RAID advice?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

After building a new computer last semester, I've filled up one of my 500gb drives, and need to go about buying some more hdd's. I also just got a dslr, and want to make sure that my pics and documents are backed up.

So here's the question: do I go with RAID, or should I just get a couple external hdd's and back up that way. If raid is the better choice, should I do it on my main computer, or build a cheap computer just for that? I know my Asus P5Q Pro can supposedly do raid, but my sata ports are almost all filled, I think there's only room for 2 more things to plug in.

So what do you guys suggest.

If you go raid depending on the set up you could have 4 500gb hard drives and it will be like you only have 1. I would suggest going with a raid set up only if you had something of extreme importance. Otherwise I would say get an external usb drive. If you store a lot of music along with pictures and documents I would suggest storing pictures and documents on a separate drive than music and videos. Supposing you listen to the music a lot that drive will get used more then the one with pics and docs, and if that drive fails the music will be lost but at least your pictures and documents will be safe. My stuff I have pictures saved on photobucket, one of my hard drives and on a 4 gb flash drive. My documents are on the drive with my pics and the flash drive. I have music stored on another hard drive and all of my videos go onto dvd's. My computer only has 3 hard drives. but everything is safe. Like I said I'm not worried about the music because it can easily be replaced.

I'd just get a raid 1 mirrored external. nice and easy, and only use it to back up... not use.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how did you fill up a 500gig HD in one semester? Did you have a ton of stuff that you put on your new setup after you built it?

I've been running on the same 250gig drive for the last year and some change, and I haven't even come close to filling it. I DL music and movies all the time and have a ton of stuff on my comp...

id build my own setup with 2 of the 1tb western digitial green cavair drives. its about 100 bucks a pop. and if you had an old tower or spare parts, you can set up a windows home server on it and let it automatically back up for you.

Just out of curiosity, how did you fill up a 500gig HD in one semester? Did you have a ton of stuff that you put on your new setup after you built it?

I've been running on the same 250gig drive for the last year and some change, and I haven't even come close to filling it. I DL music and movies all the time and have a ton of stuff on my comp...
Bittorrent and downloading a lot of DVD rips and music. I'm at the point of shuffling things around between drives to be able to dl more. I am going to be able to free up some of that space once I burn stuff to DVD, but its obvious I'm gonna want more storage pretty soon.

WD 2TB My Book Mirror Edition USB External HDD $190 - SlickDeals.net Forums

the WD external drive with 2x1tb that can be set in raid 1 for 190 after coupons. seems good to me
sweet. thanks. Are any of those I linked to good? what about buy.com, are they legit?

the WD from dell is the same from buy.com and as of right now, their caviar black and green are the best 7200rpm consumer level hard drives available. and yeah buy.com is good, ive bought from there several times.

I've always had good luck with Ibuypower.com. Some have said in the past they prefer not to deal with them, but every time I have made a purchase they have been good.

Check out Drobo, I dont have any personal experince with them but I hear good things.

Back