Question about surging idle.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MthaFuknGreen

Green on the scene.
after i installed the new transmission in my car, my dad insisted that we bring my car to my dads friends shop to have it checked out. because i really dont have much mechanical experience, i figured what the hell?
hes been my dads mechanic for 10 years.
i dont really like him though.
basically, my car sat there for like 4 days before he finally looked at it and he said "well its idling at 3000 rpms and i cant tune it while its idling like that.. i tried turning down the idle but it just died."
so he came to the conclusion that the intake gasket is blown.
he hasnt tried anything else to solve the problem.
im almost positive its not the FITV cuz i screwed the ring all the way down and still had the problem.

the more i think about it, the more it bugs me. im almost convinced that id just need to bleed the coolant.
my reasoning behind this is because i think back and i didnt have the surging idle until after i replaced the radiator and when i was under the car replacing the transmission i noticed that the lower radiator hose wasnt really on all the way.

i just want a second(or third or fourth.. ect) opinion on if i should just pick my car up and bleed the coolant before letting him replace an intake gasket.
he took an hour to diagnose that as the problem, but im kinda skeptical about his diagnosis.

he didnt mention how the idle was surging, he just said that it was idling at 3000 RPM which i know is bullshit because i sat in the car right before i dropped it off and it was surging up to 3000 then dropping down to 700-800.

Does it surge during a cold start, or only after it warms up?

surges non stop.
even when im driving.
its kinda weird cuz if i dont have my foot on the gas, itll be surging and itll pull hard for a second as the rpms rise, then when the rpms drop it slows down.

i went to the guys shop and asked him why he thought it was a broken intake gasket and then i asked him to point out where the hole was cuz he said he could actually see the hole and he was just like "this is the intake, the gasket is down there. take your key im done." and now refuses to work on it.

while the car is running take some carb cleaner and spray around the base of the IM and other components attached to it.. if it starts to die out, you have a leak where ever you sprayed the carb cleaner

could be the idle control screw on the TB also

after i installed the new transmission in my car, my dad insisted that we bring my car to my dads friends shop to have it checked out. because i really dont have much mechanical experience, i figured what the hell?
hes been my dads mechanic for 10 years.
i dont really like him though.
basically, my car sat there for like 4 days before he finally looked at it and he said "well its idling at 3000 rpms and i cant tune it while its idling like that.. i tried turning down the idle but it just died."
so he came to the conclusion that the intake gasket is blown.
he hasnt tried anything else to solve the problem.
im almost positive its not the FITV cuz i screwed the ring all the way down and still had the problem.

the more i think about it, the more it bugs me. im almost convinced that id just need to bleed the coolant.
my reasoning behind this is because i think back and i didnt have the surging idle until after i replaced the radiator and when i was under the car replacing the transmission i noticed that the lower radiator hose wasnt really on all the way.

i just want a second(or third or fourth.. ect) opinion on if i should just pick my car up and bleed the coolant before letting him replace an intake gasket.
he took an hour to diagnose that as the problem, but im kinda skeptical about his diagnosis.

he didnt mention how the idle was surging, he just said that it was idling at 3000 RPM which i know is bullshit because i sat in the car right before i dropped it off and it was surging up to 3000 then dropping down to 700-800.

but yes, i tightened that too.

im kinda glad he decided not to work on it anymore, cuz ive been soo fucking bored lately.
would something other than carb cleaner work?
cuz i dont have any money.. lol or carb cleaner.

well, scrounge up a few bucks and head to Wally world..

Any flamable aresol will work, you could use aquanet hair spray from the dollar store. lol.

Any flamable aresol will work, you could use aquanet hair spray from the dollar store. lol.

really.. i wasnt sure if anything else worked.. i know carb cleaner does

and yea.. Kragen is fine too.. Walmart would be cheaper though

Serious. All your trying to accomplish is add more flamable mixture to you intake charge by means of a vacum leak. If itll suck air in, itll suck the hairspary in and your idle will fluctuate.

yea.. but hairspray would leave everything sticky.. carb cleaner evaporates..

Back