Removing crappy primer from polyurethane

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

Ok, i picked up my kit today, and i found out it has been primed in crappy white primer. Its cracked all over and chipped. I need to remove this, but im afraid of messing up the poly with chemicals. What would be the best way to remove the paint? Can i use paint stripper, or will that ruin the poly? Thanks.

Originally posted by 5speed4life@Jul 6 2005, 12:02 PM
Ok, i picked up my kit today, and i found out it has been primed in crappy white primer. Its cracked all over and chipped. I need to remove this, but im afraid of messing up the poly with chemicals. What would be the best way to remove the paint? Can i use paint stripper, or will that ruin the poly? Thanks.
[post=521612]Quoted post[/post]​

They use paint stripper on plastic/urethane bumper covers all time, I don't forsee a problem, but double check. Email the company. Other people on here I am sure will post the same thing I have said.

if its primer just sand it down and apply a good self etching primer with a good flex additive I don't recomend striping it if you dion't have to.

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 6 2005, 02:23 PM-->
5speed4life
@Jul 6 2005, 12:02 PM
[post=521612]Quoted post[/post]​

They use paint stripper on plastic/urethane bumper covers all time, I don't forsee a problem, but double check. Email the company. Other people on here I am sure will post the same thing I have said.
[post=521630]Quoted post[/post]​

ARGHHHH!!!

I started to use the stripper, and busted out the pressure washer to get it all off, and now i got some holes in my poly side skirt. Sweet.

The primer on it is very shitty, i pressure washed a bunch of it off, but i guess it will have to be sanded.

Anyone know whats good to fill in urethane, like if you got holes (not through, but gouges) in it?

BACK AWAY FROM THE STRIPPER... Thats what the bouncer told me, and it seems like good advise..

Anyway, dont use chemicals on the urethane, it'll mess it up.

Wet sand it with something like 220.. It'll go fast and give you one hell of a good base to shoot fresh, new, high quality primer onto.

Good luck!

aww damn... too late.. The stripper makes the urethane much softer than it ever should be. hence the gouging. Damn man. Whip out the wallet and get another kit, that one is toast.

R.I.P.

wet sand it with 220?
are you out of your god damn mind...

you should have searched on here, i explained it before

the same shit happened to me, i bought a used 6 piece WW urethane kit for my first 91 hatch, it had a good 3 diffrent colors of paint, along with some shitty primer...

all the paint and primer was spidered like a mother fucker...

i used aircraft paint stripped(white can with blue accents) and a flat blade mac scraper...
let the stripper sit for 5 to 10 and lightly scraped the lifted layers off...
longer than 10 minutes and it starts to re dry and then you're gonna scrape too hard and gouge it...

so i used the stripper to get most of it off and then i used a PALM DA with 120 on it and just buzzed the rest of the primer/base off...

then resprayed the primer, scotch brite'ed the primer, then based and cleared...

not sure how it held up cause the car was stolen 30 days later... but it looked like glass when it was done...

if the gouges are light then just sand em out, if they are deep i would just use bondo... simple and easy...

if its in a HIGH flex area you may want to consider something other than bondo, either straight fiberglass resin, or perhaps some urethane product that will harden, maybe that m3 window weld that people use to harden motor mounts, but i never tried that..

palm DA - dual action sander, pneumatic...
its gotta be a small, light expensive one...
home depot had an ingersol rand for less than 150 i think, and it looked good...

you def do not want to use one of the big doofy right angle DA's, they are fucking junk...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 7 2005, 11:47 AM
wet sand it with 220?
are you out of your god damn mind...

you should have searched on here, i explained it before

the same shit happened to me, i bought a used 6 piece WW urethane kit for my first 91 hatch, it had a good 3 diffrent colors of paint, along with some shitty primer...

all the paint and primer was spidered like a mother fucker...

i used aircraft paint stripped(white can with blue accents) and a flat blade mac scraper...
let the stripper sit for 5 to 10 and lightly scraped the lifted layers off...
longer than 10 minutes and it starts to re dry and then you're gonna scrape too hard and gouge it...

so i used the stripper to get most of it off and then i used a PALM DA with 120 on it and just buzzed the rest of the primer/base off...

then resprayed the primer, scotch brite'ed the primer, then based and cleared...

not sure how it held up cause the car was stolen 30 days later... but it looked like glass when it was done...

if the gouges are light then just sand em out, if they are deep i would just use bondo... simple and easy...

if its in a HIGH flex area you may want to consider something other than bondo, either straight fiberglass resin, or perhaps some urethane product that will harden, maybe that m3 window weld that people use to harden motor mounts, but i never tried that..

palm DA - dual action sander, pneumatic...
its gotta be a small, light expensive one...
home depot had an ingersol rand for less than 150 i think, and it looked good...

you def do not want to use one of the big doofy right angle DA's, they are fucking junk...
[post=522133]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, ive been looking for a while on prepping the kit, and i guess i didnt find your thread

And all i have to work with is one of those big doofy right angle DA's that are fucking junk... but its doing the job. Its just taking alot longer than i expected. argh. I hit it up with 180, first, then i plan to hit it up again with 320 b4 i prime. but that may not be nessicary.

I was hoping to have my interior out, engine out, kit prepped, and car in primer today, but its lookin like the car wont make it to primer. Atleast i got the engine and most of the interior out.

I got one side skirt, both door caps, and the font bumper is almost done. the rear dosent look too hard.

be careful with that DA dude...

it will rip your shit up... might not look bad now, but when you spray it with base and clear you;re gonna see more waves than the ocean..

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 7 2005, 03:24 PM
be careful with that DA dude...

it will rip your shit up... might not look bad now, but when you spray it with base and clear you;re gonna see more waves than the ocean..
[post=522237]Quoted post[/post]​

Im doing the "feel" thing. Im working on it to the best of my ability. I dont think it will be too bad when its done. i dont mind waves as much as scratches.

Anyway, i will keep you guys updated.

I would. . . sand the entire thing with 320 or more preferably 400 just enough to smooth the surface. then apply a few very light coats of etching primer.

Originally posted by jimboburgess@Jul 7 2005, 07:45 PM
I would. . . sand the entire thing with 320 or more preferably 400 just enough to smooth the surface. then apply a few very light coats of etching primer.
[post=522357]Quoted post[/post]​

Argh... im tired of sanding. lol. ive been sanding the past 4 days solid. eeh.

i gave up on the bodykit for right now, I removed the glass and gutted the car.
Im just working on getting the body perfect and in primer.

Good job for taking the time and doing it right... Not just bolting it up while its still in the damned box and driving around with a big dumb grin on your face while your skirt is dragging the ground because your elmer's didnt hold... I still wouldn't use a DA... wet sanding by hand is the best... (I know, I know, Da roxors.. You used a chain saw to sand your kit and it turned out fine, etc, etc.... damned haters)

Hope it turns out nice for ya.

Originally posted by phyregod@Jul 8 2005, 12:52 PM
Good job for taking the time and doing it right... Not just bolting it up while its still in the damned box and driving around with a big dumb grin on your face while your skirt is dragging the ground because your elmer's didnt hold... I still wouldn't use a DA... wet sanding by hand is the best... (I know, I know, Da roxors.. You used a chain saw to sand your kit and it turned out fine, etc, etc.... damned haters)

Hope it turns out nice for ya.
[post=522695]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks

I am going to wetsand it by hand once most of the primer is knocked off.

Back