Remote mounted turbo for the 8th gen's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
So lately I've been thinking about turboing my r18.

There are a few things I'd like personal opinions/suggestions on.

From a little research:
Currently a Chinese company made a conventional setup for the r18. It's supposedly making somewhere around 245 whp or so. I didn't read too much about it but I don't think it's available to the public, at least not the US.

AJP is also in production, but I read they completed a kit and after a little testing they ended up having issues, so they're kit is on hold for public sale and they're back in the garage resolving those.

I believe ProCivic is the only company who've completed a kit that is currently for sale to the public. Here's a video with this kit installed, it seems extremely disappointing, it'd only slightly faster then my LX, looks like the stock SI is still quicker.

YouTube - Honda Civic R18 Turbo Video

I personally am not one to buy pre-built kits, now although there's obviously enough room for a conventional setup, I was thinking of doing a remote setup. I think I started a thread about this years ago but with a different motor. Regardless this is now and is what I've been contemplating..

For those who aren't familiar with what I'm talking abut when I say remote setup. The setup consists of the same parts, only difference is the turbo doesn't hang off of the exhaust manifold but is placed much further back, sometimes right before the muffler. Disadvantages may overrule the advantages......but then again, they may not.

Some of my main reasons for doing this way would be:

A) Space
- there is not much space in the engine bay.
B) Less fabrication
-The stock exhaust manifold is irregular, if you watched the video I posted (https://hondaswap.com/auto-multi-media/kinda-interesting-r18a1-114866/) or just look in the pictures you can see it's not normal.

I need to do some research on fuel management and what system will work with the DBW , also the intake manifold is plastic on these bad boys, so I also have to figure out how much pressure it can take
Let me know what you guys think, opinions ideas. Any suggestions.

I'll add more to this later.

Ive heard a lot of rumors that RMT cars run like total ass in the rain if at all. Maybe turn the inlet up, cut a hole in your trunk floor and mount the air filter in the trunk somewhere. Maybe the spare tire well to be hidden.

I'm digging your ideas man. I've thought about the possibilities of a turbon on that motor myself. One quick thought though...have you considered the warranty? Obviously doing something like this is going to void it, and in the worst case scenario that something goes wrong and your motor ends up blown, you'd be SOL big time...

I'd stop bringing it in for routine maintenance and if something happened, I'd just take the kit off..

Ive heard a lot of rumors that RMT cars run like total ass in the rain if at all. Maybe turn the inlet up, cut a hole in your trunk floor and mount the air filter in the trunk somewhere. Maybe the spare tire well to be hidden.

That's not a bad idea, or just a shield.

Dude I know from turbokits.com had it on his truck with the shield, he said it still sucked. Just something to keep in mind :)

Based on my research on STS's kits, it seems like you have to size the exhaust portion of the turbo to about 2/3 of what you would normally run on an underhood turbo.

Hmm, I was thinking of going with a 50/63 t3 but I guess I should probably start with a smaller turbo on this one. Might as well go with s 60/48 and see what kind of numbers I can make. I still have to do some more research and save up a bubch of money vut it'll be worth it.

Twin turbo!! remote and underhood. that would be sick. The motor is out of the car right now?

No, motor's still in in it.

I just read over my post and forgot the engine bay pics, so here they are.

Attachments

• Photo-0065.jpg
    Photo-0065.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Photo-0066.jpg
    Photo-0066.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Photo-0067.jpg
    Photo-0067.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Photo-0068.jpg
    Photo-0068.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 203
I guess I misread I thought you said it was out. but yeah twin turbo would probably be ridiculus to tune. I was just kidding though. I haven't seen many people with remote mounted turbos. Do they have bad lag?

Back