r18 in 93 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikes93civic

I have by luck gotten my hands on a brand new engine/tranny from the engine assy. plant in OH. This motor is still in the crate and never been installed. I was wondering if anybody had tried to do a r18 swap yet? just looking for any tips before I start. I have a 93 civic hatch dx 5sp. I really don't want a brand new free motor sitting in my garage it should be in my car. A little more power, gas mileage, and 0 miles. let me know.

The R18 is the new 06+ civic motor. I doubt anyone has done the swap yet since the engine would be rather difficult/expensive to get.

That would be a nice swap though since it gets 39mpg highway and has 140hp in the new civic, imagine what it would get in an eg.

Quoted post[/post]]
The R18 is the new 06+ civic motor. I doubt anyone has done the swap yet since the engine would be rather difficult/expensive to get.

That would be a nice swap though since it gets 39mpg highway and has 140hp in the new civic, imagine what it would get in an eg.

:werd:

There's a section for the R18 on SOHCHonda.com . I've never even seen a R18 so I can't help you much, but I suggest you check that site out.

This has to be on the top five of the most retarded ideas for a swap ever. Not be a dick homie, but what in this word would make you imagine that a 2006 honda engine would be compatible in a car 13 years older? There would never be a good reason to try unless you either wanted bragging rights (if there even are any) or wanted to have one of the most difficult, pointless, and expensive swap out there. <<End of Rant>> Sell it would be best if there is even a buyer out there which i doubt.

I would think that you would need more than the engine to pull this off.

Tranny
Half shafts (use to make custom shafts)
ECU
Cluster
Chassis harness
Engine harness
All relays fuse blocks etc.
Custom mounts
A ton of shit i havn't thought of.

Quoted post[/post]]
This has to be on the top five of the most retarded ideas for a swap ever. Not be a dick homie, but what in this word would make you imagine that a 2006 honda engine would be compatible in a car 13 years older? There would never be a good reason to try unless you either wanted bragging rights (if there even are any) or wanted to have one of the most difficult, pointless, and expensive swap out there. <<End of Rant>> Sell it would be best if there is even a buyer out there which i doubt.

ahh i guess you have been in a cave or something while people have been doing k swaps in eg's and even ef's.

Quoted post[/post]]

ahh i guess you have been in a cave or something while people have been doing k swaps in eg's and even ef's.

No i haven't been in a cave, i work for honda and have been studying this engine for about a year now. I know whats involved as far as emissions and engine control. I didnt mean to sound like a prick, but i just meant that the newer engines are getting less and less possible to be installed into another chassis without having to nearly re-engineer the entire powertrain control system.

I know this a a old thread , but what you are telling me that it would cost to much time and money to put the in a 92-95 hatch then ? the reason i ask is that we are about to do this swap in a hatch of those years .

I certainly don't think it's worth it. i mean, it's 140 hp. just do a b18b if thats the power you want. it will be cheaper and way easier

well we have found out the other than mounts and a little wiring , this will bolt in to the 92-95 civic . slight modded H22 mount for the passenger side with a K style medial mount . B series three bolt , for the drives side . again modded J style medial mount . for the rear mount was weird . the mount is off the oil pan . so looked around and found that hasport came up with a idea a while back for this . by using the bolting points for the steering rack . hasport did this trick in there K into DA mount kit . then axles from the stock R18 are the right length and spline for the swapping into the EG. I will have so photos up to see what i have done on the mock up . cost for making the mounts 300.00 and time about 8 hours for fab time . then 140 hp is at 3400 lbs car , not a 2250 EG civic . but well see .

just a little wiring?

isn't it drive by wire, too? immobilizer? etc.

the DBW systems are easy after you understand them .people at one time the work on carb car , still think fuel injection systems are way to much . so the same goes for us on the DBW systems . i been know for cracking the DBW K swaps and DBW V6 swaps as well . so to do the R18 system is base around the same systems . if i was not going for a clean look about 24 wires to start up the engine . that is what it takes to do the DBW V6 and K swaps.

now the immobilizers in these new ecu are pain in the butt. there base around the GM immobilize 6 systems . so if you have the passkey code to the ecu , which i dont have all of them yet , you can go and reflash the key immob code out of the system . for now i will have to use part of the stock fuse box from under the dash , key and key switch , and matching ecu . well till i crack this code too .

well we are starting with the project . got all the parts and come up with a mount design for the car as well . keep you guys updated in a few days .

here is the engine the car as I told you guy i would put up . not a bad swap so far . axles way easy to make . mount where not bad as well . found a better shifter to use than the stock one for the car . have pic of that too soon . swap is going faster than i thought it would .

Attachments

• DSC09669.JPG
    DSC09669.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,459
  • DSC09674.JPG
    DSC09674.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,478
made some head way with the job . here is what the bay looks like now

Attachments

• 20150613_124925[1].jpg
    20150613_124925[1].jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 1,737
  • 20150620_191251[1].jpg
    20150620_191251[1].jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 1,368
  • 20150620_191257[1].jpg
    20150620_191257[1].jpg
    784 KB · Views: 1,441
It is Alive and driving . First R18 EG civic .Thanks to Hasport and Eastpark AutoParts for there help . off the the body guys to do what they do . Will be at the Opener at Englishtown race way for honda day . plus some other goodies cars as well . have videos of the cars performance when she comes back .

+8

If this swap is done could a detailed write up be posted. If not could some light be shown onto wiring, axels and shift linkage aspects of the swap. I have a totalled '07 civic ex and a '98 civic hatchback

Back