Project Rolie Polie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

after reading around, looks like i'll be doing a 944 brake swap on it.. :D

depends.. the N/A 944 has single pot calipers.. the turbo 944 have 4 pot brembos ..

Wait what? Im lost now, lol. I was talking about lowering the rear of the car with a lifted/narrowed transaxle.

Thats what people do when they slam the hell out of them, narrower front beam and a motor lift to keep the oil pan from dragging and to correct camber.

I know this lol. Thats what I was suggesting to him. Well, the lifted transaxle anyways. Im sure he already knows all about narrowed beams.

i know nothing about VW's .. haha... anyways.. looked up the 944 4 pot Brembo price, $500-$800.. so yea.. most likely go with the N/A version..

What about gettin a disc setup off a newer bug? I dunno, just throwin ideas around.

The "beam" is the front suspension setup. Narrowing them lowers the car, and widening them raises the car. You can buy em, or get a kit to narrow your own. As you research suspension, itll be one of the first things youll find.

yea.. i'm sure i'll see something about it.. luckily i have a Haynes manual for it (was in the car) .... so that'll be really helpful seeing i've never really worked on one before

but uh.. no real updates on the bug yet.. still havent taken out the motor, i'm gonna have to get it in the garage to do it...

Last edited:
well lowering is real easy on those just turn the bar a few times. and the motor comes out super easy i think its just 4 bolts

good luck with the build.

probably a lot less likely to get stolen too...

and the motor comes out super easy i think its just 4 bolts

yep... takes about 15 minutes lol

thats pretty much the first step for anything you want to do on those cars

want to replace the alternator (or generator on older models)? pull the engine
want to put headers on? pull the engine
want to put a new radio in? pull the engine
want to change the brakes? pull the engine

:lmao:

Nice. I was going to try and find a Karmann Ghia shell and then drop an EJ22 into it for Katie. It's an interesting chassis to work on.

The "beam" is the front suspension setup. Narrowing them lowers the car, and widening them raises the car. You can buy em, or get a kit to narrow your own. As you research suspension, itll be one of the first things youll find.

The width of it does not raise or lower it. A narrower front beam is good for lowered vehicles so you can run a wider than stock wheel and still clear the fenders. Wider for lifted for the same reason so you can run a taller tire and for more stability.

yea.. i'm sure i'll see something about it.. luckily i have a Haynes manual for it (was in the car) .... so that'll be really helpful seeing i've never really worked on one before

but uh.. no real updates on the bug yet.. still havent taken out the motor, i'm gonna have to get it in the garage to do it...

Do you have the king pin or ball joint front end? They make drop spindles for the ball joint. Go with an aftermarket disc setup, then you can do a wide 5 conversion too.
well lowering is real easy on those just turn the bar a few times.

Requires some cutting and welding but yeah that is the basic idea.

well, i dont have anything yet.. the shell i have i am selling.. looking to get a 66 or under

eh.. i dont want a 71 w/ 63 parts.. i want a 63, but i'll take a 66 or under.. resale value my friend.. if and when i sell it, it will be worth more

eh.. i dont want a 71 w/ 63 parts.. i want a 63, but i'll take a 66 or under.. resale value my friend.. if and when i sell it, it will be worth more

Try to find a split-window or oval-window, those are the ones that bring the bucks, so if you can find one for cheap snatch it up.

yea.. but i'm sure i wont find one for the price i'm looking to spend on a shell.. if i did, of course i'd get it

Back