Removing Tailgate Spoiler

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Judo_boy_48

Anyone know of the easiest way to remove a tailgate spoiler for a truck.

I have an 05 Colorado Extreme to be exact.

I can't tell if its glued or taped.

I need to have it off by this weekend so I can get my tonneau cover installed.

Hell if I'm going to have them remove it. The place I bought my tonneau from wants $70 just to remove it.

I was just wondering if someone knew some technique to take it off.

Heat gun maybe?

i meant just call and see which it is and ask them, im sure they arent going to say "no we cant tell you" but heat gun/hair dryer is my guess

Dude no manufacture puts a spoiler on without bolting it on. Could you imagine the liability involved if the spoiler tape came loose and the spoiler flew off and hit someone?? And dont half ass it by prying it off you will F*** up the bed sides or whatever its bolted on to. IMO i would just pay for it if your not sure.

Damn if it was only taped on im not going to drive behind any of these trucks from now on.:lol: But then again, working for a dealer, i know the people that answer customer phone calls are usually very vague when it comes to situations like these because they want you to come in and spend your money.

MXDesa said:
Dude no manufacture puts a spoiler on without bolting it on. Could you imagine the liability involved if the spoiler tape came loose and the spoiler flew off and hit someone?? And dont half ass it by prying it off you will F*** up the bed sides or whatever its bolted on to. IMO i would just pay for it if your not sure.
Bolted?

Have you ever looked a truck tailgate recently? How would you bolt a spoiler on?

The honda ridgeline has a factory accesory spoiler bolted on! The Ram Daytona has a BOLTED on spoiler, anything else???

That may not be the case for all trucks, but i just dont think a manufacturer would just tape it on. sooner or later it will loose its ability to hold the spoiler on. Your obviously asking how to remove it so i doubt you know how a spoiler is attached to a tail gate. Pry it off and let us know how it comes out... Lol Smart ass

Last edited:
remove the plastic on the inside of the tailgate if there is even plastic (i've never looked at the inside of the bed) i bet you'll find your bolts.. and then you'll be left with holes in the tailgate...

Well whoever guessed bolts was wrong :)

Was just double sided tape. There was no way this thing would just fly off though. Talk about tape all over the place.

It was secured down real good.

If I didn't use a heat gun there was no way it would budge. Even with the heat gun it took a lot to pull it off.

The whole underside was covered with tape. The top and the sides.

kinda off topic, but wings west door caps are held on solely by 3M double stick tape, along with the upper edges on the side skirts

reckedracing said:
kinda off topic, but wings west door caps are held on solely by 3M double stick tape, along with the upper edges on the side skirts

Yeah but a vehicle manufacture installed part has more liability than a aftermarket part cause wings west could easily dispute that you installed it wrong if it fell off. But i guess some are tape on, but like he said, its some strong ass tape...

Back