Racing W/ An Auto (diff. Question Then From Earlie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if i start off in drive of course and then shift to 2nd will it help me and another question will it hurt my trans? thanks

Your shift maybe a little harder so it will probably get power to the ground a little faster but won't make a whole lot of difference in speed but a little difference should be noticed. It is not good for the tranny but it will not kill it either. You may strip the gears a little if you make a habit out of it.

Peace*

If your drag racing you want to start in first then second and so on, If your already moving then yes you can downshift, but if you go into to low of a gear at to high of a speed then you will do damage just like if you hit the wrong gear in a standard (example going into first at 60 MPH).

If you manually shift an automatic it will put more wear and tear on the tranny than it would if you drove went striaght up from D4.

Peace*

As long as your not beating on it every day shifting over 6 grand all the time in every gear it really does'nt hurt the transmission. It's actually worse when you stomp the pedal into the floor make the tranny downshift on it's own then don't let up to let it upshift again. However if the transmission has not been maintained then more wear will occur because the line pressure will be low and the clutch packs will slip more.

Stomping it to make it downshift really is terrible for an automatic tranny, most people don't realize this. Just keep a good check on the fluid level and use the good shit. Don't manually shift all the time and it should be fine. Also don't do any neutral dumps, they are terrible as well.

Peace*

You deffinatley shouldent neutral drop, but also trying to keep hte rev's up for a launch by holding the break peadal is worse. The heat build up will fry your tranny in a very bad way. Use a quality tranny cooler, and your tranny will live a little longer with racing type of abuse.

Zee

I would be careful doing that. I have a friend who was careless and did that all the time because he wished he had a stick shift. He didnt destroy anything but its noticble the damage he did. I reccomend if your wanting to shift, then you should shift over to a manuel drivin car.

Originally posted by chevy302dz@Jan 21 2003, 11:09 AM
As long as your not beating on it every day shifting over 6 grand all the time in every gear it really does'nt hurt the transmission. It's actually worse when you stomp the pedal into the floor make the tranny downshift on it's own then don't let up to let it upshift again. However if the transmission has not been maintained then more wear will occur because the line pressure will be low and the clutch packs will slip more.

Exactly.

For an automatic just floor it... and get a quick shift kit

it also depends on what kind of racing your talking about. If for drag, Just put it in drive and then brake trq off the line (deffently not good for brakes, engine, tranny) or just floor it. For an autoX, best bet would be to place it in d2 or what ever it called (dose not shift past 2nd) because rarely unless your really moving do you ever go faster than the red line in second (depending on your set up, in stock form this is normally true)

If you have an automatic you have:
A longer gear ratio = less acceleration
A larger rev's fall between gears = less acceleration
More gearbox losses = less power on the wheels

So, if you hava an automatic, you will loose.

However, you can do some improvements to you automatic car:
Use a Torque Converter - Best Improvement
Change the setup of the car's computer
Use a LSD.
Shorten the gearbox ratio.

lol ya i nuetral dropped my 93 Eagle Talon at 7 grand.... the tranny was like :fuckyou2: and im like, fuck this im getting a honda. so to make a long story short DONT NUETRAL DROP!!!!!!! unless u want a new transmission.

Back