Replacing Harmon Kardon system in BMW

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95b16coupe

So the HK system in my 330ci sucks pretty bad. I find it overrated and the front speakers are showing signs they may be blown. Music with faster bass sounds like a there is a bumble bee in the door. I want to replace the front door speakers first, thats where most of the problem is coming from. Budget for front door speakers is up to $100.

I would like to piece it together instead of just spending $700 for a set of speakers. but I would like it to be one, consistent brand throughout.

Or I can piece it together from a site like amazon. I know crutchfield is popular, but I haven't really found any sites that can beat amazon prices.

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System: Electronics

There are pre-built kits such as this:
BMW Speakers Upgrade Kit for E46 BMW 323Ci, 325Ci, 328Ci, 330Ci, and M3 Coupe | BSW: Audio Upgrades For BMWs

i've got refs in my mirage, sound great even with my crappy sony ipod radio. lots of bass and no amp.

however a pre-built kit, in a car like that, may be the way to go. no question of fitment and no issues trying to match components.

that BSW kit looks good

you wont get a more complete kit for anywhere near that price

that BSW kit looks good

you wont get a more complete kit for anywhere near that price

after doing more research, I learned it's not a complete kit. it's still missing the subwoofer/rear deck speakers. which actually appear to just be 6x9's

NDAzNjJfcA==.png

garbage on the kit..... that is all.

for 1400 bucks you can have much higher quality components with an amplifier and possibly even a kick ass 8inch woofer!

I have not purchased infinity since high school but I'm sure they're great.
Look into some memphis PR series too. they are affordable and have great quality and sound rating.

You're in a luxury vehicle. get high class stuff ;)
I'm ordering some memphis syncs for the WRX and I can assure you that the sound quality is like not other. even without an amplifier, just a good headunit.
MClass Component Speakers from Memphis Car Audio

you are honestly comparing Rainbow to Memphis?

i know nothing about stereo systems. at all.... i had to research and find out that the 6.5" speakers in the bmw are 2" deep and the standard 6.5" is 2 2/4" and it does make a huge different. custom brackets and door panel modification is needed.

apparently the most common direct swap is for 5.25" speakers. so i'll probably look in that direction.

you GD right.......

what's your choice when it comes to door speakers?

I am not gonna knock memphis for what they are, a good factory replacement. with that said they are a good replacement for somthing cheap not somthing i would put in a bmw, hell i wouldn't even put em in my vw. but if your lookin for somthing that will sound amazing and is on par with some rainbows, Elemental Designs: Car Stereo, Home Speakers, Electronics boom there ya go

good "replacement" ? I will have to kindly disagree.

the MC and Syncs are more than replacements.
the syncs are AMAZING without and amp. when hooked up to some real power they are LOUD and crystal clear.

the real question is how loud he listen to his music. For all we know some pioneer cheapos would do. :lol:

I'll post pics for you when I get my syncs hooked up.

who needs loud speakers? i like my hearing :)

i don't need it loud, but the clarity is garbage and the bass response is terrible. the "subs" are only a pair of 6x9 and play a terrible mid level bass.

i've got a pair of kicker 6x9 in the back deck running off my pioneer ipod radio. sounds pretty good but i miss having speakers in the doors.

so if i pair them together, i can get the full set for $1200. they offer a small discount for buying both. it looks as if some of the forums have a small coupon code. I guess I'll save up and get the set when i can get an additional 10-15% off.

I still don't like the fact that it's a pain in the ass to get a perfect fit for most aftermarket speakers.

I'm sure you can get away with a smaller size. for door speakers just get a set of nice component speakers. as long as they have a good crossover that should regulate the tweeter.

since you're not looking for loud then i would focuse on replacing the 6x9's with a nice 8'' sub.

Back