Replace good looking Timing Belt??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

Before I drop my b16 into my CRX, i would like to know if its nessary to replace the timing belt even if it looks like its in good condition. I cranked the engine over so that I could inspect the belt and it *looks* perfect. Should I still replace it? I will need a special tool from honda (to hold the pullies while I unscrew the bolt) and that will take time and MORE money (god damnit i'm getting broke). Thanks.

-Kai

if it was my engine I would replace it, and no you dont need the special tools from honda. use a impact wrench, it should break it loose, if not, look to the honda tool.

its in your best interest too.

check the condition of the current belt

a timing belt is what $30?????????

get a new one ... at least then you KNOW that it is good

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Mar 26 2004, 04:37 AM
a timing belt is what $30?????????

get a new one ... at least then you KNOW that it is good

:withstupid:

while you're at it why not replace the water pump as well?

At least that's always been the concensus on feoa when changing the timing belt, better to know what you have, then have to worry about what you were too cheap to fix before it was a problem.

Use Honda Genuine Parts, why?...better made, and last longer. Unless you want to get like Toda or GReddy timing belt.
I do notice many aftermarket timing belt strach easier and wear out faster.

why do you need an impact to change the timing belt? If someone can tell me then I would have learned something new. If the engine is already out it should be pretty easy to do. And for peace of mind why not change it.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Mar 26 2004, 07:44 AM
why do you need an impact to change the timing belt? If someone can tell me then I would have learned something new. If the engine is already out it should be pretty easy to do. And for peace of mind why not change it.

to get the crank pulley bolt out so you can take the crank pulley off and get the lower timing belt cover off. you dont NEED one, cause a breaker bar will work too.

I dont' have the special wrench needed to hold the alternator pulley while trying to take off the bolt. I already have an honda belt and water pump that I want to put in, but there is no way for me to remove that damn pulley.

you can try a strap wrench on the pulley and a breaker bar on the bolt. its worked for me before

Someone had a good idea a little while ago how to do that.

1. Pull the spark plug in cyl #1
2. Put the piston at bottom dead center between intake and compression stroke
3. get a buch of hemp rope, or some other natural fiber
4. push of much as you can into the cylinder

this will "lock" the engine and prevent it from turning while you try and break loose the crack bolt.

i dont think im going to go jamming shit into my cyclinders. i dont think anyone else is either, even if it does burn. that is the most improper way of doing it Ive EVER heard. r u actually serious?

yeah im definitly not feeling stuffing my cylinders!!! all you have to do to hold the crank pully in one place is pop off the flywheel cover and lock a screw driver in there in the holes or between the teeth, man why try something like that when it is this easy

I had my dad pry on the fly wheel with a crow bar while I used a 4' bar to try and break off that nut and it still didn't work. It doesn't screw in the opposite way (anti-clockwise tighten, clockwise loosen) does it? And even with about 100lbs of force on the end of the bar (read 400ft*lbs) it wouldn't come off. IT IS RATED AT 87FT*LBS!!!!! WTF IS GOING ON!!!!!

i couldnt get mine off with a breaker bar when I did my belt. I had to use the impact wrench. It was easier for me, I had the car with the engine in it, and I put it in 4th gear and took the bolt out. This is definitly the hardest bolt to un do on hondas.

If its that much of a pain why don't you give some mechanic a few bucks on the side to break it loose for you.

Back