Remodel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mdlax1

There are a ton of things we're going to do while we're here at our first house, some are still on the decision block, some are deff getting done.

This project is remodeling our basement. There are a few reason why we want to do this. Some of which include:

No insualation in the entire basement. Not one stich
Wood Panel walls (it's not the 60's anymore)
2x3 framing
Old electric
Primative A/V cable

So we're:...

network the entire house, coax, fiber, cat6, patch panels, svideo, drywall everything, insulate, add drops for 7.1 surround, building a reinforced wall for the 50"+ lcd tv unit, new carpet, new windows, fresh electric, new theatre lighting, fresh paint, etc

Here are some shots of the floor plan when it's all said and done.

(update: everywhere you see 2 network drops its now one figure i dont really need 12 in my house.. one in each room 3 in the office is fine)

Downstairs
downstairs.jpg

Upstairs
upstairs.jpg

Here is some shots of the before and after demo.

normal_DSCN6362.JPG

(under this window is where the 50 + flat LCD will go (we're reinforcing the stuts here to support it)

normal_DSCN6363.JPG

(New windows going in place of these POS's *most our heat is out these shit boxes)

normal_DSCN6364.JPG

(Fucking panel everywhere)

normal_DSCN6365.JPG

(Going to be all sheet rock)

normal_DSCN6382.JPG

(People before us' awesome molding job)

normal_DSCN6390.JPG

(Demo started)

normal_DSCN6395.JPG

(Panels all gone)

normal_DSCN6398.JPG

(fucking 2x3's if it was at least 2x4's i wouldnt have to reframe it all.FUCK!)

normal_DSCN6404.JPG

(Phone line ran INTO the air duct.. awesome...)

normal_DSCN6406.JPG

(Framings gone)

normal_DSCN6407.JPG

normal_DSCN6408.JPG

(the only wall with 2x4's *looking into my office* too bad they built it OVER the fucking paneling.. so thats gonna come down too..)

normal_DSCN6410.JPG

(looking into my work shop/utility room)

Few more pictures for you all.

Wall being built
normal_DSCN6420.JPG

Wall hung
normal_DSCN6423.JPG

We only got to one wall up tonight, granted a large wall. I'm ordering all my networking stuff tonight/tomorrow and working on demoing one more wall and a doorway we didnt think we were tearing out, sealing up some of the masonry, and adding a new joice.

Water proofing on the masonry behind where the TV will be
normal_DSCN6447.JPG

Random shot of doing it right
normal_DSCN6448.JPG

Decided to pull out the last wall while we were at it, and again, re-do it right
normal_DSCN6449.JPG

24' wall up
normal_DSCN6455.JPG

normal_DSCN6456.JPG

Boxing out the framing for the breaker box
normal_DSCN6458.JPG

Wall the Tv will go on framed up. Minus the support for the tv (those cross members are me sketching out where i want the tv i'll be adding major support here soon
normal_DSCN6467.JPG

2 more walls to go after this guy (back wall in my office)
normal_DSCN6469.JPG

Discusting single pane aluminum frame window w/ sill framed out
normal_DSCN6478.JPG

New windows ready to go in
normal_DSCN6480.JPG

Second to last wall getting framed out
normal_DSCN6483.JPG

normal_DSCN6484.JPG

The wall is actually level and plum... think the rafters might be off a bit????
normal_DSCN6485.JPG

NEW 10/22/2006

Still see the hook ups from the kitchenette, black wire on the left is the main for the oven i guess
normal_DSCN6492.JPG

Office Wired for electric
normal_DSCN6489.JPG

Nother wall getting juice
normal_DSCN6491.JPG

14-2 jungle
normal_DSCN6494.JPG

New recessed (see diagram for locations)
normal_DSCN6497.JPG

My office done (just needs RJ drops for the network)
normal_DSCN6519.JPG

New recessed (very good boxes too.. )
normal_DSCN6524.JPG

Theater 3 ways and recessed switches
normal_DSCN6518.JPG

Next on the list, Cat 5e run and insulation. then it's the home stretch!

Next some stuff im getting for the network lol [pushes up glasses]

Red CAT 5e Horizontal UTP Bulk Cable 1000'
B20-1000-rd.jpg

Bag of 100 of these
11380.jpg

Termination cabinet for the patch panel and switch
box1-wall.jpg

Bout 20 of the "21's"
j.jpg

Two of these to organize the cable from the box
media2.gif

12 of these
media3.gif

12 of these
media4.gif

12 of these
media.gif

12 of these
media5.gif

1 of these 24 port patch panel
patch.jpg

1 24 port switch
switch.JPG

I'm also getting Verizon's Fios TV and Internet soon as college football season is over, so all these infrastructure is gonna be backed up by a 15 gig optic line ;) OMG im a nerd but i love it.

Last edited:
Looks like you're spending some serious money. If you need any tips or anything hit me up on aim bmxslyguy187. I build for a living and I'm obsessed with remodels. I did one last summer for free, a 5 bedroom basement just to learn more processes and to tackle problems like sloped floors and such.

Spending hasnt been TOO bad, so far my total is up to 1723.21 but thats including 700 in attic insulation too.

and i've already got all the insulation for the basement, all the windows doors 2x4's some tools, big ass dumpster in my driveway, saw horses, shop vac etc etc only thing i havent bought yet is carpet, drywall/mud/tape. My budget is 4,000 if i can stay less than 1k over that i'll be happy.

Also not mentioned is that im replacing the cabinet you see all the way on the right in this picture
normal_DSCN5053.JPG

with one of these ;)
657433000642.jpg
:)

I will hit you up because i have a pretty heafty question about replacing the windows and mudding the drywall.

you're putting a wine fridge right next to a range?

:eek:

I'd build a wine cellar in the basement since your redoing it over anyways.

Awsome looking job man. :thumbsup: Interested to see if your using molding and and such after the sheetrock is up.

correct.

and also, there was nothing "structurely" wrong with using 2x3 construction in the basement, most contractors will but 2x4's on the flat to make the most room. I would have left them up there and just rock'd over them instead of building new walls unless needed to partition different space.

But thats just me, good luck, I'm sure it'll come out great. :)

Join us for next weeks episode of "This Old Basement"

why not just go wireless instead of running wires everywhere?
just curious

Man wireless is a pain in the ass. I haven't found a router yet that doesn't drop the link on a daily basis. Plus issues with interference from flourescent lights, the wiring in the house, cordless phones...
I wish i had set up my office with cables instead of wireless. I thought wireless would be less of a hassle. It's not.

correct.

and also, there was nothing "structurely" wrong with using 2x3 construction in the basement, most contractors will but 2x4's on the flat to make the most room. I would have left them up there and just rock'd over them instead of building new walls unless needed to partition different space.

Word to that. It could have saved you some time and money. I would have also egressed the window as well so it could be counted as sq footage on the house as well.

why not just go wireless instead of running wires everywhere?
just curious

Wireless sucks, nothing beats a good ole wired connection, faster more reliable.

My guess is that it is very inefficient to put a fridge next to a heat source...

lol, um.. my wife cooks like all the time, i dont see one thing wrong with having a range next to a wine chiller, first ovens and wine chillers are insulated lol. Next the same amount of radiant heat coming through the bay window in the front of the kitchen will have the same effect on a wine chiller. thats kinda like saying dont put it next to the dishwasher because when it's on, it's harder for the chiller to chill.. maybe the case but not by much.. hell im getting more engergy loss OUT the window if anything

correct.

structurally no, but at the top of my post you'll see the main reason was insulation. ever try to run new outlet boxes and lay drywall over 3 inches of insulation on a 2.5 inch "2x3" ? not worth the hassle. Rip it out and bring it up to code and up to par. No reason to cut corners

Word to that. It could have saved you some time and money. I would have also egressed the window as well so it could be counted as sq footage on the house as well.

Time isnt a real issue, and money thankfully isnt either, and...

HUH? regressed window and sq footage? how do you mean?

In the state of Wisconsin, as i assume it is in all states, in order to claim your basement as a "livable" space (square footage) you must satisfy the basement egress code. Basically it means that another opening could be used in case of a fire as an emergency exit.

Lets say for example I purchase a 1500 sq ft house with an unfinished basement. I am a shop teacher so one summer I decide to finish off the 800 sq ft basement. In order to add that to the total sqare footage of the house bringing it to 2300 square feet I need to satisfy this code. In most cases it means installing a bigger window with a well so that in the case of a fire I can get out of the window and climb up to the surface.

I am assuming that you aquired a building permit for this project...If not when you go to sell your house you could run into a myraid of problems. In a worst case scenario the inspector could actually make you tear out all of the work that is being done.

here is a link to a site that might explain egress a little better.

Basement Answers - Basement Egress Window Wells - Basement Egress Window Wells

well nothing is being expanded that hasn’t already existed we're not increasing the sq footage/finished living area, nor increasing the window sizes, we're actually shrinking the size of the basement because of the 1" in 2x4 that is being added all around.

we're basically making everything more efficient more than anything else, in addition there are other exits in the basement other than the windows there is another door as well

Oh that changes the whole equation I didn't see a door in the photos. I would still be surprised if you didn't "need" a permit for a remodel but each state is different. I know in WI you need a permit for everything from pouring a new driveway to changing you deck on your house. I am just trying to lend a fellow swapper and home improver a hand.

FYI- Building Permits

"Building permits are required any time a building--a home, an apartment complex, a store, a church, an office building, or whatever--is constructed, enlarged, altered or demolished. In Maryland, builders apply for permits from either the County or the town where the building site is located."

no worries bro, im with ya, the only place you can see the door is in this photo
normal_DSCN6410.JPG

it's on the far top left you can barely see it really.

yeah of course i got all the proper and legal permits :rolleyes:

Back