Project Sonoma

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I finally got my truck. Been looking and searching for years. Test drove this and bought it from a guy in Ohio.

It's going to need a new fuel filler tube for a small leak, other than that it runs, drives and feels pretty good up to 60 mph. Now to figure out getting it plated with this whole virus thing making the BMV do appointment only.

Attachments

• Front Driver.jpg
    Front Driver.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Front Passenger.jpg
    Front Passenger.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 213
What engine and tranny do you have in there? What are your plans? Go BDN style and put it in primer.

my father got rid of his blown xtreme last fall due to rot. he got my moms jeep and my mom got a new buick suv lol.

The plan is making it a dirty rusted beater/hauler. I was too busy today, but tomorrow I'm going to call around to U-pull it places about a replacement bed, the rust is all the way through right over the rear axle. I'll grind out and primer (white... primer) the rust, other than that it has a small leak in the window seal, but the power windows work (and the locks, somewhat). It drives in a straight line so far.

Other than the fuel leak, replacing speakers, adding my aftermarket deck, subs/amp, and Sirius receiver, I will NOT be chopping it up. Sorry Brian! It took me 12 years to finally find a vehicle with a bed I can haul stuff in for under a grand. I liked BDNs low rider, I just always thought it was a waste of a perfectly good mulch/driveway stone/drywall/ladder hauler.

But all that will have to wait anyway. BMV appointments are two weeks out so I can't get the title transferred or get it plated until May 27th at the earliest so I can't drive it anywhere right now. Plus my Mazda really needs an oil change and the last of my new tires installed. So it'll be getting done in the meantime.

I started my own phone business in March after being laid off, and finally got some business cards printed in April after getting completely let go. I'm working closely with a networking guy and am trying to find a company that will let me resell SIP/VOIP systems, so I'll be using it for work as well.

What engine and tranny do you have in there? What are your plans? Go BDN style and put it in primer.

It's the 4.3 Vortec V6. Pretty beefy in the smaller frame. I'm used to the engine, just in a giant Savannah.

Congrats on starting your own business. Very exciting news.
If you have any tax questions along the way just shoot me a line.
-
Also, just so you know self employed people are currently covered by unemployment, and there is a $600/week kicker funded by the feds through your states unemployment system. You should definitely get on that if you are currently not working/making much money. Each state has its own rules, but in NY as long as you are working 3 days or less, and making less than $504 a week, you still qualify for at least partial NY unemployment, plus the federal $600/week on top.

Yup! Thank you, I may take you up on some free advice here and there.

I filed for Unemployment in March. Waited 5 weeks, got a call to clear up issues, and then was back paid 900 for 5 weeks.

Feels weird to say it took getting fired and a virus for me to actually be caught up on all my bills, plus I paid two monthly bills completely to 0. lol

Since I haven't had any actual work yet, I'm still claiming Unemployment until the extra 600 mandate runs out.

Currently looks like they might push or expand that $600/week, so perfect time to continue getting your company set up.
Nothing like a little seed money to help the transition.

always run codes and check for ready status of all systems before buying a used car.
might be evap popped last on the systems check. evap always takes the longest

Couple of weeks ago I was picking up the kiddo from school and noticed the temp gauge climbing higher and higher. After one of my interviews it decided to overheat and I had to leave it for the night at a business (called the next day to let them know). Last week I found a radiator and got it installed. After pulling the old one, I found the crack it was leaking from.

Installed all the hoses, put in a new radiator cap and clamps, and did an oil change while I was at it. Long story short, I was able to do this in just a couple hours and now it stays at the proper temperature while driving!

Right after fixing it and letting it idle for a while, a new drip was coming from the fuel tank area. I know the filler tube is probably rusted out, but it decided to start an actual drip. I put a few bucks of gas in it to see if it leaked out or went into the tank, and it's getting into the tank.

I cannot find a fuel pump listed for this thing anywhere. 19 isn't expandable, but 18 is the fuel pump sender tank seal, I think it's coming from the fuel filler neck or the connection to the tank, any thoughts?

Attachments

• Old and New Radiator.jpg
    Old and New Radiator.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Fuel tank parts.png
    Fuel tank parts.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 162
My Silverado's fuel pump rotted out. I was getting a gas smell an cel. One of the lines had a hole in it and the other cracked off real easy. I started to do the job but had some many problems that I had a shop finish the job. The shop had problems getting the pump and lines out but atleast he wasn't on his back in 30 degree weather.

It's probably just the filler neck that rotted further. I've got one already, and I think I'll just follow the advice to let someone with an ASE certification replace it. Not too keen on working around leaking fuel. Thanks, Jeff

Back