Problems after oil change

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Liquidblaze

I have a knocking sound when my car is cold. I switch to syntec blend oil this time. I know I have enough oil. I used the right viscosity, 5w-30. Does anyone think I should switch back and do another oil change? It only happens if my car has been sitting for a while and then the sound goes away after I drive down the street. Its as if the oil isnt being circulated as soon as I start the car. Could this synthetic blend be my problem?

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
Sounds like you need to do a valve adjustment. It doesn't have anything to do with the oil change. If your rockers are a little out then the sound will go away when the motor starts to warm up. I love the avatar.

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
The specs should be on your hood. I think it is .004" for the intake and .007" for the exhaust, but you should not take my word for it.

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
Naw man, synthetic oil rocks. Takes much more to boil it. Lasts longer. Lubricates better. Etc.

Liquidblaze

well which one is it?
scratchhead.gif

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
The clicking is your valves. As for which oil to use that has been a "discussion" for as long as I have been a member of this board.

knowledge

i would use regular oil on a N/A motor. And synthetic on a turbo motor! Just because the turbo gets soooo damn hot and synthetic has a higher boiling point.

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
Why not use synthetic all around? I actually notice a difference with synthetic oil over dino, and no turbo here.

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 22 2002, 09:41 AM
Why not use synthetic all around? I actually notice a difference with synthetic oil over dino, and no turbo here.

:werd:

Dino oil won't last 100 miles in my engine... I torched a quart of dino oil that someone recommended I try in only 100 miles- let's just say that the car went straight up on stands as soon as I got back into town, and I dumped that dino crap straight out.

Liquidblaze

Well I feel pretty stupid. Everyone can laugh at me. Well, today I adjusted my valves but that didn't fix the problem. I found the problem though. Saturday I took off my header and put it back on, but I did not put it back on tight because I was getting a new header at the end of the week and i left everything loose for when I take it off again. It was a stupid exhaust leak. It goes away when the car heats up because the metal begins to expand and creates a better seal. I feel like a real dumbass. Sorry for all the heartache. Thanks for everyone help.

Chris