putting discs on drum brake rear on eg civic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The Godfather

Hi,

my eg civic has drum rear brakes and im keen to put disc rear end, just wondering if its a simple bolt on job?

also the eg doesnt have a rear sway bar or mounts for one and can get a bit snakey on the hwy with the foot down as she is now H22a

thanks

Yup, simple bolt-on. Easiest way = get trailing arms, e-brake cable, brake lines from a rear disc car- either the 94-01 Integra or any 92-00 Civic that had rear discs. Bolt up, bleed lines, align car, done.

Swap the proportioning valve if you can get one.

Rear sway bar mounts = lower control arm swap with another Civic that had a sway bar- usually the EX or Si from 92-00, or go aftermarket.

would the integra rear be better or is it the same as the civic? as in does the the integra gear bolt right up and are the brakes bigger?

Same size rear disc brakes at 9.5 inches- just not sure if the lower control arms are the same length or not.

yeah so prob safer to get a eg rear disc setup. i was quoted $250 here in aus trade price for the full rear end setup. will have to snatch it up i guess

Any 92-00 civic, 90-01 integra or del sol complete rear trailing arms will work for the disc swap. You will need a e brake cable for what ever chassis you have. I used a 98 integra 2 door e brake cable for my 98 civic coupe.

yeah so prob safer to get a eg rear disc setup. i was quoted $250 here in aus trade price for the full rear end setup. will have to snatch it up i guess

No, I was talking lower control arms to get you the sway bar mount locations. You don't need new LCAs for the rear disc swap.

You don't need the rear trailing arms either if you are mechanically inclined.

Unbolt the drum with a t-45 I think torx bit and then bolt on the rear discs. You will need the e brake cable still which might be cheap by itself. I did it this way because I knew for sure my rear ta's were not bent, I actually bought this conversion and the ta's were bent which led me to remove the discs and bolt to my old ta's.

Either way everything is bolt on and the same except the upper camber piece which is longer on the integra which will give you less negative camber. Im using integra lower control arm as well. I would also replace the bushing while you are at it with the newer oem honda bushing that was reformulated a few years ago.

LCA's between EG's and DC's are interchangeable. It is the EK's that differ.

Trailing arms not not needed no but it saves a ton of time doing the swap. Most rear disc swaps com as a complete trailing arm.

LCA's between EG's and DC's are interchangeable. It is the EK's that differ.

The JDM ITR LCAs are different, the shock mounts inside the LCA, EG/DC it mounts outside, the 96-00 and EG/DC look different, but besides the mounting hole for the sway are functionally the same.

Trailing arms not not needed no but it saves a ton of time doing the swap. Most rear disc swaps com as a complete trailing arm.

IMO it's a lot faster just swapping the hubs, TA's can be a real PITA to get off.

The JDM ITR LCAs are different, the shock mounts inside the LCA, EG/DC it mounts outside, the 96-00 and EG/DC look different, but besides the mounting hole for the sway are functionally the same.
True, the ITR LCA has different lower mount for the shock. The EK LCA is longer than the DC/EG.

True, the ITR LCA has different lower mount for the shock. The EK LCA is longer than the DC/EG.

Do you know how much longer? I grabbed a sway bar off a 95 teg for my EJ8, but need the EM1 endlinks unless I swap to the teg LCA.

You can drill holes in the LCA to mount a sway bar. I did it to my old Del Sol as it did not have a sway bar and I added Eibach sway bars to to, made a huge difference. On my EJ I have a 99-00 Si rear sway bar, helped some but want to get a GSR sway bars.

i had a few questions about the e-cable, are they the same length for coupes and sedans or no? and are the hub/bearing assemblies the same between drums and disks or do you need the one for the corresponding setup? looking to hopefully do this swap soon so answers would be nice lol thanks

and also do you really need to change the proportioning valve or no because ive read different things everywhere that you do then you dont then you need a new master cylinder and all that so just trying t figure that out.

When I did a rear disc swap I swapped the entire rear trailing arm, hub and ebrake cables. So I'm not sure what you need if you're piecing it together.

I did leave my MC and Prop valve alone and did not change it. I used this car for many track days as well and never had brake proportioning problems.

I'm just wondering because I wanted to change out the bearings at the sEe time so I don't need to do it again later so I can save some time

If you're getting new bearings, buy the bearings for the setup you're swapping to.

Back