycle of earth' in an era of proper instrumentation in which to derive any real conclusions.

My only admission of human guilt are the paved surfaces. Think of how many paved surfaces we have now.

Ugh. Indians do that. They shit on the side of the road and let the cars take it away.

Sure, humans have made an impact.
Just as much as the cows taking a dump and releasing methane does.

There are things we can do to be better, but it's not 100% the answer.

See, 14 years of data on a scale of a couple billion years is a fart over the course of a lifetime. it's not memorable at all. sometimes we're gassey, sometimes we're not.

Missing that past data of things like the ice age 65 million years ago and the mini ice age in 1777, making any solid conclusions is hard. we haven't existed for 1 full 'cycle of earth' in an era of proper instrumentation in which to derive any real conclusions.
TECHNICALLY, we haven't even exited the last ice age. Talk to any real scientist, and the answer is uncertain.
“You take all the scientists who author these papers, get them to pool their money and invest in companies that would benefit from global warming. And take all the people who are in denial of global warming, take all their money and invest in companies that would presume there is no global warming. And I would predict… you will all go broke in the next 50 years.”
My only admission of human guilt are the paved surfaces. Think of how many paved surfaces we have now.
aluminum-foil-00.jpg

Back