Rebuild, or New Motor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

But then again, think of it as a goood excuse to swap to something better! Thats what I did with my car. I bought my hatch completely stock. The motor had a fried ring (or 2), so it was just motivation for me to get the swap done. That thing drank a quart every 50 miles!!!

Yes, it is a good idea to go with something better, but not if he's on a tight budget.

what he needs to do is do all of his own mechanical work. That would save him alotta beans that he could be putting toward more power.

For 1750 you could do a clean GSR short block with the original b16 head and pocket half of the $$$.

Why doesn't he do his own work? No cherry picker? You can pick one up for under $350 and still come in cheaper.. even if he had to go purchase a set of tools, you can get a good basic set of craftsmen tools for $300ish. Then he would have the cherry picker and the tools, so he could do his own work from here on out.

I dunno.. I just hate to throw mechanics any money whatsoever. They always take all of the money, even if they didnt fix anything, and the faster the turn over, the more money they make. So it pays to half ass things, which is a sorry ass system.

I agree... i never let a mechanic touch my car unless its body work or machining. Plus, when you do work yourself, and shit goes wrong, its very easy to diagnose and fix. About this guy..... he didn't seem to know much at all about cars when I sold it to him. He thought that civic's were RWD, and that vtec (well VEEETAK in his lingo) was an electric cutout in the exhaust that made it louder. He thought that it had a v6 too, because it was quicker than any 4cyl cars hed been in.

I say depends how much money/time he has. Doing his own work would save much $$. Easy swap to do.. easy to rebuild also(depending on damage)...I also have a short block sitting in my garage right now! Hit me up if he's interested. Good luck

ttracing03 said:
I say depends how much money/time he has. Doing his own work would save much $$. Easy swap to do.. easy to rebuild also(depending on damage)...I also have a short block sitting in my garage right now! Hit me up if he's interested. Good luck

PM'd!!

Back